Recommendations for a Starter Hunting Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys recommend for a starter rig that I could shoot pigs with? I have shot wheel bows for 30 years and played with a recurve years ago and would like to finally get into it some. I know you get what you pay for, but I'd sure like to get into something on the cheap because if it goes like my recurve shooting did 15 years ago there's a good chance I won't be using it for anything but backyard fun! I'm a 28" draw and I was thinking about something in the 40 pound range? I actually have an old 30# bear tigercat that I can use to get my strength up. Also any good economical arrow recommendations would be great as well! Thanks!

Black Hunter, Ember or Sage

Comment

What he said^^^^^^!

Can’t go wrong with any of those as a starter bow.

Best thing you can do for yourself is to not get to high of a draw weight (I wouldn’t start over 40#), and find an experienced trad guy in your area to help you lessen the learning curve!

Good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TXRebel View Post
        Black Hunter, Ember or Sage
        Looked at some Black Hunter long bow and recurve reviews today and it seems hard to beat for the money! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          What he said^^^^^^!

Can’t go wrong with any of those as a starter bow.

Best thing you can do for yourself is to not get to high of a draw weight (I wouldn’t start over 40#), and find an experienced trad guy in your area to help you lessen the learning curve!

Good luck!

Bisch

Yessir I was thinking 40 would be my absolute max. Question is will that be sufficient for hunting if I keep my shots at 10-15 yards? Do you know any trad guys on the west side of Houston? Thanks sir!

Comment

I’m hunting with 40# this year. Killed this pig with it a couple weeks ago:

It will definitely do the job if you can put the arrow in the correct place on the critter. It will work on any deer, and most pigs. I might be a little leery on a really big boar with a thick shield.

I know there are trad shooters in that area, but don’t know who is where. You can meet local folks at 3D shoots, but there may not be many shoots left for this year.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
              Yessir I was thinking 40 would be my absolute max. Question is will that be sufficient for hunting if I keep my shots at 10-15 yards? Do you know any trad guys on the west side of Houston? Thanks sir!
              Brazos County Archery Club has a regular group of trad shooters, if you are ever in the BCS area. We have two shoots left this year, I think. One this coming Sunday, and one the second Sunday in December. A couple of guys come from Hempstead, and one from the Tomball area. I don't think they are active on TBH, but if you are on FB, you could ask on the BCAC page and see if there is anyone close to you.

Comment

Seems that this club is pretty active.

Maybe consider looking around at Katy or local shops for local clubs. Many shooters dont hang around TBH.

Good skilling MrWill

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I've had many bows over the years, bought a black hunter longbow this year. Its without doubt the best shooting bow I've owned. 120 on Amazon. Made by sinoart.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Got my wife the bowtech starter, I think it’s called diamond edge. Great little package. Very adjustable draw length and pull weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LegenW84itDary View Post
                        Got my wife the bowtech starter, I think it’s called diamond edge. Great little package. Very adjustable draw length and pull weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No disrespect, but this thread is in the traditional forum and he was asking about trad bows.

Bisch

Comment

I’m hunting with 40# this year. Killed this pig with it a couple weeks ago:

Bisch

Can you tell me your arrow setup for this bow?

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                            Can you tell me your arrow setup for this bow?

The bow is a Primal Tech 3-pc longbow.

Current arrow is a .500 spine FMJ, 30 3/4” long (end of shaft to valley of nock), with a standard 16gr aluminum insert and 150gr point/broadhead. Also have a 7 1/2” Onestringer reflective wrap and 4 fletch with 2 1/2” parabolic feathers.

These arrows are flying well for me, and shoot well thru paper, but I still think they have to be stiff. I just bought some .600 spine axis carbon arrows to play with and see if I can get a better tune, but have yet to set them up/shoot them.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 10-02-2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

The bow is a Primal Tech 3-pc longbow.

Current arrow is a .500 spine FMJ, 30 3/4” long (end of shaft to valley of nock), with a standard 16gr aluminum insert and 150gr point/broadhead. Also have a 7 1/2” Onestringer reflective wrap and 4 fletch with 2 1/2” parabolic feathers.

These arrows are flying well for me, and shoot well thru paper, but I still think they have to be stiff. I just bought some .600 spine axis carbon arrows to play with and see if I can get a better tune, but have yet to set them up/shoot them.

Bisch

Great info for future reference. What is your DL if you don't mind me asking? I'm 28" and was wondering where I start with spine. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X