Sick Dog: Must have 4% fat dog food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick Dog: Must have 4% fat dog food

Our old girl has pancreatitis. She was sick, lathargic, had a 104F temp. At 13-years old, I figured she was a gonner. But, the Vet said it was pancreatitis and is treating her.

To keep from having this again, Vet says she will need to be on a crazy low fat diet. He will prescribe dog food that is only 4% fat. I can only guess how expensive that will be.

Looking around on the web, I don't find anything lower than aobut 10% fat, and it too is a little higher than regular kibble from the store.

Anybody have a low fat dog foor brand that works for their dog post-pancreatitis?

A). Glad your pup is okay, and there is a path forward that is not painful.

Did you ask your vet what food is on the market? The vet will be your best source to be honest.

My experience, when I deviate from the vet's recommendation, problems ensue...

Good luck!

Comment

We had a miniature Dachshund that got pancreatitis when she was young. We fed her Science Diet low fat id dog food. She lived to be 15, just lost her last May. It is 7.7% fat.

Comment

Eagle Pack Reduced Fat i believe is 6% thats the lowest one I know of. $45 for a 30lb.

Comment

Hills makes a food for nearly every dog illness. My Lacy is in a liver diet.

Comment

Venison

Comment

I'd honestly stick with your vet. Their markup on food is what the manufacturer recommends and, as a practicing veterinarian and practice owner, I can tell you that it aint much. Most of us don't care to carry foods because its really not a revenue source for us but we do it for the patients. Yes, it isnt as cheap as your grocery store dog food. However, it's a prescription diet formulated for your dogs issues. As stated previously, it's best to stick with what they recommend. I know a lot of people think we're money hungry evil people, I can promise you though that aint the case. We don't make recommendations to drain your wallet, we make them with the best interest of your animal in mind, sometimes it unfortunately costs a little more. In a geriatric please be careful with what Dr. Google tells you, these guys can be fragile and once they've had pancreatitis they're more prone to have it again.

No trying to be a d!ck. Just offering perspective for what its worth.

Comment

Ask your vet about feeding your pup chicken breast and rice. My vet has recommended that to me on more than one occasion. My 13 yr old girl has been having liver issues for about 1.5 years now and we have to keep her on lower fat foods as well. We tried the Liver ID canned food but she didnt like it. She was on her death bed 1.5 years ago and I give our vet all the credit for extending her life. It has been a high quality 1.5 years as well. We are doing everything we can to have her for as many more days as possible but I wont let her suffer for any period of time. Good luck with your pup, hopefully she rebounds from this.

Comment

We had to put our dog on low fat to avoid gall stone buildup. In order to get where he wanted the pup to be, we had to do 4%. He suggested ground turkey and potatos. We cooked up turkey and peeled/boiled potatos for her for 6 weeks. She lost 9 lbs (15% of her body weight) and is a different dog. She's 11 and this addressed the buildup in the gall bladder. Now she's on just a senior diet.

Holy crap she loved the turkey and potatoes

Comment

We made our own food for the last year of our dogs life. Lots of turkey, chicken, venison, brown rice, oats for filler, and green beans, and carrots. a little chicken broth for flavor. Not too much.

Comment

I have no problem sticking with the Vet's recommended food. But, it is going to be a prescription to get it. I'm thinking that's going to be crazy expensive.

Her diet is currently pretty high fat. I'm thinking she could do pretty good at 6% or 7%. Still looking at it and will certainly talk to the Vet about it.

Comment

One of my pups had pancreatitis as well as she would not eat the vet prescribed food so we cooked her up venison trimmings, baked chicken on a drying rack, tons of duck, and fish (red/trout) along with some fiber and whatever vegies I could sneak in and she pulled through it and fought cancer as well on that diet. She passed away at 15 years old.

I just cooked her food up every three or four days.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyway12 View Post
                          I'd honestly stick with your vet. Their markup on food is what the manufacturer recommends and, as a practicing veterinarian and practice owner, I can tell you that it aint much. Most of us don't care to carry foods because its really not a revenue source for us but we do it for the patients. Yes, it isnt as cheap as your grocery store dog food. However, it's a prescription diet formulated for your dogs issues. As stated previously, it's best to stick with what they recommend. I know a lot of people think we're money hungry evil people, I can promise you though that aint the case. We don't make recommendations to drain your wallet, we make them with the best interest of your animal in mind, sometimes it unfortunately costs a little more. In a geriatric please be careful with what Dr. Google tells you, these guys can be fragile and once they've had pancreatitis they're more prone to have it again.

No trying to be a d!ck. Just offering perspective for what its worth.
                          Thanks for sharing. It’s appreciated.

Comment

Be best to add to the kibble, or just make you own. Add potatoes, green beans, and carrots. You can also get turkey and cook it.

Comment

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry Dog Food has 5%

Comment

Working...
                              X