Bastrop State Park Buck - Youth Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bastrop State Park Buck - Youth Hunt

My Friend’s son, Kyler, got drawn for the youth hunt at Bastrop State Park this weekend from Friday through Sunday. My friend had surgery two weeks ago and wasn’t going to be able to make it, so I volunteered to take him hunting. He was really excited about the hunt and I had taken my son on this draw hunt four years ago so I was familiar with the process.

We showed up for check in early on Friday and went through orientation and then met back up early in the afternoon to go to our predetermined compartments. They showed us ours and provided a map of the unit. We decided to go to an open field at the back of our unit and try to stay away from the other hunters in adjacent units. We set up a pop up blind and brushed it in with dead cedars as best we could as you can’t cut brush or limbs. We finished setting up and we could start hunting at 3:30.

I figured we had a good spot and would see deer but it was getting late and had not seen anything. About 5:55, I looked at an area to our right where I had fed and saw a deer. I picked up my binoculars quickly and could tell it was good buck and one worth shooting. With it getting dark, I thought he was a 9 pointer thinking he would go mid 120s maybe 130. I didn’t study him long and helped Kyler get his shooting bench turned to the right as he was set up to shoot straight in front of the blind.

We got him turned into position but he couldn’t find the deer. So i spent the next few minutes getting him on the buck. He was looking about 15 yards to the left of where he was but I finally got him on the buck. He took his time and shot a little bit after 6:00. Once he shot, it was tough to see which way he ran but he said he felt good on the shot. With it getting pretty dark, I immediately got out to see if I could find blood where the deer was at. The field had tall grass and I was hoping to at least check if he hit the deer. I didn’t find any blood and we backed out and called our hunt director and let him know we shot. He said he would meet us at our truck and go look for the deer.

By the time we met up with him, it had probably been 30 minutes after the shot. We went to the area and split up looking for blood and didn’t see a drop. I was thinking he had missed but he said again that he felt good about the shot. I had a spotlight and went straight away from where he shot still searching for blood and the director started following trails. About 50 yards away from where he shot him,I shined to left still in the field, and there he was laying but still alive. Kyler and the director were about 50 yards and I went and got them. We walked back up to the deer and you could tell he was about expire but we decided to shoot him again and Kyler put a finishing shot on the deer.

When I first shined on him when I found him,I knew that this deer was way bigger than I expected. He turned out to be a 12 pt with an inline kicker on his right and a kicker off his left G2. He had just about everything, good tine length, mass, and long main beams. To say Kyler was excited was an understatement as well as me and the director. We never imagined shooting a deer like this but this is why you hunt. Kyler’s dad has taught him well and he was prepared for the situation, although if he knew how big it was before he shot, probably would of had buck fever. I know I would of.

I scored him last night and was expecting him to be mid to high 140s. When I totaled everything up, we were shocked at the score. I taped him out at 156 2/8”. Here are a few of his measurements:

Inside spread: 15 6/8”
    Main beams were 23” and 23 3/8”.
    Abnormal points: 6 4/8”
    Mass: Had 5” bases and over 33” of mass
    6” plus brow tines & each g2 were 10” plus with his left at a little over 11”.

The biologist aged him at 6.5. I have to compliment the staff there. The hunt was very well run and organized.

We hunted Saturday all day trying to kill a few doe and maybe hogs and saw a few deer but never really had an opportunities. The same evening Kyler shot his buck a young girl killed a real nice, heavy 8. Probably mid 120s. I think they killed about 6 doe, 1 spike, and 3 bucks total.

Congratulations to Kyler for this probably once in a lifetime buck!
    Attached Files

dang good deer

Comment

Good on ya and awesome buck!

Comment

Great buck! Congrats to you guys.

Comment

Wow! Heck of a buck! Congrats

Comment

Good job guide! Congrats to Kyler! That is a stud.

Comment

Great Deer!!

Comment

Wow! Awesome. Congrats to you both. Well done Sir [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome! Doesn't surprise me one bit. Big deer in that area.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang good buck! Congratulations

Comment

Fantastic deer and good on you for taking him. That’s great!

Comment

Really nice deer. Congrats to the young man. That is definitely a unique deer.

Comment

Wow! Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Great Buck

Comment

Wow. That an awesome deer.

Good on you for filling in so the kiddo could still go on his hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X