No announcement yet.

2022 Handgun Hunting Theead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@drycreek3189 and @fish4food, no doubt! It was an awesome trip and I’ve said (and maintain) that success will never be measured by an animal on the ground. This was my 4th year out west…it literally consumes my thoughts all year. We’re already planning next years hunt and thinking of changing it up a little. Possibly an antelope and/or muley hunt somewhere.

Comment

I plan on using my contenders almost exclusively during rifle season this year. Been playing with some 44 magnum loads.

Shot a few 240xtp loaded soft at 1000fps and had decent expansion on water jugs at 100 yards. I also just ordered some 325gr hard cast and some 250gr soft allow hollow points from Matt’s bullets to tinker with.

I need to dial in my 7-30 waters pistol and use it this year too. I just have to settle on a good bullet for it.

Comment

Randy, well, I missed your sweet .44 Mag for sale. So, what format do you prefer for pig/deer hunting in Texas? Single action, double action or semi-auto (.10mm)?

My eyes suk, so will use one of the great green dot reflex sights.

What's your "go-to" load/ammo in your .44 Magnum?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
          Randy, well, I missed your sweet .44 Mag for sale. So, what format do you prefer for pig/deer hunting in Texas? Single action, double action or semi-auto (.10mm)?

My eyes suk, so will use one of the great green dot reflex sights.

What's your "go-to" load/ammo in your .44 Magnum?
          Thanks
          Hey Buzz. It’s hard to beat a Ruger super Blackhawk, super Redhawk, or Redhawk for an all around hunting pistol. If you can step up the budget a little, then I’d say go for a BFR. Any of those will serve you well, for a lifetime. And I’d go with a 44 magnum in terms of caliber.

For an all around 44 mag load, I like any of the 240 grain jacketed bullets (aframe, xtp, Sierra). Nothing wrong with cast, but for pigs and deer, I prefer the bigger wound channel that a jacketed hollow point or jacketed soft point gives you. For powder, H110 has always been solid for me. And H110 likes a full or almost full case so I’d say start with 23 grains and see how it does. If you’re happy, leave it. But you can also go up to 24 grains and still be within book max.

Good luck with it and make sure you post pics and a report as it develops!

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            I plan on using my contenders almost exclusively during rifle season this year. Been playing with some 44 magnum loads.

Shot a few 240xtp loaded soft at 1000fps and had decent expansion on water jugs at 100 yards. I also just ordered some 325gr hard cast and some 250gr soft allow hollow points from Matt’s bullets to tinker with.

I need to dial in my 7-30 waters pistol and use it this year too. I just have to settle on a good bullet for it.

Nice! Can’t wait to see your pics this season.

What powder are you using for the 44 loads?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
              Nice! Can’t wait to see your pics this season.

What powder are you using for the 44 loads?
              H110 mainly. I have had some full power loads but they are a little punishing on a 8” contender.

Comment

Here is the recovers 240gr xtp from my water jug expansion test at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I found the holy grail of 44 mag projectiles! Check the expansion out on this one! I got some lead bullets from Matt’s bullets this one is a 250gr hollow point. Shot into water at 100 yards and it had expanded to .915” over doubled in size. It also retained 100% of the original weight.

Comment

^^^^ That’s impressive ! How many jugs did it penetrate ? What was the approximate muzzle velocity ?

Comment

I think I found the holy grail of 44 mag projectiles! Check the expansion out on this one! I got some lead bullets from Matt’s bullets this one is a 250gr hollow point. Shot into water at 100 yards and it had expanded to .915” over doubled in size. It also retained 100% of the original weight.

Dang Chris that expanded good, how fast can you push those before leading?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Dang Chris that expanded good, how fast can you push those before leading?
                        Probably not to fast they are intended for 44 special velocity. I have them at 1056 fps right now. And don’t think I need any more velocity. I think if I push them harder the bullets will come apart on impact

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          ^^^^ That’s impressive ! How many jugs did it penetrate ? What was the approximate muzzle velocity ?
                          Went through 2 jugs then turned found on the ground. Mv1056

Comment

Went through 2 jugs then turned found on the ground. Mv1056
                            That’s plenty for our deer and hogs. I’m gonna have to try those bullets.

Comment

I like shooting lead. Us
                              Ed them on a bunch of hogs back in the day. If you try to push them too fast you will get barrel leading. Never had that problem with gas checks.

Comment

Sat in the brush blind Wednesday morning. Throughout the morning there were up to 10 squirrels eating corn off the ground. 1 smart sucker laid flat and was in the gap of the feeder. It squirreled its way to the spinner plate and was eating corn off it.

Ended my morning hunt, and went to town to get more corn to top off the feeder. Came back and 1 squirrel stayed around.

Tuesday I spent a little time at the range shooting a Ruger Blackhawk 6.5” barrel 357. I was shooting 38 specials @ 10, 15, 20 yards. At 20, my groups were about 3” standing.

Anyhow, I see this squirrel on a tree limb at about 20 yards. Sent 1. And then.

Pretty sure it’s a 158 hard cast.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X