Bermuda vs St. Augustine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bermuda vs St. Augustine

We are in the process of building our house, looking at both types of grass. I know the St Augustine is probably a lot more maintenance. What have yall done and what were the reasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some things to consider are soil type and whether it’s shaded or sunny.

Comment

What he said ^^^

Comment

Bermuda, at least for my area in NE Houston, is so much more maintenance than St. Augustine. If i had the money just sitting there, I would scrape my entire yard and re-sod with St. Augustine in a heartbeat.

You have to mow Bermuda more often, the tip is the only part that is green and you aren't supposed to cut more then 1/3 of the total height of the grass in any one mow. So if you let it get out of hand then mow it down to normal height you end up with a brown yard. If you have a lot of clippings they will cause the yard to go brown so you basically have to bag it during growing season. Once you get it well established and thick its pretty durable but keeping it looking nice and green is a chore. I will say that when I am able to stay on top of watering, fertilizing, mowing and everything else it looks really good and for that brief moment i like it....but that feeling doesn't last long.

Comment

Grass sucks!!! Concrete is the way to go!!!

Comment

If you are in sun get Bermuda or should I say TIF/Tif 419 or variant of it. This is similar to what they put in professional stadiums. They take abuse easily, not as susceptible to disease, less water needed, and takes the sun. I will tell you having both that the TIF is somewhat susceptible to Thatching but easy remedy. My ranch around house is heavily treed so I have St Augustine Palisade version which does well. My Tif at my home in Austin looks amazing except in areas where there is constant shade

Comment

if you go the St. Augustine route go with the variety called floratam. In my option the best variety there is.

Comment

Hands down Bermuda unless you have some shade issues.

Comment

A lot depends on what part of the state you are in. Then soil type. Then your goal for a landscape. SE Texas St. Aug is by far the leader. When I worked for ChemLawn (now TruGreen) in the DFW area it was 100 to 1 Bermuda grass. When not choosing the correct species for your specific area it means more work...……….fungicides, cutting heights and frequency, fertilization mixes, etc.

Comment

Location is Burleson county, that’s around College Station area. By a map I found online it shows the climate to be good for both. No trees. The yard is in the smaller side so there is shade by the house and fences during parts of the day.

Comment

Tiff 419 was my favorite, golf coarse look after mowing.

We currently have zoysia, handles heat very well.

Comment

We are wrapping up our house as well at the moment. I have been researching and I'm leaning towards this bermuda mix from East Texas Seed Company. I am in very sandy soil though.

Comment

Ask your county extension agent what grass is best in your area.

Comment

Palisades Zoysia

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
                              Location is Burleson county, that’s around College Station area. By a map I found online it shows the climate to be good for both. No trees. The yard is in the smaller side so there is shade by the house and fences during parts of the day.

Grab the wife and drive into high end neighborhoods and see what you like best. It is a good outing for the family and getting something done.
                              Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                              Ask your county extension agent what grass is best in your area.

Yessir!!! Reach out to Masters Gardner club in College Station...….talk about serious experience. They even will help where they can.

Comment

Working...
                              X