Hunting/Fishing Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting/Fishing Literature

Who here is a fan or collector of hunting, fishing, outdoor literature? Which books or authors are your favorite?

Just curious if there are any others out there that share the same obsession. I’ve been collecting magazines and books for a number of years. I basically have a personal library of just hunting and fishing books. I prefer the ecology and habits/tactics type books and articles over just the stories but I definitely enjoy both. I’m a fan of the Peterson’s magazines, Duncan Gilchrist, tony Russ, jack oconnor, Robert Ruark, Ernest Hemingway, Aldo Leopold.

Books, no Magazines.
    I have everything Capstick & Ruark wrote, several Hemingway, Oconnor, most of Elmer Keiths stuff, 3 of ole Acks books, 1 of them signed, and 3 Townsend Whelens.
    Gonna have to check out Leopold, sounds interesting.

Comment

Following - I by no means collect but if I did they would be books - so will be grabbing recommendations - I really enjoyed plugger - more of the “the way things were” type stuff and stories opposed to the how to books. Hopefully some here have some plugger type books for waterfowling.

Is prince of poachers considered hunting literature? Lol

Comment

Jim Corbett is another great one not mentioned yet. I'm always trying to add to my small library. Some great books come up for sale on the Africa hunting forum at times.

Comment

I really enjoy outdoor books.

Capstick and Corbett are two of my favorites. I've read their books multiple times. The Jim Corbett Omnibus is one of my favorite books in my collection. Love reading those stories of the hunt for man-eaters.

For waterfowl, the Stories of the Old Duck Hunters trilogy by Gordon MacQuarrie is a favorite. Reminds me of hunting with some old men I know. Also enjoyed Big December Canvasbacks by Worth Mathewson, and Bury Me in My Waders by Don Webster.

For turkeys, Illumination in the Flatwoods by Joe Hutto and Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly are favorites. I turkey hunt a good bit and everything by Kelly is relatable and funny to me.

For deer, I recently finished a couple books on tracking deer in the big woods. How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life (Larry Benoit) and Big Bucks the Benoit Way by Bryce Towsley. I'd recommend the Towsley book over the other one. Not applicable hunting here in TX, but the tactic is super interesting to me. Nothing but respect for guys that hunt and kill deer like that.

Currently reading The Edge by David Long and Mike Duplan on hunting mountain mule deer.

I just ordered The Outlaw Gunner by Harry Walsh and Alaskan Yukon Trophies Won and Lost on Amazon. Those are next up on the list. I have about 35 books behind them in the queue

Comment

Nice so there is a few others that share sort of another hobby. Lots of good books mentioned, some I’ve read and some I haven’t. Some that I need to read.

Problem I find often with a lot of these books, they are very limited print and so they are pretty expensive almost to the point of being collectors items.

Comment

I buy old hunting,fishing and firearms books and magazines when I see them. I don’t look for specific books or authors bough.

My favorites are the magazines from the 70’s and 80’s. Reminds me of my youth

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                Who here is a fan or collector of hunting, fishing, outdoor literature? Which books or authors are your favorite?

Just curious if there are any others out there that share the same obsession. I’ve been collecting magazines and books for a number of years. I basically have a personal library of just hunting and fishing books. I prefer the ecology and habits/tactics type books and articles over just the stories but I definitely enjoy both. I’m a fan of the Peterson’s magazines, Duncan Gilchrist, tony Russ, jack oconnor, Robert Ruark, Ernest Hemingway, Aldo Leopold.
                Add Horned Death by John F. Burger , Karen Blixen And her husband Bror Fredrik "Blix" von Blixen-Finecke , teddy Roosevelt
                Jim Corbett -carpet sahib, man eaters of kuman
                Elmer Keith (hell I was there)
                Lieutenant-Colonel John Henry Patterson (Tsavo man eaters)
                W.D.M. "Karamojo" Bell
                Frederick Selous
                John Howard "Pondoro" Taylor (Big Game and Big Game Rifles (1948)[6]
                African Rifles and Cartridges (1948)[7]
                Pondoro: Last of the Ivory Hunters (1955)[8]
                Shadows of Shame (a novel) (1956)[9]
                Maneaters and Marauders (1959)[10] )

After Wild Sheep in the Altai and Mongolia
                Demidoff, E., Prince San Donato

Mountain Sheep and Man in the Northern Wilds Valerius Geist,

big Rack by John stein Texas white tail before HF and protein

Yes I am book collector, and the above doesn’t include fishing books and wildlife management both read & co wrote
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-08-2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X