LBJ National Grasslands 2022-23 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found it. This is in the general orders for NF Grasslands of Texas

Caddo and Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grasslands General Prohibitions 08-13-08-12-15

261.58(v) Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear. Exceptions:
    1. When hunting turkey, migratory birds, fur-bearing animals or predatory animals at night.
    2. During archery season on Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland.

Still, on opening day and weekends I will wear orange until I get to my stand. During the week not so much.

Comment

Unwritten Rules b/w us hunters

Originally Posted by Cmareiii View Post
      I started Scouting/Hunting the LBJ Grasslands end of last season (2021-2022). Have scouted out the places I am hunting now and for the rest of the season. If I get one nice buck in a 10-year time period, I will be stoked. So needless to say I am not going to get competitive with other hunters, would rather share info (privately) to help others have success. It's the feeling that drove me as a kid to the creeks with my BB gun that I get scouting and if I can catch lightening in a bottle harvest a nice mature buck etc...

That being said are the unwritten rules for the LBJ amongst us hunters? I got to one of my spots this past Sunday am, a smaller unit, and a truck was there, so I moved on to a different spot sacrificing first light etc... Do others do the same?

If you find a stand that has been there since last year, can you hunt in it?

If you're in a popup blind, should you be concerned, an arrow might go through it?

Any concerns about theft or vandalism to your truck while you're hunting (like Red River Cooke USACE open hunting)

I have mule deer hunted on fed land for a long time, and only saw other hunters' handful of times, so not use to the LBJ do's and do nots etc...

Good luck to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cmareiii View Post
        Originally Posted by Cmareiii View Post
        I started Scouting/Hunting the LBJ Grasslands end of last season (2021-2022). Have scouted out the places I am hunting now and for the rest of the season. If I get one nice buck in a 10-year time period, I will be stoked. So needless to say I am not going to get competitive with other hunters, would rather share info (privately) to help others have success. It's the feeling that drove me as a kid to the creeks with my BB gun that I get scouting and if I can catch lightening in a bottle harvest a nice mature buck etc...

That being said are the unwritten rules for the LBJ amongst us hunters? I got to one of my spots this past Sunday am, a smaller unit, and a truck was there, so I moved on to a different spot sacrificing first light etc... Do others do the same?

If you find a stand that has been there since last year, can you hunt in it?

If you're in a popup blind, should you be concerned, an arrow might go through it?

Any concerns about theft or vandalism to your truck while you're hunting (like Red River Cooke USACE open hunting)

I have mule deer hunted on fed land for a long time, and only saw other hunters' handful of times, so not use to the LBJ do's and do nots etc...

Good luck to all!
        With the amount of public land in Texas, everyone should expect to share units with at least one other hunter. That being said, if it's a really small unit, I might move to another spot to increase my own odds and give that hunter space. If it's one of the larger units (maybe anything over a couple hundred acres?), I'd hunt it. I've been on a unit that had 12 other trucks parked and still got a draw on a doe. I also try and get out there really early to beat the crowd.

You're not allowed to leave stands for long periods of time (maybe not even overnight - I'd need to check on that). If you find one that's obviously been there for a while and it appears that it's been in use, report it. Your call on whether you want to hunt it or not. I personally, would not. I haven't found any in areas that I want to hunt anyways.

There aren't that many arrows flying around during archery-only, so I wouldn't worry about the pop-up blind. Maybe a different story during regular season. Unless it's VERY well concealed, I would rather go with a natural brush blind. Since you won't leave the pop-up long enough for deer to get used to it, I think it would probably do more harm than good. I've never used one out there before though.

I've never dealt with any theft or vandalism.

Just read the LBJ regulations, use common courtesy, and you'll be fine. Try and hunt on the weekdays if you can, and you'll avoid most of the crowds. I'd avoid opening weekend of regular season altogether. The crowds will thin as the season progresses. It's difficult, and most give up pretty quickly (just as things are getting good!)

Good luck out there!!

Comment

Thank you very much! Best of luck to you as well.

Comment

Man, this thread sure is quiet. Is anyone having any luck out there?? Got close a few times in the early season, but haven't been out there in a while.

Comment

I am having fun, still scouting more than hunting, yet seeing a lot of deer. Pleasantly surprised how diverse the land is out there i.e., one unit may be completely different from another (topo, Trees, elevation etc...)

Comment

Lost & Found

I found some valuable hunting gear last wknd. Contact me if you lost anything, and let me know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchwartz View Post
                  Man, this thread sure is quiet. Is anyone having any luck out there?? Got close a few times in the early season, but haven't been out there in a while.
                  I think the Facebook page gets most of the traffic now. I haven't been out since opening weekend. Been hunting Grapevine; put a descent buck down Sunday. I'm at Hagerman this weekend and if that doesn't go well, I'll spend the rest of the season at LBJ.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                    I think the Facebook page gets most of the traffic now. I haven't been out since opening weekend. Been hunting Grapevine; put a descent buck down Sunday. I'm at Hagerman this weekend and if that doesn't go well, I'll spend the rest of the season at LBJ.
                    Good luck at Hagerman! I've been meaning to get up to Big Mineral; I've never been before. Congrats on the buck as well

Comment

I found some valuable hunting gear last wknd. Contact me if you lost anything, and let me know what it is.

PM sent.

Comment

Is there a LBJ Grasslands 2023-24 thread?

Comment

Is there a LBJ Grasslands 2023-24 thread?
                          Start it, I haven’t seen one

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                            Can anyone give me pointers on where to go to get my son on a deer this year? Which unit should I take him to?
                            Unit 47 !
                            They’ll eat from your hand there.

Comment

Working...
                            X