Hot Water - Tankless on demand vs traditional hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
    That has to be an electric, I have never got over about 8 years from a gas.
    Mine is going on 29 years old (I really shouldn’t have posted that, Murphy’s law and all)

Takagi brand from Japan.

Comment

Nice to have all the options whatever we get. I just put a timer on my tank heater so it's only on about 6 or 7 hrs. a day. Dont even want to try and retrofit for tankless. Got a gas one on other side of house..nice if we loose power.
      I did learn something yesterday tho. Friend had one of the ecosomething smaller electric ones in a small guest house. (has done well so far) Turned the water off and drained lines for the big freeze but didn't think to turn off the power. Air in the lines made it come on. Burnt the thermistor out on it. Company educated us on that and said the part is in the mail!
      For the money, and if it was all electric, could you just put multiple of the small ones in?
      Maintenance is key on all of em tho.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
        Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).
        My son has electric tankless in the attic with pex lines. Only issue is scale, bad enough to bust fixtures. He circulates scale remover through it twice a year. Looking at add a Flow Tech system to knock the scale out.

I have a gas tankless mounted outside next to the kitchen and master bath, works great and easy to maintain. Added an aluminum cover over the hoses and valves and a drop light to prevent winter freeze. The guest bath 40 feet away takes a little longer to get hot.

Comment

Hearing the tankless didn’t fare so well over the ice apocalypse. Anyone have theirs bust? Nearly tried one on a barn glad I haven’t pulled trigger yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in the traditional crowd. Spent a lot money trying to make tankless work.

Comment

When I was building the barndo in 2017, I researched both the gas and electric. At the time, electric tankless systems were having problems. I didn't want gas because of having the deal with the tank, fuel, etc.
              I ended up putting the short 40 gal electric conventional water heater in the corner of the loft where it didn't really consume space. In addition, it is directly over the master bath and only 12 feet or less from the guest bath, so there is no wait time and very little wasted water.
              That said, I have a gas tankless in my house. Other than the master shower being the farthest possible, and the time and wasted water it takes to get hot water there, I guess it works ok.
              Last edited by El Paisano; 03-08-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                Hearing the tankless didn’t fare so well over the ice apocalypse. Anyone have theirs bust? Nearly tried one on a barn glad I haven’t pulled trigger yet.

Mine busted, but my own fault - when the power went out completely forgot to drain it, as I drained the pool pumps. They have built in freeze protection, just doesn’t work very well when the power goes out for 3 days... love it compared to a traditional.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

Mine went out after the first round of power surges. It was 5 months old

Comment

My last two homes I built I put tankless in both and never had an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X