Shell Deer Park Refinery Sold to Pemex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
    Marathon claims better but before GBR their oldest plant was about 30-40yrs old now they inherited a dinosaur with GBR. They tried to do things you just really can't do (Crane wise) in a 80 year old plant, that already had tried and true only machine we can get in that hole methods since Amoco. Then get mad when their bright idea didn't work.
    I totally agree. It is a giant dinosaur that was not maintained very well. There is not one of us hourly at the original Marathon next door that are happy they bought it. We have a number of refineries that are older than 30-40 years old. Hell, we have people at our Marathon that have been here for that long

A 30-40 year-old refinery is considered new.

Here is one of our newer ones you speak of. It is not the only one from that time period owned by Marathon.

Marathon's Robinson Refinery was built in 1906 by the Lincoln Oil Company and purchased by Marathon (then the Ohio Oil Company) in 1924. Today, the state-of-the-art facility has a full conversion processing scheme designed to maximize production of gasoline and diesel fuel. The crude capacity is 245,000 bpd.

Refinery operations include crude fractionation, catalytic cracking, hydrocracking, distillate hydrotreating, coking, reforming, alkylation and sulfur recovery. Both sweet and sour crudes are used in the production of gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene, jet fuel, petroleum coke, propane, propylene, sulfur, slurry and butane. A project completed in 2005 enables the refinery to produce low sulfur gasoline. In 2006, Marathon completed projects that allow the refinery to produce 100% ULSD.

The refinery's commitment to safety has earned it the designation as an OSHA Voluntary Protection Program STAR site
    Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-26-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      I totally agree. It is a giant dinosaur that was not maintained very well. There is not one of us hourly at the original Marathon next door that are happy they bought it. We have a number of refineries that are older than 30-40 years old. Hell, we have people at our Marathon that have been here for that long

A 30-40 year-old refinery is considered new.

Here is one of our newer ones you speak of. It is not the only one from that time period owned by Marathon.

Marathon's Robinson Refinery was built in 1906 by the Lincoln Oil Company and purchased by Marathon (then the Ohio Oil Company) in 1924. Today, the state-of-the-art facility has a full conversion processing scheme designed to maximize production of gasoline and diesel fuel. The crude capacity is 245,000 bpd.

Refinery operations include crude fractionation, catalytic cracking, hydrocracking, distillate hydrotreating, coking, reforming, alkylation and sulfur recovery. Both sweet and sour crudes are used in the production of gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene, jet fuel, petroleum coke, propane, propylene, sulfur, slurry and butane. A project completed in 2005 enables the refinery to produce low sulfur gasoline. In 2006, Marathon completed projects that allow the refinery to produce 100% ULSD.

The refinery's commitment to safety has earned it the designation as an OSHA Voluntary Protection Program STAR site
      My understanding is that while y'all are as old as the old Amoco site the Marathon sites were updated on a regular basis, hence they're more like a 30-40 year old site.

No skin off my nose, I got out of the plant game and been happy as a pig in mud tracking and surveying. Y'all have fun in there!

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
        think this may have had anything to do with the sell? Shell maybe knew they would lose this case?

one thing is for sure, Pandora's box has now been opened!

Dutch court rules oil giant Shell must cut carbon emissions by 45% by 2030 in landmark case
        PUBLISHED WED, MAY 26 20219:44 AM EDTUPDATED 26 MIN AGO
        Chloe Taylor
        @CHLOETAYLOR141
        Share Article via Facebook
        Share Article via Twitter
        Share Article via LinkedIn
        Share Article via Email
        KEY POINTS
        A Dutch court on Wednesday ruled oil giant Royal Dutch Shell must reduce its carbon emissions by 45% by 2030 from 2019 levels.
        That’s a much higher reduction than the company’s current aim of lowering its emissions by 20% by 2030.
        Shares of Shell were trading 0.3% lower in London. The stock price is up almost 10% year-to-date, having tumbled nearly 40% in 2020.
        In this article

RDSA-GB
        +1.00 (+0.07%)
        A cyclist passes oil silos at the Royal Dutch Shell Pernis refinery in Rotterdam, Netherlands, on Tuesday, April 27, 2021.
        A cyclist passes oil silos at the Royal Dutch Shell Pernis refinery in Rotterdam, Netherlands, on Tuesday, April 27, 2021.
        Peter Boer | Bloomberg | Getty Images
        LONDON — A Dutch court on Wednesday ruled oil giant Royal Dutch Shell must reduce its carbon emissions by 45% by 2030 from 2019 levels.

That’s a much higher reduction than the company’s current aim of lowering its emissions by 20% by 2030.

The landmark ruling comes at a time when the world’s largest corporate emitters are under immense pressure to set short, medium and long-term emissions targets that are consistent with the Paris Agreement. The climate accord is widely recognized as critically important to avoid an irreversible climate crisis.

Shell’s current climate strategy states that the company is aiming to become a net-zero emissions business by 2050, with the company setting a target of cutting its CO2 emissions by 45% by 2035.

CNBC contacted Shell to request a comment on the ruling.

Shares of Shell were trading 0.3% lower in London. The stock price is up almost 10% year-to-date, having tumbled nearly 40% in 2020.

The lawsuit was filed in April 2019 by seven activist groups — including Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace — on behalf of 17,200 Dutch citizens. Court summons claimed Shell’s business model “is endangering human rights and lives” by posing a threat to the goals laid out in the Paris Agreement.

Under the Paris Agreement — a deal adopted in 2015 and signed by 195 countries — nations agreed to a framework to prevent global temperatures from rising by any more than 2 degrees Celsius, although the accord aims to prevent global temperature rises exceeding 1.5 degrees Celsius.

At Shell’s annual general meeting last week, shareholders voted overwhelmingly in favor of the company’s energy transition plans — but, crucially, a growing minority rejected the strategy, insisting the oil giant needed to do much more in the fight against climate change.

Activist investor Follow This said at the time that the result was likely to mean Shell would have to revise its climate targets once again.

According to Reuters, the case is the first in which activists have taken a major energy firm to court to compel it to overhaul its climate strategy.

When the lawsuit was filed, a lawyer acting on behalf of environmental groups said the case would “raise the pressure” on other fossil fuel companies.
        Royal Dutch Shell has been divesting their refineries footprint for a few years now. Though this court case could have influenced things i don’t have a clue.

Comment

Yep. It sucks when a company actually expects you to do a little work. How is Marathon's safety record compared to BP's?
          at the time of the sell BP tx city had stepped their safety records up. Kinda had to after being one of the worst in the industry for years. It was still one of the best ops jobs to have. They handed out money like candy and catered to the union/contract. Had it pretty good for a while.

Wasnt much that changed safety wise after the sell. We all knew we would more then likely loose the benefits of the 1.5" thick contract book that had been negotiated over the years with BP and Amoco. MPC wanted to take lots of things away to have all their sites close to the same with that 7 page BS MPC contract lol. Cant blame them one bit from the business side.

I had my new job lined up before strike was even announced. Best move i ever made in my short 18 yr career.

Just hope the folks at Shell Refinery have a smooth transition and none/min job cuts. Pemex will have to keep the safety standard in place and work to improve. Benefits... who knows

Comment

I can understand folks at GBR being upset with so much being taken away. But, you and I both know why BP was giving things away like an open bank account. I have a copy of that contract sitting on my desk right next to our contract. Yes, Marathon is a hardass and expects people to go above and beyond. They can run a refinery. But, their oil side is a joke. Just the opposite with BP.

When I told your membership at the hall while they were on strike that Marathon would have one person doing five jobs unlike BP having five people doing one job they scoffed. Well it has now been proven. Those of us at TRD were just accustomed to it. Marathon is not perfect by any means. But, during covid we never had any benefits, 401K, or bonuses cut. Not everyone can say that.

I do hope Pemex continues furnishing the Shell employees with great jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
              My understanding is that while y'all are as old as the old Amoco site the Marathon sites were updated on a regular basis, hence they're more like a 30-40 year old site.

No skin off my nose, I got out of the plant game and been happy as a pig in mud tracking and surveying. Y'all have fun in there!
              5 1/2 years and counting down

Comment

Yep. It sucks when a company actually expects you to do a little work. How is Marathon's safety record compared to BP's?
                Yes I’ve read the whole thread. You sure you’re hourly? Sound like a company man James!😂😂. Glad I retired!

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                  Yes I’ve read the whole thread. You sure you’re hourly? Sound like a company man James!😂😂. Glad I retired!
                  Just because you are union does not excuse you from following the contract. The contract we signed saying we would provide the labor. The ones that have that mindset are the ones that contribute to giving the union a bad name.

I have no problem calling them out if they refuse to carry their load.

Comment

I hear Shell also sold a refinery somewhere in Louisiana too.

Comment

Gonna be odd not seeing all the red suits around town

Comment

It's a sad deal all around. Hopefully all the contractors and support companies will recover. The next two years will be interesting for all involved

Comment

PEMEX representatives are supposed to be onsite later this week to talk to the employees.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                            I hear Shell also sold a refinery somewhere in Louisiana too.
                            Convent Refinery has been shut down for a while now.

They did recently sell their Antacortes Refinery in the PAC NW.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              Convent Refinery has been shut down for a while now.

They did recently sell their Antacortes Refinery in the PAC NW.
                              I believe they were down to 6 refineries total in the world before selling Deer Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfcoastin View Post
                                PEMEX representatives are supposed to be onsite later this week to talk to the employees.
                                They were onsite today at 10....not really any new news. Supposed find out about benefits in July. They did say that what ever vacation we had scheduled for the end of the year would be honored, they don't know how or by whom but it would be honored...

Comment

Working...
                                X