Barnes-Keith in review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnes-Keith in review

Last weekend a good friend and myself went to the Barnes-Keith for a 3 day rifle / bow hunt. I wanted the green screen to see my review after I reflected a few days

I’ll start with the good. The lodge is nice. It’s not a 5/star resort but it is comfortable with Wi-Fi and satellite TV for midday football. The food is incredible. The lady that cooks makes some of the best food you will ever eat. The guides are good guys that really want you to be successful.

The bad. Out of 5 hunters in camp only 2 does, a small buck, and couple hogs were killed. Most sits we didn’t see anything other than cows. Did I mention the cows??? They would come in and camp out waiting for the feeders to go off. If you ran them off they came back. Who knows what else was run off doing that too? Yes, the moon was full and there were acorns but no deer or pigs at all? Even driving around “safari style” we saw almost nothing. The guides mentioned the population on the ranch was way down too.

My 2 cents. For the cost, there should have been more opportunity even if we don’t succeed; there should be a chance. The fact that they are working cows in the hunting area should have been disclosed too. I grew up with cattle and don’t hate them but sitting in a blind on a paid hunt they are a pain. Until their deer / animal populations goes back up, I would not go back.

What was the price?

Comment

Originally posted by barbbar View Post
      what was the price?
      $4000

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
        $4000
        That's a lot for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
          $4000
          wow! Any offers for future discount hunts? Did you get to tell the owners about the cow issue?

Thank you for the update!

Comment

This was a ranch that I always wanted to hunt when I was younger. I wonder if this is just a down year, or how it has been for a while now.

Comment

$4k each??

Comment

I can kill that many animals on my 120 acre lease ($1700) on almost every weekend even with cows and no high fence. This is why I would never buy a HF hunt in the first place. You never really know if they are taking you to the best pastures with the bigger bucks or saving those hunts for better repeat clients or Television personalities that will give them great advertisement during the show. I can assure you that they know that some pastures are better than others and where their best bucks have been spotted. Sound like you were taken to the "GAR HOLE". I went on a day lease 30 years ago and got hosed @ Christoval. Never again.

This is from their website.
                Tom Nelson, host of the American Archer, films a bow hunting video for The Outdoor Channel at the ranch each year. A quote from a recent TV show, “There is no place like Barnes Keith Ranch in America!"

Comment

Heck that sounds like every ranch I know of in the area. Hunting has been absolutely horrible so far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                    wow! Any offers for future discount hunts? Did you get to tell the owners about the cow issue?

Thank you for the update!
                    The owner was not there. I emailed him.

Comment

This is what scares me about ever going to a hunting ranch and paying that much money. I'm not a rich guy and it would be a once in a life time hunt and I'd be devastaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        Heck that sounds like every ranch I know of in the area. Hunting has been absolutely horrible so far this year.
                        Amen to that !

Comment

Biggest drought in a decade. Acorn crop. Warm weather. Full moon.

Yeah idk why y’all didn’t see much lol. It’s hunting amigo. It’s been tough all over the state.

Comment

I have been on that ranch in the past guiding, hunting and working the cows you speak of. It has some great deer on it. I live just outside of Stonewall. I turned my feeder off two weeks ago. I can't buy a deer to look at. These are neighborhood type deer too. They are not coming to corn. You just chose an unfortunate time to go hunting. No one around is seeing deer at feeders that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                              I have been on that ranch in the past guiding, hunting and working the cows you speak of. It has some great deer on it. I live just outside of Stonewall. I turned my feeder off two weeks ago. I can't buy a deer to look at. These are neighborhood type deer too. They are not coming to corn. You just chose an unfortunate time to go hunting. No one around is seeing deer at feeders that I know.
                              We didn’t just hunt feeders. We drove the roads and glassed for deer and exotics. Nothing. The guides said the populations were down and never recovered from the freeze a couple years ago.

I know it’s hunting and not killing I’ve hunted for over 40 years. I paid to go on a hunt for a better opportunity that clearly was not there.

I was just posting so if anyone else was thinking about going here they may want wait a couple years.

Comment

Working...
                              X