Jumping into Traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping into Traditional

Just ordered a Mountaineer 2.0 takedown recurve with 55lbs limbs. Entry level bow but saw a bunch of good reviews. Ordered last Friday and hope to get it this week. Had a long bow and recurve back in 2010 but lost in the fires in Bastrop in 2011. Mainly did some back yard practice but never hunted with them. Will be doing lots of practice before I even think about hunting.
    Any recommended Traditional vendors along with 3 Rivers Archery anyone can recommend.

Lancaster has a good selection of Trad stuff.

For strings I use Lane Holcomb. Very reasonable price for a great string. Others make good strings, also, but lane is responsive and quick to make your string. He has a facebook presence.

E.W. Bateman makes some great leather goods for archery.

Jerry Deweese at Stickbowsupplies.com has some good deals on blemmished factory shafts, and other items. Good to deal with.
    Last edited by SJP51; 10-31-2022, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Jerry Dewese is awesome and so is Nobel Sinclair, if they can’t get it for me I go to 3RIVERS . #55 is pretty steep to be starting off at regardless of what your compound bow might be, but I’d personally start off significantly lower pounds in a samick Sage. Be forewarned that this is a hellova addiction. Enjoy the journey and hit up some 3D events.

Comment

Get one about 20lbs less and your learning curve will be shorter, less painful and you'll end up enjoying the journey a lot more.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree with the other comments start with alower poundage bow. I have a 55# longbow and 30# recurve. I am shooting with both but my ability to use the 55# longbow properly is limited to a few shots a day.
          Can shoot the 30# longer than I like to. [emoji3]

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

I started shooting traditional after 18 years of hunting with a compound.
            It’s the only thing I have any interest in hunting with now. There’s just something really cool about taking game with a primitive weapon. I shoot 50 lbs on my compound and about 42 on the longbow.
            Watched a lot of Clay Hayes videos on YouTube for guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              I started shooting traditional after 18 years of hunting with a compound.
              It’s the only thing I have any interest in hunting with now. There’s just something really cool about taking game with a primitive weapon. I shoot 50 lbs on my compound and about 42 on the longbow.
              Watched a lot of Clay Hayes videos on YouTube for guidance.
              Clay Hayes is the man. I also watched a lot of "Online Archery Academy" on youtube.

I started with a 57# recurve. Huge mistake.

Comment

Picked up my recurve from Double G in Georgetown yesterday. I already shot it about 50 times, WOW the joy of relearning how to shoot a bow is great. Have to remember to aim "low", look down the arrow but I have made some good shots, 5 out of 50, and starting out between 12 and 15 yards. Have not lost an arrow yet, so calling it a Win.

Comment

[emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only been shooting a recurve for 3 hunting seasons but have already harvested 6 deer so it is addictive. Best advice I received was start with low poundage as allows to practice lot more & also prevents lot of bad habits from pulling heavy weight. I still hunt with my 40# bow.

Comment

Cool. Yes in just 3 days I am addicted. I am thinking about getting another "starter" bow maybe from Cabelas or Academy and put this aside until I build up experience. Thanks for all input and advice.

Comment

can't offer much advice because I'm still a newb, but agree with 55# being a very stout weight to be a starter bow.

I didn't fall into the 35-40# bow mindset when i started, but my first rig was 42#. sold it and bought two 55# bows which at my draw is 47-48#. Then got a 60# bow that is 54# at my draw.

The 54# bow is much stouter than the 48# bows. the 48# bow is very comfortable to shoot, where the 54#....not so much

My only other advice i would offer, and i wish i had learned about it sooner, was back tension. I draw my compound using my back and can smoothly draw 80lbs, on the recurve i was using my arm and shoulder, not my back and it was causing me some issues I had due to a previous injury.

Learn to use your back muscles on the draw and anchor, it will help you

Comment

Lot's of helpful info here. Very little of it came from me other than the "what not to do". It has defiantly brought back the joys of shooting my bow again.

Comment

Not to discourage you, but if just starting out... your form will suffer with 55lb bow. If you like the bow, order one just like it (or another set of limbs) with 35-40 draw weight.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'm actually looking to order a second set of limbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X