Broadhead poi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead poi

I recently decided to switch to a 125 grain point. After fooling around with broadhead tuning, the closest I can get my broadhead to my field point is 1.5-2 inches. Broadhead is consistently hitting directly left. Up and down is perfect and arrow flight looks great. As my shooting distance increases, impact stays the same. The arrow doesn’t keep wandering farther to the left as distance increases.
    I’ve went over my bow and don’t seem to have any cam lean, and everything is perfectly in spec. If I bump my rest anymore to the right, everything comes undone. Does anyone have to tweak their sight slightly when switching over to a large fixed blade such as a 125 grain muzzy 3 blade? My slick trick standards have no difference with field points

My setup is a hybrid cam bear with a qad ultra rest. 60lb 29 inch draw. Shooting gold tip hunter 340s just a smidge over 28 inches ctc. Standard gold tip nock and insert. 125 grain muzzy 3 blade.

Have you tried a bare shaft through paper?

Comment

Move your arrow rest very slightly to the right.
      Don't worry about moving your sight ... shoot to see if the gap closes.

Comment

I have tried moving the rest slightly right, but if I go any further to the right I will hit center with the broadhead but the field point will keep the same distance. It doesn’t seem as if I can make the two mate up. I haven’t tried bareshaft tuning. French tuning then broadhead tuning usually gets me where I need to be. The 125 muzzy is a rather large one to tune.

Comment

Is it one arrow with a broadhead or have you tried several? Try turning the nock a quarter turn then shoot . Repeat until you get back to the starting point.. it may improve. I bareshaft tune my bow at 20 yards after that I've never had a BH that wouldn't shoot with field tips.

Comment

I had the same trouble with Muzzy and quit using them. Slick Trick, Bloodrunners, RamCats, Mangus as well as Rage always hit consistently where my field points hit

Comment

I would venture to say it’s the broadheads. I’ve never had any luck with muzzy’s as far as accuracy, I cannot get them to fly true. Only thing I can suggest like someone already said, spin the nocks and see if that closes the gap.

Comment

When I shoot a fixed head I do the following;
                1 make sure you have good helical
                2 slow my arrows down with some weight, 260ish fps
                3 paper tune, then walk back tune to double check
                4 buy 9 broadheads,
                5 shoot them all once, and choose 3 for practice
                6 throw my field points in a drawer till season is over

Broadheads fly different than field points, it's nice when they impact the same, but they don't spin at the same rate, the weight distribution is different, and you have fins on the front now

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                  I bareshaft tune my bow at 20 yards after that I've never had a BH that wouldn't shoot with field tips.
                  This! Your bow is not tuned. I would put the bow in spec, center shot, cam timing, axel to axel etc etc. Then start tuning with a bare shaft. 10 yards is far enough. When you get your bare shaft flying straight you will be tuned. Next, shoot all of your arrows that you want to hunt with bare shaft. Nock tune the ones that don't want to fly straight. Once you get them all flying straight you can fletch them but make sure you don't turn the nock or mark them so that if they get moved you can turn em back. THEN put on a broadhead and see how it flys. After bare shaft tuning and nock tuning my arrows I've never had a broadhead not fly with my field tips just like the quoted poster.

Comment

if your broadhead is to the left. That is the same as a bare shaft being tip left nock right.

That tells me the power stroke (cam lean) needs to be adjusted if that allows for these types of adjustments.

reread post #9

Comment

Muzzy's are terribly difficult to tune. There is a reason they are not the popular BH they once were. Go to a QAD Exodus and you'll be pleased. IMHO of course...

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                        Muzzy's are terribly difficult to tune. There is a reason they are not the popular BH they once were. Go to a QAD Exodus and you'll be pleased. IMHO of course...
                        Agree, I had a hard time tuning muzzy’s years ago also. Switched to slick tricks back then and had no issues tuning them.

Comment

I’ve used slick tricks with good success, but I wanted to try a heavier head with a less steep blade angle. The muzzys have been very consistent, just unable to shoot the same hole as field tips. Arrow flight looks good and straight and arrow does not wander off any further as distance increases. I take the time to make sure my bow is timed and everything is in spec as it should be. I do it all myself. As far as cam lean, I can’t see any at rest or full draw on my draw board. 2 inches left at 20 and 2 inches left at 30. I don’t shoot over 30 hunting

Comment

Try the 125 Gr Ramcats. You won't be disappointed. They are known for and built specifically for field point accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                              Try the 125 Gr Ramcats. You won't be disappointed. They are known for and built specifically for field point accuracy.
                              It's not the type of head that gives u field point accuracy, its tuning ur bow and nock tuning your arrows that do that

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X