Melanistic deer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melanistic deer??

Just curious who all has shot one and what's the biggest buck you've seen?

We saw a nice 8 a couple years ago maybe low 120's. We didn't shoot it because we like seeing them. Never saw it again though.

Comment

Guadalupe County - near Seguin. Not mine, but the cow man on the place.

Comment

^ had one a little smaller than that at my feeder last year. Haven’t seen him yet this year.

Comment

Most of them I seen or heard about, people don't do any of the let it grow for a couple more years, before shooting it. If they see one, it gets shot quickly. Most I have seen where shot when they were 2 to 3 years old. Years ago, there was a melanistic buck that we used to see on my mother's place. I was hoping to see how big it would get, he did not make it through his second November, before one of the neighbors shot him. He actually had a lot bigger body than all of the other bucks of the same age. So I was hoping he was going to get pretty big, but that did not happen. I think he had about five points when he was shot.

Comment

South Travis county. Supposedly the Travis and Hays county area has one of the most viable populations known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lago Vista

Here is one up close
              Attached Files

Comment

Man, they're just gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post

South Travis county. Supposedly the Travis and Hays county area has one of the most viable populations known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Yes sir. Urban trophy's because all the high dollar homes have moved in there and the run free with no presser. Seen some impressive buck.

Comment

I typically have at least 1 doe a year and some years 2 for the past 20 years on my lease but have never seen a buck

Comment

Passed a 4 pointer on my hays county lease. Had a two does and a spike as well.

There was decent melanistic 8 point shot years ago and pics are prolly in tbh somewhere. Good luck in your search.

Comment

I bring this up because I had a buddy kill a buck east of I35 in Hays county that grossed 155. By far the biggest I've ever seen. If he gives me permission I'll put a photo up.

Comment

I saw one at bar j day hunts in kingsland

Comment

Working...
                          X