Arrow weight for hunting 45lb recurve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    Here are the 200 grain screw-in broadheads sold by Three Rivers - plenty of choices:
    https://www.3riversarchery.com/searc...weight:200:200
    I am considering leaning towards Simmons broad heads, but I’m not hung up on them. They look like a solid head for a fair price.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      I am considering leaning towards Simmons broad heads, but I’m not hung up on them. They look like a solid head for a fair price.
      Which ones?

For me, the tiger sharks grab alot of air and exacerbate poor form or a tune that is mildly off. I bought them from a TBHer who I think sold them because they penetrated poorly, though and because they have a wide cut. Theyre a pain in the rear to sharpen.

Go for a 3 length to 1 width ratio or there abouts if you can for penetration. Consider two blade with bleeders or three blade for blood trails.

I think 500 spines might be easier to tune than 400. Going 500 from weak to stiff you might have room to cut. Versus 400 working stiff to weak you may have no room to cut.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-17-2022, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I have some Tiger sharks. They sharped well on a Rada sharpener. That said I had trouble with them bending.
        I killed a pig with my last one the other day. Couldn't find the arrow although the pig only ran 40 yards or so and ended up 25 yards from the feeder.
        Good riddance I say.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I have some Tiger sharks. They sharped well on a Rada sharpener. That said I had trouble with them bending.
          I killed a pig with my last one the other day. Couldn't find the arrow although the pig only ran 40 yards or so and ended up 25 yards from the feeder.
          Good riddance I say.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
          Well that might be enough for me to look at something different.

Comment

VPA makes great heads from 125-300 grains.

Rocky Mountain Specialty gear as well.

Simmons are fun. The Tree sharks especially. But they are prone to bending just a bit on hard impact. The deer and elk I've killed with them didn't complain any though.

You can get Iron Wills up to 250 grains as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              Does this set up sound good enough to get deep penetration on hogs?
              It's heavy enough that with average arrow speed and a sharp broadhead it will get good penetation on hogs.

Comment

As others have mentioned.... 9 - 11 grains per pound of draw weight is a good rule of thumb. Good arrow flight and a sharp broadhead is more important than speed.

Comment

Working...
                X