Need Some A/C Advice Before I Call the Repairman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some A/C help. My downstairs unit is blowing but the temperature will not drop below 76 even if I set the thermostat lower. I compared the output temperature of the upstairs unit (that is working fine) to the downstairs and the upstairs unit (working) is blowing significantly colder air. Any idea on where to start looking for the problem with the downstairs unit? My filter was definitely in need of a changing so I may have brought this on myself.

thanks

Check your outside unit to see if the lines are frozen, and check the inside coil for the same thing. If there frozen then turn it off and let it defrost. Dirty filters can impede air flow on the coils and allow them to freeze.

Comment

while you're at it, rinse of your outside condenser unit so airflow can get through like its supposed to. cut back any vegetation you have growing up around it, if any.

supply air coming out of your vents should be somewhere around 18-20 degrees colder than the inside temperature when it's running right.

Comment

I'm having the same issue. No freezing, clean filter and washed outside unit. Called the service company earlier

Comment

Originally posted by ww1984 View Post
          I'm having the same issue. No freezing, clean filter and washed outside unit. Called the service company earlier

It is most likely needing service
          May be low charge could be a lot of different things

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by airehead View Post
            It is most likely needing service
            May be low charge could be a lot of different things

Ron
            Agreed. A bunch of different problems can cause this type thing. From cheap... To very expensive.

Comment

Any HVAC TBHers in DFW?

Comment

Is fan on outside unit running? Is the big copper line from outside to inside getting cold?

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                  Agreed. A bunch of different problems can cause this type thing. From cheap... To very expensive.
                  A/C repair man came to take a look. said my coils were dirty on the unit in the attic. He has to un-weld it and remove it to clean. $450. Guess that's not too bad. Sound right to yall?

Comment

A/C repair man came to take a look. said my coils were dirty on the unit in the attic. He has to un-weld it and remove it to clean. $450. Guess that's not too bad. Sound right to yall?

Say what? Unweld it?

I'm not an A/C repair man but my A/C guy has never unwelded anything to clean my coils.

Comment

Good price and yes this is what we do if the coils are clogged. A brushing only gets what is on the edges. A coil is 3-4" thick and that does not include getting to the under side which can only be done by removing the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                        Good price and yes this is what we do if the coils are clogged. A brushing only gets what is on the edges. A coil is 3-4" thick and that does not include getting to the under side which can only be done by removing the coil.
                        Thanks for the peace of mind. HVAC is far from my wheelhouse.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Say what? Unweld it?

I'm not an A/C repair man but my A/C guy has never unwelded anything to clean my coils.
                            I think he means unsweat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Say what? Unweld it?

That's done when the coils are hard to access to thoroughly clean them good. It's pretty simple and could take a good tech less than 1.5 hrs to pull,clean and put back together. I've done it many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X