Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

26 Year Archery Veteran Becomes A Rookie!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most all of us that trad hunt have been there. I Struggled with it when I first started but worked through it. I missed the first six deer I shot at. But once you get it down you've got it. I know you know this already but remember to pick a spot and focus only on that spot from before you start drawing until you see the fletchings bury in it. If you loose focus for any reason let down and start over. That's what has worked for me and everyone I've coached along the way. Good luck! It'll happen.

Comment

Dumb question but what made the broadhead arrow fly bad when a field point arrow did ok?

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        Dumb question but what made the broadhead arrow fly bad when a field point arrow did ok?

If the arrow is out of tune, it can cause wonky flight with broadheads. That’s why you should always shoot your broadhead arrows after you think you have the tune with field points.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          If the arrow is out of tune, it can cause wonky flight with broadheads. That’s why you should always shoot your broadhead arrows after you think you have the tune with field points.

Bisch

I just realized I never shot a broadhead out of my Super K until yesterday.

Broadhead seemed to fly ok but going to confirm in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
            You guys may not like This but I’ll say it anyway. Is this fair to the animal? Maybe perfect your art before slinging arrows at deer.
            You're not wrong amigo and it is something that I struggle with morally. My justification is this. The only way to think you're ready to walk into the woods with any weapon is to practice practice practice. You can't practice more than I have over the last few months and there's no world where I would carry anything into the woods that I didn't feel capable with. I know my limits and I don't push it. The only way I know to overcome target panic is exposure. At the end of the day, God designed this world to where NOTHING goes to waste. It's hard to see it that way sometimes and fatally wounding a deer and not recovering it will haunt me for years if it happens. I know this because it has happened with every weapon I have chosen to hunt with. I have lost one or two with a rifle, and a few with a bow. Fortunately if I do lose the animal it doesn't go to waste, it was just me that didn't get to eat it. Coyotes, hogs, coons, bobcats etc all have to eat. If not a single scavenger finds it the nutrients goes back into the ground and fertilizes the earth. I didn't take offense to what you said. Trust me it's a constant debate with myself.

Comment

I'm going to look into this ShotIQ business!

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
              Most all of us that trad hunt have been there. I Struggled with it when I first started but worked through it. I missed the first six deer I shot at. But once you get it down you've got it. I know you know this already but remember to pick a spot and focus only on that spot from before you start drawing until you see the fletchings bury in it. If you loose focus for any reason let down and start over. That's what has worked for me and everyone I've coached along the way. Good luck! It'll happen.
              That last part is so simple and so brilliant! It's amazing how our brain tells us that once we're at full draw the only option is to shoot. Thank you for that!

I'm shooting a full length 400 spine shaft and was way under spines. Cutting the arrow down allowed the shaft to stiffen. If I'd tan out of room the next option would have been to drop point weight.

Comment

26 Year Archery Veteran Becomes A Rookie!!!

I have a question; what is your draw length???

The reason I ask is that you said in your OP that you bow is 40#@28”. If your draw weight is 40# at your draw length, there is no possible way that a .400 spine shaft is not too stiff, unless you have a very high front end weight, like 300gr or more. So, if you cut it down and made it stiffer, it is even further off from where it should be.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                  You're not wrong amigo and it is something that I struggle with morally. My justification is this. The only way to think you're ready to walk into the woods with any weapon is to practice practice practice. You can't practice more than I have over the last few months and there's no world where I would carry anything into the woods that I didn't feel capable with. I know my limits and I don't push it. The only way I know to overcome target panic is exposure. At the end of the day, God designed this world to where NOTHING goes to waste. It's hard to see it that way sometimes and fatally wounding a deer and not recovering it will haunt me for years if it happens. I know this because it has happened with every weapon I have chosen to hunt with. I have lost one or two with a rifle, and a few with a bow. Fortunately if I do lose the animal it doesn't go to waste, it was just me that didn't get to eat it. Coyotes, hogs, coons, bobcats etc all have to eat. If not a single scavenger finds it the nutrients goes back into the ground and fertilizes the earth. I didn't take offense to what you said. Trust me it's a constant debate with myself.
                  Glad you understood where I was coming from, I did not intend for my post to be an attack on you in any way. I struggle personally with the same things and that is why I have been so hesitant to take up archery, I cannot find the time to practice enough to become effective. I hunt with a bunch of customers every year and have grown angry with what I’ll call the October only archer. Guy pulls his bow out Sep 30 shoots three or four arrows and heads to the woods. I have paid for a ton of wounded animals over the last few years and have grown bitter. I know that folks can be effective with archery equipment but it takes practice and a ton of it. Most archers I know don’t put in the work. Best of luck to you the rest of the year!

Comment

Yeah it does suck when guys do that. Both my ranch partners are that way. But we get them practicing in camp some and let them wound and lose pigs before they can shoot a deer.
                    Keeping feeders at 15 yards has helped this though. Even though they are compound shooters. [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a question; what is your draw length???

The reason I ask is that you said in your OP that you bow is 40#@28”. If your draw weight is 40# at your draw length, there is no possible way that a .400 spine shaft is not too stiff, unless you have a very high front end weight, like 300gr or more. So, if you cut it down and made it stiffer, it is even further off from where it should be.

Bisch

Right at 30" and I'm at 275gr upfront.

Comment

Running them full length?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                          Right at 30" and I'm at 275gr upfront.

Ok! That explains it. So your actual draw weight at your DL is about 46#, and with that much weight up front I can see it working.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Running them full length?

I was. I cut 1 5/8" off.

Ok! That explains it. So your actual draw weight at your DL is about 46#, and with that much weight up front I can see it working.

Bisch

Thanks a bunch. I'm wide open to info on uphill climb

Comment

Broadheads exacerbate a bad tune flight or mildly bad tune flight. Adding broadheads to an arrow adds wings to the front of a shaft.
                              IMO the broadhead “grabs” the air with friction, lift and drag, for better or for worse. Some say the broadhead “steers” the arrow, for better or for worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Broadheads exacerbate a bad tune flight or mildly bad tune flight. Adding broadheads to an arrow adds wings to the front of a shaft.
                                IMO the broadhead “grabs” the air with friction, lift and drag, for better or for worse. Some say the broadhead “steers” the arrow, for better or for worse.
                                At what range would that normally reveal itself?

Comment

Working...
                                X