Dove nuggets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove nuggets

This came about as an accident. I took a kid hunting last week and he pretty well demanded we cook some of the doves we shot. I had stuff to fry them but no flour. I ended up using a packet of instant mashed potatoes as the breading and wow. This is good!

Bacon wrapped dove is good but boring, gotta get creative!

Cut the breasts off the bone and season. Roll in the instant potatoes and fry for a few minutes. Juicy with a nice crunch from the breading.

Eat as is or grab your favorite dipping sauces.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How clever of you to think of using potato flakes! They are also good incorporated into fresh baked bread.

I’ve used a number of things to “bread” my fish and game. Currently, corn flakes are my favorite. Great crunch and they provide a nice bit of sweetness, too.

Comment

try using shrimp boil breading

Comment

That looks good!

Comment

In a pinch out ritz crackers in a bag and break em down to crumbs. Sometimes my wife does this for backstrap.

Comment

Man, I love me some chicken fried dove. Looks great.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            Currently, corn flakes are my favorite. Great crunch and they provide a nice bit of sweetness, too.
            I agree! Plucker's (wing spot) uses 2 parts corn flakes and 1 part rice krispies to bread their fried pickles, etc. Like mentioned above, ritz crackers are great too. Especially on fresh trout/redfish.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              Man, I love me some chicken fried dove. Looks great.

I agree! Plucker's (wing spot) uses 2 parts corn flakes and 1 part rice krispies to bread their fried pickles, etc. Like mentioned above, ritz crackers are great too. Especially on fresh trout/redfish.

This is an interesting idea. I suspect the rice crispies add some lightness to the cornflake crust. I have a really good redfish recipe from an old Hudson’s on the Bend cookbook I have. I think I’ll try incorporating rice crispies to compare/contrast.

Thanks for the idea!

Comment

SO you didn't dip in buttermilk or anything else..... just season, roll in potato flakes & fry ???.... Interesting, I'm gonna give it a go, Thanks for sharing

Comment

My daughter loves chicken fried dove/ww breasts...we hammer / tenderize / flatten them out before frying. We've tried all sorts of different batters & usually soak a while in whole milk. They are all good.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    How clever of you to think of using potato flakes! They are also good incorporated into fresh baked bread.

I’ve used a number of things to “bread” my fish and game. Currently, corn flakes are my favorite. Great crunch and they provide a nice bit of sweetness, too.

Do you smash up the corn flakes?

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                    SO you didn't dip in buttermilk or anything else..... just season, roll in potato flakes & fry ???.... Interesting, I'm gonna give it a go, Thanks for sharing
                    That's all I did.

Comment

Makes my mouth water. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I will have to try this.

Comment

Bump. I put a lot of doves in the freezer last season and have eaten this about once a month all year. Not tired of it yet.

Comment

It’s a dove gnocchi. Dip it in Alfredo sauce or a basil pesto with a light dusting of fine grated Parmesan. Maybe add some pancetta crumbles too. Texas/Italian fusion!

Brilliant!
                            Last edited by 100%TtId; 09-01-2022, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                              It’s a dove gnocchi. Dip it in Alfredo sauce or a basil pesto with a light dusting of fine grated Parmesan. Maybe add some pancetta crumbles too. Texas/Italian fusion!

Brilliant!
                              Oh yea. I'll be doing that

Comment

Working...
                              X