Accuracy Issues, Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accuracy Issues, Help Needed

I have a Marlin XS7 in .243 that I have had for a few years, maybe 100 rounds through the gun. For as long as I can remember it has given me fits with accuracy. I recently replaced the first scope with a brand new Vortex and attempted to sight it in. Got it on paper at 50 yards and backed it out to 100. This weapon will not hold a group at all. Adjustments made to the scope are not reflected on the target. I let two other guys shoot the rifle and they experienced the same issue. My first thought is the stock is probably junk, it's the factory synthetic. I know nothing of floating a barrel but I can tell by looking at the contact area from the base of the barrel to the muzzle that it is touching. Is there any use in trying to modify this stock or should I just replace with a better made option? I need to figure out what is causing the issues but if the barrel is bad (not sure how realistic that could be) I don't want to throw money at it just to find out its junk. Thanks in advance.

I shot my Savage .270 immediately after and held 2" groups at 100 yds, so I can rule out the dope behind the weapon.

Possible that weapon just doesn't like the projectile weight you're using? Maybe try going up or down to see if it helps?

Comment

I have tried rounds ranging from 65 to 100 grains, haven't found the sweet spot yet. Really can't right now, no ammo to be had. I found some Hornady 100gr so that's what we used the other day. I'd like to use a smaller round in hopes of better stabilization but still enough knock down power for a deer.

Comment

Okay, well if you've moved that much there should have been some sort of improvement if that was the issue. So, eliminated projectile weight, new scope... You checked the rings and base? After that, I'd be on to stock and bedding just like you've mentioned. Those rifles are usually known to be pretty accurate with the right ammunition. I really don't think the barrel would be bad, but it's possible I suppose.

Comment

this is a frustrating issue. personally I would check all the screws on the bottom of the gun mounting it to the stock. make sure all are tight. then I would physically shake the gun (without the scope on it) and see if I am hearing any rattling or feel anything moving, then I would try sighting the gun in at 50yds open sight. if all that is good and the gun seems to be grouping well open sights at 50yds, then I would say it is the scope. also, don't shoot to quick between rounds cause some barrels made of cheaper material really start slinging rounds when they are hot.

Comment

Put the old scope back on and try it.

Comment

The rifle does not have iron sights, smooth barrel. The old scope was moved to another weapon to determine if the scope was bad and it was BAD, an OLD Tasco, it's in a landfill somewhere.

My issue is if I am using different ammo, shouldn't I be consistently inaccurate? I would expect to have accuracy changes between different rounds but they should at least group. If I have a solid base, a consistent point of aim, then I should have consistent point of impact. I have taken the weapon completely apart (removed scope and stock) for inspection and reassembly and the only thing that is glaring at me is that the stock is touching the barrel in multiple places. I cannot get a dollar bill between the two at the end of the stock.

What I don't know is if it is worth the time to modify the synthetic stock or should I just buy a stock from a reputable after market?

Comment

Get some dowel rod and sand paper and go to work on the barrel Chanel. Cost hardly anything other than time.

Comment

I'm going to clean the barrel very well, sand the contact areas out of the stock, re-mount the scope and try to buy some 80ish grain rounds to see what, if any, changes we get.

Comment

Might want to try and different scope. I know you said it was new, but i had problems sighting in my 270 one time. Come to find out the turrets on my "new" scope were loose. sent it in for repair and works great now.

Comment

I've always found 243 to be a difficult round to get accurate in some rifles.

Comment

Uhhh I've found it quite the contrary. While this situation is definitely an issue, any 243 I've picked up factory or custom has been capable of at least MOA.

Comment

Ain't heard a word about CLEANING New take a while to settle in Cleaning Helps speed ip process

Comment

I would clean her real good especially the barrel sand out the barrel channel a little (no contact) and check the crown it may have some damage.

Comment

I’m betting your problems would be solved with a good quality scope.

Comment

Working...
                              X