Best Small Knife Sharpener for Pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Best for pack or pocket. Use it weekly for regular and serrated blades.
    I'm a fan of this style to keep in a hunting pack. Small, versatile and "idiot proof" (that is directed to us both FND ) Quick and easy and if you need to touch up while you're cleaning, you don't have to stop to clean your blade. Whatever "funk" is on your blade, the coarse side of this sharpener will remove it with the first swipe then you can commence to sharpening. Just don't forget to clean it when you're done

Comment

I’m gonna be sharpener poor after all these great ideas. Lol

Comment

Comment

Jeff,
          Similar to Chew's recommendation, I got my campmates each one of these for their packs... I'm the resident knife sharpener in our camp, but this sharpener works very well, and has the round diamond blade for serrated knives. We all found them to work very well for a knife that already has an edge... For touch up, a few strokes on the finishing/ ceramic blades gets you back to cuttin' quick, fast n in a hurry...
          And FYI, two of the guys carry Gerbers, one serrated and one not...

For serrated blades use the round attachment and only on the ground side trying to match the angle of the grind, then drag it lightly over the finishing ceramic blades to knock off any burr and that finishes em out very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
            If you come across a high pressure sodium light bulb, break it open and use the ceramic tube inside. They won't work good for a rough edge, but if you just need to fine tune your blade, this is a good tool to have. They are small enough to carry anywhere, and will put a razor edge on your knife. I may have one laying around I'll ship you if you wanna give it a try!
            Interesting...I have some laying around i can break into ..I need to try this

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post
              RADA sharpener, hard to beat for the money and small enough for a pack
              Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                Buy a cheap mora serrated; gut and clean 10 -15 hogs then buy another zero knife sharpening. Or buy one and keep it in your pack when you forget to have a sharp knife in your hand
                I just got one of these, cant beat for the price and quality

Comment

Originally posted by capt glenn View Post
                  this one. I keep one in my pack and one in my boat. This is a great little sharpener. The plates with the diamond grit on them flip over so it won't scrape up against whatever else is in your pack.
                  ^^^^this one

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                    Best sharpener for your pack. Thank me later.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                    Just to add some about this little sharpener. It isn't easy to see from the pics but it gives you 5 steps to reset the bevel and polish the edge. It has built in angle guides which are pretty helpful. You set the angle of your blade's bevel on the coarse plate, then there is a fine plate on the other side that smooths it up a bunch. Then there is a ceramic rod with a coarse side and a fine side. And last there is a leather strop with compound on it. For serrated blades it has a little ceramic that will fit in the serrations.

I've messed with alot of sharpeners and this is the one I keep going back to. For most of my skinning, processing and fish cleaning I use commercial type knives that are not the hardest steel. I touch them up as I use them on a good steel. Every so often I reset my bevel, clean up any nicks I might have, etc on this little setup and then take it back up to shaving sharp and it takes no time. On harder steel it is for sure more time consuming. But for Victorinox, Dexter Russel, Mundial type blades it works like magic. I can take one from totally dull to shaving sharp in just a couple of minutes and with regular steeling stays there a good while.

It also has a built in broadhead wrench if you pull both the silver abrasive plates off of it. They are held on with magnets. Inside is a 3 and 4 blade broadhead wrench. It also has a groove running down the bigger ceramic rod for sharpening fish hooks.

This really is a great product. It isn't the cheapest but it's well worth the price.

Comment

Lots of great info y’all. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                        Best sharpener for your pack. Thank me later.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        Yup this. Amazingly fast to sharpen a knife at the correct angle.

Comment

Lots of info in this thread that mirrors a lot of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post

X2

Comment

Working...
                            X