HB 1927 Passes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
    Does that mean you can now carry while hunting during bow season?
    I believe that all firearm restrictions during archery only season was removed six or seven years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
      so, are metal bars or wood blanks registered?
      Probably not. Why would they have to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
        Does that mean you can now carry while hunting during bow season?

You’ve been able to do that for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well said!

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
          Hate to break it to you but all those people listed are already carrying. Do you really think dopeheads give a flip about the law?! I see you have grandkids so you're obviously older, I really hope you're not that naive. Do you remember all the chicken littles when CHL were enacted, how about when open carry was approved or when they removed all the BS knife laws?
          This!

Comment

From The Texas Gunowners Organization.

HB 1927 FINAL VERSION: WHAT DOES IT SAY?

Published May 24, 2021

Who can carry:
            Assuming Gov. Abbott signs HB 1927, then, beginning September 1, those age 21+ who can legally possess a firearm will be able to carry a handgun – concealed, or openly in a holster – in non-prohibited public places.

Exception: those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors in the previous five years will not be able to carry handguns outside of their property or vehicle. These misdemeanors include assault causing bodily injury; deadly conduct; terroristic threat; and disorderly conduct with a firearm. (See Section 22 of the Conference Committee Report.)
            Note: We opposed this exception because it creates a class of people who cannot carry handguns even though they can legally possess firearms – and because several of these misdemeanors are defined so loosely that it is easy to be convicted even when not acting wrongly.
            See this handout for a listing of people prohibited by Federal and Texas law from possessing a firearm.
            Prohibited carry:
            Prohibited places include the following:
            Schools (including both K-12 and colleges; school activities; school buses)
            Polling places
            Courts or offices utilized by the court
            Racetracks
            Airports past security
            Bars (establishments that make 51% or more of their income from sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption)
            Sporting events (high school, college, or professional)
            Correctional facilities
            Civil commitment facilities
            Hospitals
            Nursing homes
            Mental hospitals
            Amusement parks (75+ acres, in large counties, and open at least 120 days a year)
            Governmental open meetings if notice is provided
            No “Savings Clause” included:
            Carry onto prohibited places can result in a Class A misdemeanor or 3rd-degree felony.
            The House version had an exception to the penalty (“Savings Clause”): it said that if you carried into one of the above prohibited places but left as soon as you were given personal notice, you could not be penalized.
            Unfortunately, the Senate insisted on stripping out the Savings Clause (we supported the Savings Clause).
            The final language does include a defense to prosecution if you carry into one of the above prohibited places when no signage was posted informing you that carry was prohibited.
            Other prohibited permitless handgun carry:
            Carry while intoxicated will be prohibited except on your property, in your vehicle, or on / in another’s property or vehicle with their consent.
            Campus carry is still prohibited for permitless carry (only those with an LTC carrying concealed can carry handguns on campuses, and even then, with significant restrictions).
            Handgun carry on Lower Colorado River Authority property is protected for LTC holders but not for permitless carry.
            Private businesses can prohibit unlicensed carry by providing notice under Penal Code Chapter 30.05. This notice can be a specifically worded sign, somewhat similar to a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, or it can be another sign or communication that simply gives notice that entry with a handgun is forbidden. The maximum penalty is identical to the penalty for carrying past a 30.06 or 30.07 sign: maximum class C misdemeanor and $200 fine if you leave as soon as you’re told to leave.
            Federal property: In general, Federal law prohibits carry on Federal property, and state law does not affect Federal property.
            Protected permitless handgun carry:
            Foster parents who can legally possess firearms will be able to carry handguns while transporting foster children in a vehicle.
            Increased penalties:
            HB 1927 increases penalties for illegal possession of firearms by the following classes of people. We did not oppose raising the penalty for those with a violent felony conviction or those who have committed a Class A misdemeanor of family violence.

Note: We opposed increasing penalties for mere passive possession of a firearm by all non-violent felons, because we believe this unjustly includes some who committed a completely nonviolent crime decades earlier.

Class of people Current penalty for possessing a firearm Penalty under HB 1927
            Those with a felony conviction (exception: allowed to possess firearms inside their homes beginning five years after final release from community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision) 3rd degree felony 2nd degree felony, minimum 5-year sentence
            Those with a Class A misdemeanor for family violence Class A misdemeanor 3rd-degree felony
            Those subject to one of the following orders, after notice and before expiration of the order: family violence protective order, magistration’s order for emergency protection, marriage dissolution suit protective order, family violence protective order from another state Class A misdemeanor 3rd-degree felony

Various Protections and Procedures:
            Expungement: The House version provided for expungement of records by those who had previously been convicted of unlawful carry of a handgun. The Senate modified the language but kept the expungement for anyone who is convicted of an offense committed before September 1, 2021 of unlawful carry of a handgun under Penal Code 46.02(a).

Dutton Amendment: The House version included the “Dutton amendment,” which stated explicitly that law enforcement could not detain someone simply because the individual was carrying a firearm. The final version does not include that. However, it does not specify that law enforcement can detain someone simply for carrying a firearm. Although we supported the Dutton amendment, we believe that removing it will not have a negative effect. Current case law and procedures require reasonable suspicion to detain an individual – something more than just carrying a firearm. The Dutton amendment would have simply codified this controlling case law.

Disarm by peace officer: HB 1927 re-states a provision allowing law enforcement to disarm an individual if necessary for safety during the lawful discharge of the officer’s duties. The same provision exists in current law for LTC holders. This is not a new provision.

Firearm Safety Class: DPS is instructed to create and put on its website a free course on firearms safety and handling.

Comment

It's not the freedom that scares me; it's the tacticool jack-wad that thinks they are a salty operator on 7 continents that will end up winging the bad guy, and taking out 3 non-combatants in the process! Thankfully, I think most people will be just fine. On a separate note, I really doubt that the bad guys are going to lose a microsecond of sleep worrying about who has a gun- they live in a world where everybody has a gun and they act accordingly. On a second separate note, how many more guns will be stolen out of vehicles, when folks decide they will obey the law and leave their gun in their car when they go into a "no gun" location?

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by cricman View Post
                It's not the freedom that scares me; it's the tacticool jack-wad that thinks they are a salty operator on 7 continents that will end up winging the bad guy, and taking out 3 non-combatants in the process! Thankfully, I think most people will be just fine. On a separate note, I really doubt that the bad guys are going to lose a microsecond of sleep worrying about who has a gun- they live in a world where everybody has a gun and they act accordingly. On a second separate note, how many more guns will be stolen out of vehicles, when folks decide they will obey the law and leave their gun in their car when they go into a "no gun" location?

cricman

“What if” a frog had wings?

Where do some of you come up with this nonsense? Really? Are you just that scared?

And nothing will change in regards to vehicle related burglaries and firearms being stolen. It happens somewhat regularly on here because people choose to act irresponsibly in securing their guns and irresponsible people will continue to do the same things.

Comment

Ok I will stir the pot. The only people happy about this bill passing are those that are too lazy to get their LTC.

Comment

I think it's already illegal to shoot people without a good good reason!

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                      I think it's already illegal to shoot people without a good good reason!

For whatever reason, it seems like all the resident liberals on here think that this bill overrides ever other law and that you can do whatever you want now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                        Ok I will stir the pot. The only people happy about this bill passing are those that are too lazy to get their LTC.

Went through the course, got all the stuff from there but wasn’t really instructed what to do after the fact. Whole process was kinda confusing without having another person who had previously done it there with me so I opted to not submit the paperwork and have something perceived as false information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Yee Haw, I'm about to start carrying my Peacemaker on my cartridge belt and walk through Walmart like the streets of Dodge City" - Said no one ever. It's the same BS that was being spouted when LTC and then open carry passed, yet we have no "blood in the streets" from LEGAL gun owners. Go get your LTC if you're so concerned about getting permission from the .gov to exercise your constitutional rights. I see this as one less tax, which is always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            The Texas LTC will be basically meaningless if you stay inside of Texas. The LTC will allow you to carry and certain other states where we have an agreement and to purchase a firearm from an FFL a few minutes faster.

Specifically to your question, there is no difference between open and concealed carry. The only requirement for open carry is it it must be in some kind of a holster. You cannot have in your hand walking around downtown or have a small gun hung around a necklace… unless there is a holster on the necklace.
                            Thank You, why would you want to open carry in a public place anyway? If something goes down the bad guy is going to shoot you first. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

Not true, I’ve had a CHL for 15+ years. I’m happy it passed.

The requirement to have a license to exercise a God given, affirmed by our constitution RIGHT is ridiculous. How many Americans would be on board if a License was required to exercise our right to free speech?

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                                Not true, I’ve had a CHL for 15+ years. I’m happy it passed.

The requirement to have a license to exercise a God given, affirmed by our constitution RIGHT is ridiculous. How many Americans would be on board if a License was required to exercise our right to free speech?

I was joking

Comment

Working...
                                X