E-collar timing and selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-collar timing and selection

Alrighty... first, the tease (because who can resist puppy pics)

Remmie: 7 Weeks + 2 days

Now down to business...

We just brought home our new GSP Remmie today, and I am trying to get prepared on some of the later training stuff. We already have lots of stuff for the early training tasks like toys, clickers, whistles, collars, leashes, check cord, place board etc....

That said, CoVid (and an unexpected, necessary vehicle purchase) have us running really tight on the budget. I am not planning on this dog being an active bird dog, but a family/hiking/shed hunting companion instead. I do plan to have him in the field a lot, just not specifically in pursuit of birds. It isn’t uncommon for me to cover 300+ miles of public land scouting during the Deer hunting offseason, and I would like him to be with me for most of that next year.

I know the collar can be an invaluable tool when training certain tasks, but I am wondering if I can get by without it (including off-leash in the field). My biggest concern is with recall when he is distracted. Many of these pieces of property are 4,000-10,000 acres of contiguous land where I would never catch/find him if he decided to bolt. I know it is definitely doable without a cold, since dogs have been trained for hundreds, or even thousands, of years. But, I am wondering where the limitations are and what stage I REALLY need to consider picking one up.

After deciding all that, how do you decide between all the options out there. It seems like there is anything from fantastic collars with crazy reliability, all the way down to janky Chinese knockoffs. Which features are worth the money, and which brands are to be trusted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shameless tease #2

https://youtu.be/eKOu_k7v4qw" style="display:none;">
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    https://youtu.be/eKOu_k7v4qw')">https://youtu.be/eKOu_k7v4qw')"> I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
    https://youtu.be/eKOu_k7v4qw">https://youtu.be/eKOu_k7v4qw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Last edited by IkemanTX; 07-16-2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Pretty happy with the Garmin Alpha 100. Picked up a factory refurbished unit from outdoor dog supply a few years back. It's nice to know where they are when they're out getting after it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seatruckn View Post
        Pretty happy with the Garmin Alpha 100. Picked up a factory refurbished unit from outdoor dog supply a few years back. It's nice to know where they are when they're out getting after it.
        X2...

Had to start over with my hog dogs, but my last set, had them coming back once toned. Baying a hog, swimming a river, didn’t matter.

These new ones are getting there.

Comment

I have used an e collar to train my dog to return when toned. I also set boundries on my land , he will not cross property lines. He was corrected and toned as a puppy. Its like an invisible line now. I have no fence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The dog will tell you if he needs a collar or not. some dogs are so easy to train and others just hard headed!

Comment

Gsp are runners for sure, they like to wander. I have mine trained to come when i say come. But i constantly stay working with them. If i were to put them on some ground i didnt know and knew they were gona go off, i would absolutely have them on a garmin alpha tt. I have ine that will leap a 6ft fence at my house. Im half cocked to radio collar her just putting her out in the backyard. I got a invisible fence to go on top of the wooden fence to try to break her of it.

Comment

Originally posted by no bait View Post
                The dog will tell you if he needs a collar or not. some dogs are so easy to train and others just hard headed!

My boy is smart as a whip, easy to work with and train...but man he has a hard headed streak also...

Comment

Curious as well with my new pup. I have a Jack Russell Terrier I Plan on using for tracking. I already started him on trails and when he gets in the zone it’s hard to recall him

Comment

Working...
                  X