Pit Boss aftermarket controllers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, I know...... Should a bought an X,Y,Z brand pellet grille. But since I am stuck with this thing for now. Anyone had any luck with any of the aftermarket controllers with a meat probe that don't cost more than what I paid for the smoker? Sure, a PID controller would be great but for what they cost I might as well just set the whole grille on the curb and start from scratch. Rant over.

Seriously though if anyone can recommend a decent controller in $100 range it would be much appreciated.

Didn't pit boss come out with a new PID upgrade controller with wifi?

Comment

I bought a Savannah Stoker for mine and love it! Lots of nifty features.

Savannah Stoker, Traeger, Smoke Daddy, pellet grill controller

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
        I know, I know...... Should a bought an X,Y,Z brand pellet grille. But since I am stuck with this thing for now. Anyone had any luck with any of the aftermarket controllers with a meat probe that don't cost more than what I paid for the smoker? Sure, a PID controller would be great but for what they cost I might as well just set the whole grille on the curb and start from scratch. Rant over.

Seriously though if anyone can recommend a decent controller in $100 range it would be much appreciated.
        They have them on the PB website for $150.

Comment

To be honest there’s probably some user error. I clean the burn cup, for lack of a better term, every time I use it. But on long cooks it either backs up with pellets and ash or spikes up to too hot a temp. P settings don’t seem do much of anything. I still end up with an error reading and all hek breaks loose.

Comment

I just bought the 850 Pro this weekend and on my first cook with the PID controller I was very close to temp on my thermometers. Nothing like the 50° swings I hear about with the old controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
              To be honest there’s probably some user error. I clean the burn cup, for lack of a better term, every time I use it. But on long cooks it either backs up with pellets and ash or spikes up to too hot a temp. P settings don’t seem do much of anything. I still end up with an error reading and all hek breaks loose.
              Pretty sure it’s not user error, at least on certain models.

Example, I have a 1000 SC2, it’s been flawless, this is the Academy specific (I think) model. My brother bought their 820 model from the same shop 4 days after I bought mine. Slightly smaller, had the external seer adjuster and no window on the lid but looked nearly identical. Right down to the control panel.

It didn’t work right from day 1. Literally, it went out during the initial burn off. Went through the warranty crap, finally received a replacement control unit after around 3 months, grill did the same thing on the first burn.

He gave it away. Seriously, just told a friend to come grab it and he bought a different brand to replace it with. Hasn’t had an issue since.

Back to me, again, mine has basically been flawless. I’ll keep it around for sure but I’ll be buying another within the next 12 months. That way I can smoke and cook at the same time if for no other reason.

I do keep my Meater probes in whatever I’m cooking on this current grill though. It’s done good so far but you can definitely tell that it’s not very well made if you spend a little time with it, and o really don’t feel like ruining anything remotely decent because I trusted a grill that I know is questionable.

Comment

Working...
              X