No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went friday right behind the rain the deer and turkey were everywhere, walking in @ 2 pm ran into about 15 on my right 5 more on my left and turkey all in the same pasture i was stuck for 20 min. until they all moved off. Got a shot off @ 6:30 but was getting dark and shot over the deers back, clean miss. Also if you have cattle where you are the rancher was on his 4 wheeler last weekend checking fences after the storm, i've also seen the corp. wardens on kaw. mules out there before looking for deer stands that were unoccupied.
    Last edited by basscast; 10-10-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Looks like the "W" Lake is still coming up! Yea!
      And "A" lake will make for some great duck-n if it stays up!

Data from the Ft. Wroth District COE web sight.

"W" lake level: 522.11

"A" lake is a little over norm.

"A" Lake level: 539.16,
      Normal: 537.5

Comment

TG what is the norm for Whitney lake. Going hunting right after church I will need all the luck I can get.

Comment

Hunted Fri afternoon and saw four does. They came in right at me, so couldnt get a shot. The lead doe was the biggest, healthiest doe I have ever seen. Sat afternoon, saw a young six point, and doe and fawn. Not bad for my first weekend on coe land. Lot of work getting in and out, but I think Im gonna like it.

Comment

Anyone hunt Whitney during the week? I dont want to hunt weekends, when everyones there.. dont want to walk in past ya and disturb your setup, then be called an idiot or moron on this forum monday morning.. Im going to apologise now if i do disturb you gettin to my spot..Good luck to all.

Comment

I've hunted public for about 4 years now and probably can count on one hand the times i've been disturbed or the opposite, don't let it bother you. Had a hunter walk up on me once and decided i needed to move, was packing up and heard something turned around and a doe popped out @ 5 yards and looked at me, should have stayed put.

Comment

Originally posted by camodukhuntr View Post
                TG what is the norm for Whitney lake. Going hunting right after church I will need all the luck I can get.
                Camduk, normal level for W Lake is 533

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                Anyone hunt Whitney during the week? I dont want to hunt weekends, when everyones there.. dont want to walk in past ya and disturb your setup, then be called an idiot or moron on this forum monday morning.. Im going to apologise now if i do disturb you gettin to my spot..Good luck to all.
                I wouldn't worry to much about it. Its just part of hunting public. I've done it and have had it happen to me also. And it happens on leases too . If it happens, just nod an appoligy and back out and find another place or get on through as quietly as possible. As Basscast stated above, I've also had people push deer right to me too. What most get upset about is going in durring the evening prime time and stirring the noisy up during the last hour of light. Welcome to TBH Alan . Shall I add ya to my list of Burlesonites ?

Comment

Got in the woods early to try a new, old spot that had worked for me before got in early and helped SB get set in a new spot got up in a tree and hoped for the best after sitting the morning with no luck and after last weekends invasion hoping for the best. When at 5:30 I hear some noise to my left thinking alright a fellow steps up to my corn and starts looking to set up sitting still and not wanting to be rude I gave a heh-hem and he moved on politely. I settle back in, about 30 min. till dark off to my left i thought i saw something moving but not too sure so I sat still she came in and gave me a shot settled down took a few breaths and shot! CLEAN MISS man right over her back nerves shaking and disappointed I nocked another arrow and waited. She apparently didn't see me or know where or what happened, cautiously made a small circle around a clump of trees and came back to the same spot. I gave her a little bit to calm down and have a small last supper it was the least I could do .it was about 7:10-15ish and light was getting low she stayed with her right side quartered to me hard and her front and back feet touching together so I knew it would be a extreme angled shot I drew,anchored,took a breath and picked my spot and squeezed, THUMP THWACK. She jumped like she was trying to dunk on Jordan. then bolted. Waited till dark sent S.B. a text and started to get down. Looked for my arrow no where figured the thwack after the thump was the outside shoulder. Man S.B. showed up and we started looking around after about 15 to 20 min. we found her dead as a hammer.The spot on the LDP is the exit at the shoulder. GREAT HUNT WITH A GREAT FRIEND!!!!!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by COUNTRY BOY; 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the meat. Was a great shot and a quick recovery. Wish I could have went to the house and helped you finish her out. Hopefully I'll get a crack at one next weekend.

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Nice doe Bryan . Now, where did ya shoot her, cause everyone knows: "There ain't no deer at Whitney" .

Comment

Must be a wanderer from other lands far off

Comment

congrats CB. Nice slick head. I hunted at a buddies house seen alot of deer the weather kept them on there feet most of saturday. I had only one deer come into the feeder but he was a little to young for me to shoot a spike. My uncle hunted just north of me and watched four bucks feed for three hours at ten yards out of a pop up. My nerves would be shot. We were on a managment assistence program trying to take spikes and does and the only shooter spike was a piebal he doesn't want taken. I think the weather is going to help the hunters to take some nice deer this year.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks LW man I think my nerves would be shot too what a hunt though !!!

Comment

congrats CB! Nice, healthy doe, just like the ones I saw.

Comment

Working...
                                X