No announcement yet.

What Tracking Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So all you guys that have the Standard Wirehaired Dachshund's when are you going to breed them so we can have some puppies to drool over?

Comment

So does anyone have any leads for Jagd beeders with a good line?

Comment

I have a Jadg and when it’s time to hunt she is in hunt
        Mode. She is fine with our cats and other dogs. She is very active and we play with her every day for 40 minutes minimum. She will kill things but I can call her off any thing. Trained correctly they are great trackers, retrievers, and pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love our Blue Lacy Brandy. She has been a good pet and a decent tracker. Have not had too many problems with her she listens very well, travels well and is kennel trained. She has been a little mean to our other dog over the years, once she sent him rolling down the stairs. That's all dogs though, they are not like us lol. Last summer she hiked to the top of Haney Lookout / Black Elk peak in South Dakota. She is 14 now though, and I don't think she could do that that hike again. Just don't think I can commit to another dog after these two. Good luck whatever you decide!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kdog; 12-03-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            a good ol redbone hound makes a good couch tater, lap dawg, foot warmer and when they bay up you can hear them for 2 miles. If the wind is blowing right.
            😁😁😁

Comment

If going with a small dog, recommend to stay on-lead. Coyotes will be encountered.

I do suggest sticking with instinctive trackers, like beagle or dachshunds. Lots and lots of wire haired weiner dogs in the eastern U.S. compliments of Jeanneney, and many making legendary trackers.

I will say, that if getting into it just for yourself, friends, and family that you will have a marginal tracking dog at best. Reliable dogs are created from a great number of tough tracks. Both successful and unsuccessful. Friends and family dogs just don't get that "school of hard-knocks" experience to become reliable dogs. The rarity of friends and family actually needing a dog to find a deer, not gimmie tracks, will not provide enough experiences for the dog to advance. Think of it like my friend, Katie from Oklahoma said, - "That's like buying all the tire changing equipment and tools in case you or your friends have a flat tire, you could repair it. But instead, it's better to just call an experienced professional."

Comment

Bavarian Mountain Hound. I currently have a male, almost a year old. Good with the kids @40lbs. Has a great nose and always wants to be with you

Comment

I’m going to try and train my kids corgi pup. I don’t have high hopes lol

Comment

Lovin this blue lacy I got a month or so back from a brother on here. She’s great with the kids (I have 4) and I’ve been slowly working here in the woods and city just getting used to the different environments. At the end of the month I’m headed to OK for a blood tracking seminar they’re having. See what this pup can do.

Comment

You might want to take a hard look at the overlooked beagle. Great scent trailers, friendly, and small. Perfect dog if sleep isn't real high on your priorities.

Comment

My buddy had a wiener dog/pit bull mix. Aptly named Weiner Pit(he says after his first ex wife). He wasn’t a supreme tracking dog, but I was around three different times when he went and found someone’s deer.

Don’t think you could go wrong with a weeny dog when it comes to the mix of house pet and tracking dog.

Comment

Serious ?.

Would any of the K9's used by Law Enforcement as drug dogs or any of the other dogs used for some sort of smell, tracking and such work as a blood tracking dog?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Serious ?.

Would any of the K9's used by Law Enforcement as drug dogs or any of the other dogs used for some sort of smell, tracking and such work as a blood tracking dog?
                            I’d think they would.

I think you can get just about any dog with a little drive to be a mediocre tracking dog. Like others here said, it’s those difficult tracks that will separate the real tracking dogs from the once a year tracking dogs. All depends on what you need the doggo to do.

Comment

TLGDA Blood Trailing Seminar, Concan TX – February 16-18, 2024 Contact: 210-288-0553 3rd Annual Florida blood Tracking Seminar, Campbellton FL – March 1-3, 2024 Contact: 386-275-9268 Missouri Blood Trackers Symposium, Sullivan MO – March 22-24, 2024 Contact: 417-229-1571 Scenic River Dog Tracking Trials, Macomb MS – March 29-31, 2024 Contact: 225-333-9251 Minnesota Tracking Dogs, Rush ... Read more

Anyone here going to the Tracklahoma?

Comment

Sleepy, if you are wanting a JR for tracking, I have a male left, 7 weeks old, good looking pup. Momma is a hunting fool, daddy is lethal. Both parents are very loveable. PM me forpicks. If you didnt know by now, Jacks are my fav for tracking.

Comment

Working...
                                X