Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasqy View Post

Will paint bucket and lines black !
    Still looking for an additive as well. Seeing different options on line for water treatments.
    Small amounts of copper sulfate will keep it algae free. Small, small amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post

I have close to the same system now, but algae is a problem clogging up the cups. Need a solution to control algae from forming. Maybe an additive or something. I’ve wondered about a small percentage of bleach or something similar.
      Is the algae coming from the bucket/PVC lines or growing in the cups themselves? I got some new cups, the lever mechanism is way up inside so no way for debris to clog it up, gonna see how long they go. I hesitate to paint anything black in this heat, the water is already hot enough. I just picked up a 20 gallon blue barrel from the barrel guy otw to the coast. I'm gonna replace the white 5 gallon bucket with it, thinking that'll retard algae growth pretty well. It's the same material and system I have our 330 gallon rainwater collection system rigged up with at fish camp. That's been in place for over a year and in full sun at the coast and it's only ever had a tiny dusting of algae inside at the most. The previous system I used bleach to kill off algae and it ruined my two barrels so I don't add anything at all anymore and that water's clean with no smell ever since. I'm bringing back my scrap tin and gutters, can't wait to rig up the rain collection system into this new bucket for the quail... having too much fun with this stuff and spending too much money lol.

Comment

Algae is growing in my 5gal bucket reservoir.
        going to make it dark so it can’t grow. It’s in the shade all day so no worries with heat. Read I can put a pc of copper tubing inside to attract any that might still try to grow. Def a learning process.

Comment

These birds will turn 8 weeks old on Friday and I'm already trying new pickled eggs recipes. Thanks Walker!

​​​
          Attached Files

Comment

Where did you buy that incubator from

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
              Where did you buy that incubator from
              https://incubatorwarehouse.com/colle...-egg-incubator. All you need is quail egg trays.

Comment

I keep coming back to this . Seems fun.

if anyone decides they are done with it and needs to sell old incubators and equip lmk

Comment

looks like a fun project..

Comment

Anybody getting eggs yet. My roosters are crowing up a storm but no eggs yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Anybody getting eggs yet. My roosters are crowing up a storm but no eggs yet.
                      I put a light on mine that comes on at 4am, 15 hens in there and get 11-12 eggs every day, sometimes 13. In another pen no lights, three hens and a rooster and been getting 2-3 eggs per day, they get a little residual light from the neighbors house though and they've had days they blanked or got 1 egg, only 1 egg today from those.

Comment

Working...
                      X