Food Processing Weekend at Tres Hijas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Processing Weekend at Tres Hijas.

We’ve travelled the last few weekends and will be gone on long trips for at least the next couple, so we decided to spend the long holiday weekend at home. Hannah came home from Cstat with a load of food that she wants to freeze dry (see my Harvest Right Home Freeze Dryer post here if you haven’t followed - https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=842892) to take back with her! I also had her pick up a couple of briskets from Kroger since we don’t have one here, and we decided to grind those up, along with some pork butts and loins that I picked up on sale a few weeks ago.

She also wants to learn to make pickles and can them, cook fish, learn how to make risotto AND get her new Mathews Prima bow set up and tuned! We’re going to be busy!

I’ve posted a few things on other threads, but I figured we’d document our weekend here in a consolidated thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

That sounds like a great weekend!

Comment

We started out this morning by doing a taste test of freeze dried egg powder (that I rehydrated, of course) compared to farm fresh and store bought scrambled eggs.

Detailed results here - https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...4&postcount=88

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I also cooked and freeze dried some biscuits and gravy earlier this week to test out some homemade backpacking meals. We opened one of the pouches for another taste test.

I posted a detailed update in “The Elk Thread.”

***SPOILER ALERT*** - It was really good!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

The girls prepared cucumbers to brine and are currently at the store picking up additional supplies so they can make pickles (both bread and butter and dill) and can them.

In the meantime, we freeze dried some candy overnight (tootsie rolls, milk duds, skittles, “Covid Candy” and saltwater taffy.)

That was a quick batch overnight and now we have the Harvest Right trays filled with Kale and Spinach that Hannah wants to grind into powder for “greens” to add to her smoothies.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

While the girls are in town, I broke out my new Meat! grinder and made short work of almost 30# brisket (both burger and chili grind) and 8.5# pork loin.

I have a pork butt thawing that I’m going to grind later this weekend. I’m going to make more breakfast sausage. We’ll package up the ground brisket, pork, chili grind and sausage and send some home with the girls when they head back home.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I also have some home grown habaneros, serranos and onions fermenting (for about a month so far) with pineapple, garlic and a few other herbs and spices that I’m going to make into a hot sauce to take to my parents next weekend on our trip to Port Isabel.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

I cheated a little but I just mixed up 8.5# pan sausage using the entire pork loin and a bottle of Fiesta seasoning.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Pickles in the brine.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Fun. I love processing food. Good to see the family involved.

Comment

Dang. You should open a food stand on the side of the road. Looks great to me.

Comment

Can you put vodka in those pickles? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                            Can you put vodka in those pickles? Asking for a friend.

LOL! I’m sure they’ll be used in a Bloody Mary or two.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

In. Middleton’s do cool stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X