BBD in Hunt County, 10yo on the trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBD in Hunt County, 10yo on the trigger

First off, my wife is getting over Covid right now so we've all been quarantined this week and will be until next weekend....so I get two paid weeks to hunt! She's been symptom free for 3 days now so looks like the worst is behind her.

We haven't had much to look at on the cameras so far this year at our family place, we've been pretty discouraged really. I have 2 other places I hunt alone so have given my boys the green light on anything mature out here, we usually see good bucks early but not this year.

Well a cam check on Wednesday revealed two shooters had shown up. A heavy 8 and a really nice 10.

The pics of the 10 were throwing me off so I posted him here to see some ages on him and was convinced he was good to go. Actually studied the pics a bit and recognized him as a nice 9 from last year that we were going after.

My boys alternate getting to shoot, Brock, my oldest, took a nice buck out here last year so it was Logans turn. He wanted to go yesterday morning and dad just couldn't get up so we slept in

Decided to go yesterday afternoon and ended up not seeing anything but I grabbed the card and sure enough that 8pt was there for 10mins that morning, Logan wasn't happy....

Well, we got up this morning, made it into the blind by about 615, and waited. We have the field pod set up out of 1 window towards the feeder and food plot, and sure enough at about 650, the 10 walks out to our right, at about 25y, with no shot.

We have this spot set up to crossbow hunt so the feeder is only about 25y, but the deer usually come out across the food plot at about 80y.

The buck starts walking toward the feeder and as soon as he gets to the edge of the plot he turns and starts walking straight away from us. Crap. It happened so quick I didn't get a great look but knew he was nice.

I had to talk Logan out of the Texas Heart Shot a few times as we watched him walk away to the far side of the plot.

As he nears the trees, Logan tells me to make a sound so I give the ol' "meh" and sure enough he stops and turns to his right.

He squeezed off the Savage 6.5 and I saw it hit, the buck bucked and ran. I teach the high shoulder shot and it looked like he hit a tad low but I knew it was still good.

We waited about 20mins and eased up to the shot location and with binos I could see his white belly about 30y into the trees, stone cold dead.

A VERY rough score has him around 145, which is about what I figured from the pics, but he is much more impressive in person. Kind of wish I called him for myself!

Turns out he was messing with the scope and had it zoomed all the way out, which is possibly why he hit low, but the too third of the heart was exploded so it turned out great.

Brock says now it's his turn. We'll be out somewhere tomorrow morning I'm sure...

Pics

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Pics

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Toad, congrats.

Rwc

Comment

heck yeah!

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

Wow...What an awesome deer. Congrats to Logan on a very fine animal.

Comment

Congrats on a great looking deer!

Comment

Congrats to the young man..

Comment

Great deer, congrats!!! It'll be years before he bests it!

Comment

good for him

congrats

Comment

Great Buck!

Comment

Congrats to the young man. That is a heck of a buck.

Comment

Congrats to your son, that is a beautiful buck! Love the dark horns.

Good luck to your wife with getting over the Covid!

Comment

Great job all the way around.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X