Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
cbrown
Pope & Young
 
cbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Waco
Hunt In: Will hunt 4 food
Default Tikka Build

I ordered a Carbon Six Tikka prefit barrel and looking for stock options.

The barrel is a Sendero profile carbon.

Let me see what y’all have done stock wise ln your Tikkas.

Also, did you stay with factory drop mag or go with something else?
cbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

KRG bravo or XLR element come to mind. I have two elements and had a bravo. Both are acceptable IMO. I like the simplicity of the elements.


Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 12:05 PM   #3
DuramaxDude
Ten Point
 
DuramaxDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Coke Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.
Default

Tikka action, Bartlien barrel, Bell and Carlson stock. Stayed with factory mag but replaced bottom metal with mountain tactical products.
Attached Images
  
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
JTCowpoke
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wichita Falls
Default

I have a mesa carbon stock on several tikkas. They are great.

https://mesaprecisionarms.com/produc...titude-stocks/
JTCowpoke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #5
splitbeam145
Ten Point
 
splitbeam145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: weatherford,tx
Default

I did an Iota Kremlin stock. Kept factory mag. Change trigger spring to set at 1lb. Check out Iota rifle stock web. They had a 40% Cyber sale on stocks going on. May be too late. I ordered an EkoX stock yesterday.
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 01:04 PM   #6
300rem7
Ten Point
 
300rem7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

KRG Whiskey
300rem7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Pintail45
Eight Point
 
Pintail45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
Tikka action, Bartlien barrel, Bell and Carlson stock. Stayed with factory mag but replaced bottom metal with mountain tactical products.
Nice build, how's she shoot?
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #8
PlanoDano
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plano
Hunt In: TX, ID, CO
Default

My current main hunting rig is a 7mm-08 in a bravo frame. I currently have a Sako S20 hunter that is quickly replacing this as my go to. Action is as good, trigger is a little better.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...1&d=1669833055

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...1&d=1669833055
Attached Images
  
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 01:33 PM   #9
PlanoDano
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plano
Hunt In: TX, ID, CO
Default

notice the cheek piece is removed, with that scope I get perfect sight with the cheek piece removed. I used an AICS magazine
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:12 PM   #10
Raider4044
Ten Point
 
Raider4044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lamesa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
notice the cheek piece is removed, with that scope I get perfect sight with the cheek piece removed. I used an AICS magazine

That looks terribly uncomfortable. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider4044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:20 PM   #11
Jamerendino
Four Point
 
Jamerendino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Before I google, could someone summarize the difficulty of doing the barrel swap and stock?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Jamerendino is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
PlanoDano
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plano
Hunt In: TX, ID, CO
Default

Not really, I guess I have a big head. I position the rifle prone with eyes closed. When I open my eyes the alignment is perfect and that is the most comfortable thing. Other option is to go to the Sportsmatch high rings. I use them on another Tikka because the scope will not clear the barrel with the low. I like to keep the scope pretty close to the barrel.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #13
PlanoDano
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plano
Hunt In: TX, ID, CO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerendino View Post
Before I google, could someone summarize the difficulty of doing the barrel swap and stock?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Take out the 2 screws, lift out barrel, adjust trigger if you want, put in bravo frame making sure you position recoil lug, put in 2 screws to torque spec. 15 minutes if you take your time.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #14
Jamerendino
Four Point
 
Jamerendino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
Take out the 2 screws, lift out barrel, adjust trigger if you want, put in bravo frame making sure you position recoil lug, put in 2 screws to torque spec. 15 minutes if you take your time.
Thanks, easy. What about removing the barrel ?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Jamerendino is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 04:16 PM   #15
DuramaxDude
Ten Point
 
DuramaxDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Coke Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail45 View Post
Nice build, how's she shoot?
Tack driver. 1/2 inch groups at 200. I have my longest kill with it yet on a doe at 800yds. Best group has been sub moa at 885yds with factory ammo. Chambered in 7mm mag with I believe a 23" barrel.

Built it for hunting. As it sits in the pics it has a leupold 3-15x44 VX5 HD. Total weight with the rifle, rail, mounts, and scope it is at 8lbs 15oz. So definitely not an ultralight model but not a bench gun either.

Last edited by DuramaxDude; 11-30-2022 at 04:34 PM.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 05:09 PM   #16
Lincoln Hawk
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Default

https://www.eurooptic.com/Manners-TC...stock---G.aspx

My Tikka sports this, though it's discontinued. It's heavy af, so not sure how much interest a carbon guy would have in it.
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 05:54 PM   #17
PlanoDano
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plano
Hunt In: TX, ID, CO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerendino View Post
Thanks, easy. What about removing the barrel ?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
If you are doing it one time I would buy the barrel and hire a gunsmith to put it on, otherwise you will need tools. Barrel Vise, Action Wrench, good torque wrench, "shh some cheater bar". Spent my adolescence setting up tool bars so I have a good feel for how to put heavy force without damaging equipment. I you also have this good, if not go to youtube and see how to make a relief cut. I have never done this. You will also need go-no-go for the specific cartridge. Like I said it is probably less expensive to hire gunsmith.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #18
Jamerendino
Four Point
 
Jamerendino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
If you are doing it one time I would buy the barrel and hire a gunsmith to put it on, otherwise you will need tools. Barrel Vise, Action Wrench, good torque wrench, "shh some cheater bar". Spent my adolescence setting up tool bars so I have a good feel for how to put heavy force without damaging equipment. I you also have this good, if not go to youtube and see how to make a relief cut. I have never done this. You will also need go-no-go for the specific cartridge. Like I said it is probably less expensive to hire gunsmith.
Gotcha. So its just like doing a high end action aka defiance, prefit barrel and prefit stock. I can do that. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Jamerendino is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 06:59 PM   #19
Raider4044
Ten Point
 
Raider4044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lamesa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerendino View Post
Gotcha. So its just like doing a high end action aka defiance, prefit barrel and prefit stock. I can do that. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Hardest part will be getting the factory barrel off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider4044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #20
Easttxbowman
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Just dropped mine into a grayboe Phoenix, very nice stock.

Built in level on grip, flush cups, m-lock rails on forend, and adjustable comb. It's not carbon but compares weight wise to other brands such as McMillan.

Next step is to replace current rings with NF ultralights, add arca plate and eventually a barrel.
Attached Images
 
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #21
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Just dropped mine into a grayboe Phoenix, very nice stock.

Built in level on grip, flush cups, m-lock rails on forend, and adjustable comb. It's not carbon but compares weight wise to other brands such as McMillan.

Next step is to replace current rings with NF ultralights, add arca plate and eventually a barrel.
I gotta get me a stock with an adjustable cheek riser. I love my Tikka but I had to tape a piece of a foam noodle on the top to get line of sight right.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2022, 09:35 PM   #22
Maxlab
Ten Point
 
Maxlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez
Default

McMillan here in my Tikka.
Attached Images
 
Maxlab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #23
corps2010
Ten Point
 
corps2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nacogdoches
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Manners stock on my camo 6.5 PRC... Bartlein barrel (# 5 contour/sendero profile)

McMillan on my marbled 7/08...Carbon Six Sendero Profile cut at 18"
Attached Images
    
corps2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #24
PlanoDano
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Plano
Hunt In: TX, ID, CO
Default

Maxlab and Corps: Those are some beautiful weapons.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #25
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Nice looking Tikkas! My T3 with factory stock looks like the poor cousin- but still a good shooter.

I drive past Montana Tactical/ Tikka Precision’s machine shop at 4 Corners in BozeAngeles every 2 weeks doing our shopping at Costco, Home Depot, Walmart. Let me know if I can help. The owner Jason is a really good man.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #26
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I gotta get me a stock with an adjustable cheek riser. I love my Tikka but I had to tape a piece of a foam noodle on the top to get line of sight right.


Montana Tactical was selling cheek risers on Black Friday sale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #27
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Montana Tactical was selling cheek risers on Black Friday sale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d rather just get an entire stock, but thanks anyway.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #28
lglidewell
Pope & Young
 
lglidewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Caldwell, TX
Hunt In: Burleson County
Default

KRG Whiskey X-Ray chassis
Tikka T3 (was a Compact 243)
Now a 6.5 CM with 21.5” Criterion Medium contour barrel


MDT LSS Gen2 chassis
Tikka T3 308 16” barrel



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by lglidewell; 12-02-2022 at 10:24 PM.
lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #29
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Keep ‘em coming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2022, 09:25 PM   #30
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Man I just cannot warm up to the chassis rifles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2022, 10:59 PM   #31
freerhunter16
Ten Point
 
freerhunter16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baytown, TX
Hunt In: Freer, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Man I just cannot warm up to the chassis rifles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m with you. I know people love them but just ain’t my cup of tea.
freerhunter16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #32
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Man I just cannot warm up to the chassis rifles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Come in Mikey!! ADJUSTABILITY!!! LOL


Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #33
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

I need to stay out of this thread. Commenting so I can find it later
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #34
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Maybe you have something against Finland?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2022, 08:43 AM   #35
Dbap
Four Point
 
Dbap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Briscoe
Default

Bell & Carlson Medalist and bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works made my 3rd Tikka a fantastic hunting rifle, and a consistent 1/2" shooter.
Attached Images
 
Dbap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #36
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Here’s my T3 with a Vortex Viper- just a 7 Rem Mag I use for hunting. Scotch tape over the end of the barrel to keep our snow and dirt. No points for pretty here!



Here’s a story. After I fluted the bolt, I wanted to fill the hole in the bolt handle. I found the elk bolster on a web site of knife supplies from obscure suppliers. It was a custom order, to be shipped from the ‘manufacturer’. I epoxied it in.



A few weeks later an envelope arrives by US mail, with postage I’ve never seen before and a return address hand written in a foreign language. It was shipped from Russia, a small town in Siberia. When I Googled the town, I learned there is a Soviet nuclear weapon research facility- that 20 years ago they never acknowledged publicly even existed.

To cut such an intricate design in a 2” long brass tube requires a piece of specialized equipment called EDM- Electro Discharge Machining. It’s big, complex and expensive.

What I concluded is there is is sone enterprising Russian guy who works at the research facility with access to an EDM machine. He gets orders for these bolsters thru the US web site, and builds them while on “company time” and ships the to the customer

I have the rest of the brass tube with elk left- and realize I’ll probably never do anything with it.

Anybody want it for their Tikka?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #37
Dbap
Four Point
 
Dbap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Briscoe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Here’s my T3 with a Vortex Viper- just a 7 Rem Mag I use for hunting. Scotch tape over the end of the barrel to keep our snow and dirt. No points for pretty here!



Here’s a story. After I fluted the bolt, I wanted to fill the hole in the bolt handle. I found the elk bolster on a web site of knife supplies from obscure suppliers. It was a custom order, to be shipped from the ‘manufacturer’. I epoxied it in.



A few weeks later an envelope arrives by US mail, with postage I’ve never seen before and a return address hand written in a foreign language. It was shipped from Russia, a small town in Siberia. When I Googled the town, I learned there is a Soviet nuclear weapon research facility- that 20 years ago they never acknowledged publicly even existed.

To cut such an intricate design in a 2” long brass tube requires a piece of specialized equipment called EDM- Electro Discharge Machining. It’s big, complex and expensive.

What I concluded is there is is sone enterprising Russian guy who works at the research facility with access to an EDM machine. He gets orders for these bolsters thru the US web site, and builds them while on “company time” and ships the to the customer

I have the rest of the brass tube with elk left- and realize I’ll probably never do anything with it.

Anybody want it for their Tikka?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EDM Machining: An electrode removes metal by applying a controlled electrical arc to the stock. There is wire EDM, and conventional EDM that utilizes a conductive fluid. Been around a long time, and is the only way to machine certain cuts, such as very deep cuts that leave a thin wall, where there would not be enough clearance for a conventional tool.

How do I get one of these?
Dbap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #38
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default Tikka Build

Here’s where I ordered it. If you want the elk if I can find it, I’ll mail what I didn’t use to you.

https://jendeindustries.com/8mm-custom-mosaic-pins.html

8mm Custom Mosaic Pins - Balatsky Mosaic Pins

He has elk and other pins. Here’s the boar pin. The hole in the bolt handle is 8mm dia. It’s a really tight fit- when I’d push it in with metal-metal epoxy the air pressure would pop it out. I wound up grinding a shallow groove with a Dremel to allow the air a path to escape.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bill; 12-09-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2022, 05:45 AM   #39
Dbap
Four Point
 
Dbap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Briscoe
Default

That is a really nice addition to a great hunting rifle. I have a Tikka T3, a CTR, and a Roughtek. The CTR has an oversized bolt knob but the T3 has the hole you mention. I measured it, 7.96mmØ with a length of 17.50. The T3, I have done a lot to it, B&C stock that took a lot of time to get the barrel channel right. I also ordered bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works, allowing me to torque the action tighter since I now have an aluminum bedding block. This rifle was a gift to myself with funds related to a 25 year work anniversary. One of these inserts would be great, if it fits.

What is the length?
Dbap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #40
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default Tikka Build

From the link I posted. He has multiple other designs. I measured an 8mm hole and it fit. It could require sone light sanding of the brass cylinder if your is slightly smaller.

The length of each pin is between 2.5" and 2.75”.

My son send me an elk ivory I thought would look great- but I didn’t know how to get it turned to 8mm diameter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bill; 12-12-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com