Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2022, 01:37 AM   #151
RedYote
Six Point
 
RedYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Shot from a pulsar video
Attached Images
 
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #152
sharkhunter
Pope & Young
 
sharkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tarkington , TX
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Before I messaged Pulsar I thought I’d see if anybody has any other suggestions. I have an older Pulsar xp38 that is having some issues. How is pulsar on working on older scopes? I think this one is about 6 yrs old. I’m the second owner. It starts getting grainy vertical lines and the contrast gets bad. You have to pull the batteries to get it to reset and get a clear image again.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2022, 03:08 AM   #153
bowtecmike
Ten Point
 
bowtecmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shallowater,tx
Hunt In: Kent County,
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedYote View Post
Shot from a pulsar video
Are those piglets or coons under the feeder? How far away is the feeder?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
bowtecmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #154
RedYote
Six Point
 
RedYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
Are those piglets or coons under the feeder? How far away is the feeder?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
Feeder is about 85 yards. 2 coons under it and one hanging from the varmint cage that is blending in with the trees. Shot the hog and 2 coons.

Last edited by RedYote; 03-28-2022 at 08:06 AM.
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #155
El Paisano
Ten Point
 
El Paisano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Conway, AR and Grapeland, TX
Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
Lets talk Thermal Monocular.

I've been kicking the idea around about getting one because scanning through my scope on my rifle gets tiring after a while.

The 2 budget friendly option I have been looking at are the PULSAR AXION KEY XM30 2.5-10X THERMAL MONOCULAR or the AGM TAIPAN TM19-384 1.9-15.2X THERMAL MONOCULAR.

Who has which and how do you like them?
I use an older Sig unit mounted on part of a CO2 pistol handle.
Attached Images
 
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #156
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
I use an older Sig unit mounted on part of a CO2 pistol handle.
I think I have seen it all now
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #157
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Before I messaged Pulsar I thought Iíd see if anybody has any other suggestions. I have an older Pulsar xp38 that is having some issues. How is pulsar on working on older scopes? I think this one is about 6 yrs old. Iím the second owner. It starts getting grainy vertical lines and the contrast gets bad. You have to pull the batteries to get it to reset and get a clear image again.
You'll just have to see what they say. Some of the more in depth repairs can't be done in the US and even if they can do a repair here, sometimes the parts for older models aren't available.

I'd contact them and see what they say. I wouldn't give it a very good chance they'll be able to help since it's out of warranty buy so long but fingers are crossed for you!

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #158
Chompers
Four Point
 
Chompers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Argyle, TX
Hunt In: Mills Co. TX
Default

Guys, I’m hooked! Picked up a Helion 2 scanner a couple months ago and let’s just say it snowballed. So I picked up a Ratlr 35 a couple weeks ago and thought I was happy but invited a friend out who had a Halo, but I can’t find stock anywhere so I’m waiting on delivery later today for a Trijicon IR-Hunter Type 2. 4 coyotes and about a dozen hogs since I got in the game and I love it.
Chompers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #159
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
Guys, Iím hooked! Picked up a Helion 2 scanner a couple months ago and letís just say it snowballed. So I picked up a Ratlr 35 a couple weeks ago and thought I was happy but invited a friend out who had a Halo, but I canít find stock anywhere so Iím waiting on delivery later today for a Trijicon IR-Hunter Type 2. 4 coyotes and about a dozen hogs since I got in the game and I love it.
This is why I always tell people to save more money!

They buy cheap and then sell and flip it and lose money

I just sold my Trijicon Reap and got an N Vision Halo 50x
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #160
bass.deer
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Default

I know very little about thermal so please bear with me on my questions. Can thermal scopes be used in daylight?
bass.deer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2022, 05:01 PM   #161
RedYote
Six Point
 
RedYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass.deer View Post
I know very little about thermal so please bear with me on my questions. Can thermal scopes be used in daylight?
Sure
Attached Images
  
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #162
jofus
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Default

Sounds like the iRay alphaís will be available this month. Has anyone heard when, and if theyíll have a compatible LRF for it?
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #163
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young
 
gonehuntin68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Victoria, TX
Hunt In: Victoria and Goliad county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
First time hunting with the Wraith 2x. I like the scope, but would like to upgrade the illuminator. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post
Do you get a color light or IR. If IR which wave length? Using with a wraithÖ
Go with the IR 850. With the 50LRX IR 850 and wraith, you should be able to identify around 500 yards.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #164
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point
 
Tejas Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cross Plains, TX. (Best speed trap in TX)
Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default Naw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I think I have seen it all now
Wait till you see the holster he made for it!! lol
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #165
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus View Post
Sounds like the iRay alphaís will be available this month. Has anyone heard when, and if theyíll have a compatible LRF for it?

There will not be a LRF for the Alpha. It was made without a picatinny rail mount on the left side for the add on LRF module.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2022, 10:58 PM   #166
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default 2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Iíve got a Thermion 2 XP50 on a colt le901 .308 and it sucks scanning riding in a sxs. I bought a Wilson combat 6.8 Spc to hopefully cut down on the weight so it wonít be as bad.

My next purchase will probably be a handheld for scanning but i would want the same quailing as my thermal.

Iím sure I will have a bunch of questions because I havenít taken it out but a couple of times.

I feel like I was having trouble identifying some animals last time i took it out but i may not have had it focused correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Black Ice; 04-03-2022 at 11:03 PM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #167
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass.deer View Post
I know very little about thermal so please bear with me on my questions. Can thermal scopes be used in daylight?
YES! They look the same in daylight or at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Iíve got a Thermion 2 XP50 on a colt le901 .308 and it sucks scanning riding in a sxs. I bought a Wilson combat 6.8 Spc to hopefully cut down on the weight so it wonít be as bad.

My next purchase will probably be a handheld for scanning but i would want the same quailing as my thermal.

Iím sure I will have a bunch of questions because I havenít taken it out but a couple of times.

I feel like I was having trouble identifying some animals last time i took it out but i may not have had it focused correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buy a 2nd scope, not a dedicated scanner.

Can be used for your kids or a 2nd buddy scope.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2022, 09:34 AM   #168
cehorn
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Hunt In: Brown County
Default

Anyone have any issues with their Wraith 4k not powering on? It has been a month or so since I used mine and I couldn't get it to turn on in the deer stand. I assumed the battery was dead but I have a portable charger and hooked that up and still nothing. Then I went back to the cabin and used a different cord plugged in to the wall outlet and still nothing. I'm at a loss as to what to do next outside of calling Sightmark which I'll do. I just wanted to see if there was something easy I'm missing?? Any insight is appreciated.
cehorn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #169
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

Got my hands on a thermal for the first time now I NEED one. An old friend of mine bought a i ray Rico mk1 from Jason and wants me to mount it and teach him how to use it… this thing is BAD AZZ!!!

The one down fall is the mount.

How do the cost effective thermals compare? I’d like one but can’t justify 4 grand.



Jason I’ll call you in a bit about the mount for the Rico he wants me to get it for him.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #170
Bazo
Pope & Young
 
Bazo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Where I can
Default

I got 2 Saturday night with my new Thermion 2 XQ38 Pulsar sent me for a warranty replacement for my XM30.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #171
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

I doubt it, but just in case someone has a hook up and got one somehow....


---> Does anyone have the Pulsar Talion XQ38 yet?
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 03:19 PM   #172
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Got my hands on a thermal for the first time now I NEED one. An old friend of mine bought a i ray Rico mk1 from Jason and wants me to mount it and teach him how to use itÖ this thing is BAD AZZ!!!

The one down fall is the mount.

How do the cost effective thermals compare? Iíd like one but canít justify 4 grand.



Jason Iíll call you in a bit about the mount for the Rico he wants me to get it for him.
I have the Iray Riko MK1. You need to buy the better mount around $200. Its so much better but still not as good as Trijicons

Please do not spend less then $2800 on a thermal
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #173
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

I finally got a good hunt in with my Nvision Halo 50x. I love it!

I sold my reap IR after 4.5 years and I do not regret it. I love the size of my Reap, so I am not used to my Halo X yet as I popped my Reap on and off to scan then shoot. The mount on the Nvision is not as good and easy to do that with

So I will likely look at the Iray 35 mm 640 or Nvsion Halo X35 for a scanner/2nd scope
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #174
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Heading to San Saba this week for a little night hog hunting.

After a 13 month wait I finally got my Hyperion K in last night and need to get everything put together.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2022, 09:57 PM   #175
Shurshot
Ten Point
 
Shurshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county
Default

Fox I got a few weeks ago on a super windy night.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2022, 10:46 PM   #176
ElfEyes
Ten Point
 
ElfEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nederland, TX
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Is 25 too low of a refresh rate for shooting animals on the move?
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #177
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young
 
Pushbutton2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Primghar,Iowa
Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County (2017 - 2022)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
Is 25 too low of a refresh rate for shooting animals on the move?
I would think so
I'd never considered refresh rate before. So I did a quick 5 minute search on it.
Found this
https://www.testufo.com/framerates#c...=stars&pps=960

I have no idea what the refresh rate is on my Pulsar RXQ30V nor on my Sightmark Wraith. I've shot at moving animals in the past with out any issues.

Just checked on the refresh rate of the Pulsar it's 50HZ

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 04-21-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #178
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
Is 25 too low of a refresh rate for shooting animals on the move?
Yes!

That tells me its either a super cheap scope AND/OR very outdated. I have never seen anything less then 50
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #179
TX03RUBI
Pope & Young
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Last night we had the pre party to our big annual shindig at a buddies place. Went out and non seriously slayed a few hogs (16-17 between 4-5 shooters) mostly while d***ing off checking out each other’s gear. We had 4 Halo XRFs, a NOX 35, a NOX 18, a Reap IR 35, MK3 60mm, Iray Rico Mk1, Trail 2 XP50LRF, XG50, Iray RH25, and Iray MH25, plus about 8-9 sets of green and white tube NODs helmet mounted. After playing with all of them quite a bit in humid weather I’d say the NOX 35 would be my next purchase without a doubt. Highly useful optic and fantastic image quality.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #180
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Last night we had the pre party to our big annual shindig at a buddies place. Went out and non seriously slayed a few hogs (16-17 between 4-5 shooters) mostly while d***ing off checking out each otherís gear. We had 4 Halo XRFs, a NOX 35, a NOX 18, a Reap IR 35, MK3 60mm, Iray Rico Mk1, Trail 2 XP50LRF, XG50, Iray RH25, and Iray MH25, plus about 8-9 sets of green and white tube NODs helmet mounted. After playing with all of them quite a bit in humid weather Iíd say the NOX 35 would be my next purchase without a doubt. Highly useful optic and fantastic image quality.
Some serious shooters with that gear! I love it

I got a HALO 50x now and got a HALO 35x on order at dealer cash price. Ready for it to come in
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #181
TX03RUBI
Pope & Young
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Some serious shooters with that gear! I love it

I got a HALO 50x now and got a HALO 35x on order at dealer cash price. Ready for it to come in
Definitely some serious shooters in the group, but there was nothing serious about last night. We let quite a few hogs get away cause everyone was more interested in checking out the gear than pulling the trigger lol it was a good ol time for sure. We do this shindig every year, and Thursday night is always goon night. After that weíre too deep into beer and meat to get the rifles out.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #182
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default 2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Definitely some serious shooters in the group, but there was nothing serious about last night. We let quite a few hogs get away cause everyone was more interested in checking out the gear than pulling the trigger lol it was a good ol time for sure. We do this shindig every year, and Thursday night is always goon night. After that weíre too deep into beer and meat to get the rifles out.

I could have bought the setup I have now years ago and never did because I was more interested in buying bolt guns vs cool accessories.

That thermal, suppressor and 6.8 SPC make it way more fun than lights, no suppressor and .223.

Lights still have their place but spotting and stalking a few pigs then thermals are the way to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Black Ice; 04-23-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 01:22 AM   #183
RedYote
Six Point
 
RedYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Couple more
Attached Images
  
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #184
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Definitely some serious shooters in the group, but there was nothing serious about last night. We let quite a few hogs get away cause everyone was more interested in checking out the gear than pulling the trigger lol it was a good ol time for sure. We do this shindig every year, and Thursday night is always goon night. After that weíre too deep into beer and meat to get the rifles out.
Same here lol when we do annual guys trips!

I love it. Your living right
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #185
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
Is 25 too low of a refresh rate for shooting animals on the move?
If they animals are standing dead still and you're only looking to take one shot, then yes it will work BUT I would absolutely advise against it. 30hz was the standard until about 2016-2017 and back then 50/60hz was something you generally paid a $1,000 upgrade fee to get. By 2017 everyone was moving to 50/60hz as a standard refresh rate. In this day and age, there is no reason to buy less than 50hz.

I hope this helps.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #186
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

The mythical iRay USA Alpha has finally arrived! It's been over a year but limited production has finally started and the design, housing and function is everything it was promised to be. We'll be reviewing this optic on The Late Night Vision Show in the next couple weeks.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...l-weapon-sight
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 04-25-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #187
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
If they animals are standing dead still and you're only looking to take one shot, then yes it will work BUT I would absolutely advise against it. 30hz was the standard until about 2016-2017 and back then 50/60hz was something you generally paid a $1,000 upgrade fee to get. By 2017 everyone was moving to 50/60hz as a standard refresh rate. In this day and age, there is no reason to buy less than 50hz.

I hope this helps.
Very well said! That's why I said his scope in ? must be really old
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #188
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Been looking at the Talion XQ-38 and waiting for it to come out so I can read some reviews, but since it's not available thought about the Thermion XQ38. Did a quick side by side comparison on the Pulsar website and they're pretty similar. The Talion Price and battery life seem to be the biggest advantages.

Now, I'm no expert and I'm sure I missed some big advantages that the Thermion has. Can someone tell me what it is about the Thermion that makes it the better option over the Talion?
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #189
Fordnandez
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Round Rock, TX
Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX
Default

Hunt from earlier in the month where we got a few fox.

https://youtu.be/qic5BjEGwrc

Hog Hunt that Bazo made from the picture further up.

https://youtu.be/I60mhMIXacs
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2022, 12:56 PM   #190
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
Been looking at the Talion XQ-38 and waiting for it to come out so I can read some reviews, but since it's not available thought about the Thermion XQ38. Did a quick side by side comparison on the Pulsar website and they're pretty similar. The Talion Price and battery life seem to be the biggest advantages.

Now, I'm no expert and I'm sure I missed some big advantages that the Thermion has. Can someone tell me what it is about the Thermion that makes it the better option over the Talion?
I know you and I have been talking via PM and I replied to your question there but I'm going to post that summary here as well because I've had another phone call and email asking the same question in the last 18 hours, so you're not the only one confused.

This is going to be long but hopefully might help some folks....

This is where comparing thermal optics on paper completely breaks down and the specs become nearly useless. The Thermion 2 XQ38 is going to be a superior optic and Pulsar has stated that the Talion is intended to be an entry level scope and it's being built to compete with the AGM Rattler and Bering Hogsters in the same price category.

On paper things can look the same but what you're not seeing is the quality of the front glass lens, the quality of the germanium lens, exactly which thermal sensor they are using and it's quality, the thermal core and software behind that core, the quality of the display screen or the quality of the rear eyepiece. The point is, the specs only get you so far and its honestly where real hands on experience is going to be the only way to tell for a 100% fact how the two scopes will compare. But I know that the Thermion 2 XQ38 is their flagship model and they will not be replacing it or building a competing optic and sell it for $2,500. It's just not going to happen right now.

I completely understand the confusion because on paper so many optics all look the same or are darn close to it but you're only seeing 50% of the important specs and details and the other data is honestly more important than the specs you're reading. I've seen different scopes using the exact same brand and resolution thermal sensor and one of the scopes looks like a million bucks and the other looks like a reject. By looking on paper you'll never know it, but the proof is in the pudding.

I know that's a long write up and it will honestly frustrate more people than it helps because we all want to be able to look at a piece of paper and know how a thermal scope is going to perform but it's just not possible. It really takes talking to someone who's put them all side by side to know for sure.


Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #191
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I know you and I have been talking via PM and I replied to your question there but I'm going to post that summary here as well because I've had another phone call and email asking the same question in the last 18 hours, so you're not the only one confused.

This is going to be long but hopefully might help some folks....

This is where comparing thermal optics on paper completely breaks down and the specs become nearly useless. The Thermion 2 XQ38 is going to be a superior optic and Pulsar has stated that the Talion is intended to be an entry level scope and it's being built to compete with the AGM Rattler and Bering Hogsters in the same price category.

On paper things can look the same but what you're not seeing is the quality of the front glass lens, the quality of the germanium lens, exactly which thermal sensor they are using and it's quality, the thermal core and software behind that core, the quality of the display screen or the quality of the rear eyepiece. The point is, the specs only get you so far and its honestly where real hands on experience is going to be the only way to tell for a 100% fact how the two scopes will compare. But I know that the Thermion 2 XQ38 is their flagship model and they will not be replacing it or building a competing optic and sell it for $2,500. It's just not going to happen right now.

I completely understand the confusion because on paper so many optics all look the same or are darn close to it but you're only seeing 50% of the important specs and details and the other data is honestly more important than the specs you're reading. I've seen different scopes using the exact same brand and resolution thermal sensor and one of the scopes looks like a million bucks and the other looks like a reject. By looking on paper you'll never know it, but the proof is in the pudding.

I know that's a long write up and it will honestly frustrate more people than it helps because we all want to be able to look at a piece of paper and know how a thermal scope is going to perform but it's just not possible. It really takes talking to someone who's put them all side by side to know for sure.


Jason
Thank you sir!

Honestly I was embarrassed to ask you another question and thought I'd post it on here to see if I can get an answer without bothering you again.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #192
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
Thank you sir!

Honestly I was embarrassed to ask you another question and thought I'd post it on here to see if I can get an answer without bothering you again.
You aren't bothering me! We all learn from asking questions and these are expensive optics and not asking the right questions FIRST means wasted money later. Ask away!

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 11:09 PM   #193
duckmanep
Pope & Young
 
duckmanep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northeast TX
Default

Jason, any word on when the Talion will be released?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #194
Blessed to hunt
Six Point
 
Blessed to hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Don't have thermal is on my dream list though, every time I save some money something comes up, hopefully I can afford to get a used one from one of y'all that gets a new upgrade
Blessed to hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 01:20 AM   #195
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
Jason, any word on when the Talion will be released?

No sir, radio silence. The last I was told was early May.

The 3 new Axion handheld models showed up a couple weeks ago so that's a good sign. Hopefully the Talions will follow them soon....

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #196
ATI
Ten Point
 
ATI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wylie, TEXAS
Hunt In: TEXAS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
No sir, radio silence. The last I was told was early May.

The 3 new Axion handheld models showed up a couple weeks ago so that's a good sign. Hopefully the Talions will follow them soon....

Jason
By the way, I just found out that the Talion XQ35 is for Europe only.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #197
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed to hunt View Post
Don't have thermal is on my dream list though, every time I save some money something comes up, hopefully I can afford to get a used one from one of y'all that gets a new upgrade
Budget and set it aside and you will have one in no time. Thermal market price wise has alot of good entry level scopes.

Can't budget and spend it on something else
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #198
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
By the way, I just found out that the Talion XQ35 is for Europe only.
I haven't heard of the Talion XQ35? There is a Talion XQ38 and Talion XG35 both of which are supposed to be US models according to Pulsar USA. Maybe they announced the Talion XQ35 in Europe and I missed it? I don't usually pay close attention to what goes on across the pond.lol
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #199
Fordnandez
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Round Rock, TX
Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX
Default

Video from one of RedYotes hunts.

https://youtu.be/i35MQLay8wA
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #200
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Video from one of RedYotes hunts.

https://youtu.be/i35MQLay8wA
It still amazes me how people spend more money on a scanner then they do with what they actually shoot/hunt with
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com