Back up power finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back up power finished

Well just finished installing my back up power. All in was around $1200. Not going through another rolling black outs again.

Details please!

Comment

I can't see the pics!

Comment

Looks good, that'll keep the basics running.

Comment

I just upgraded mine. Spent $13,240 and installed it myself. I got tired of only having a few circuits for an all-electric house. I see that you have eight circuits. What are your priorities?

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
            I just upgraded mine. Spent $13,240 and installed it myself. I got tired of only having a few circuits for an all-electric house. I see that you have eight circuits. What are your priorities?
            Have 10 circuits
            A/B--A/C unit
            C -- Garage GFI (garage door mostly)
            D -- Office
            E -- Garage Plug for fridge in garage (not sure why this is different then the GFI
            ones in the garage)
            F -- Fridge and kitchen counter GFI
            G -- Microwave
            H -- Furnace
            I -- Kitchen Lights
            J -- Master bedroom/ Bath
            We thought these were the best for us, everything else we can live without.

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
            Details please!
            Got the generator from Costco $699.00
            Reliance Generator Transfer Switch Kit from Northen Tool. $399.00
            50 foot 4 prong extension cord Amazon $100 (not the one in the picture)

I'm no electrician so YouTube was my friend. A few good video's on there. Was really easy.

Not my box, inside looks like this.
            Last edited by Bassdeer; 11-23-2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I can see them on my phone looks good

Comment

I luv infrastructure p0rn

Comment

That Firman is an awesome unit, I am curious how it does on Natural Gas, fuel consumption wise and output. Do you have a NG line?

Just curious, why not just feed power to the panel and then use the breakers to direct power? We did a lockout switch and a socket outside. All in was about the same price, with someone else installing.

There is no better feeling that knowing if the power goes out and its hot or cold, you can keep your family comfortable temp wise. And you didn't break the bank with a whole home genny. Not saying they are bad, but dang they cost some money.
                  Last edited by WItoTX; 11-23-2022, 08:57 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Do you have a NG line?

Just curious, why not just feed power to the panel and then use the breakers to direct power?
                    Yes outside NG line going to my grill, and I never thought of just feeding power to the panel. Can it be done that way without getting killed? guessing you would have to kill the power to the house before doing. Electricity scares me.

Comment

Manual lockout switch is a terrible idea. A human mistake or just simply forgetting to throw the switch could kill a lineman trying to restore power down the line. If they aren't illegal they dhould be.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Manual lockout switch is a terrible idea. A human mistake or just simply forgetting to throw the switch could kill a lineman trying to restore power down the line. If they aren't illegal they dhould be.
                        interlock kit prevents that

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          That’s exactly why it’s so important to follow a very basic rule of line work, if it ain’t grounded, it ain’t dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                            interlock kit prevents that
                            Exactly. The interlock is 100% fool proof.

Comment

If I had that switchgear, I might not have gone the route that I did. My problem was having two water heaters, two heat pumps, a water well, and then all the other electric appliances. Snowmaggedon convinced me to upgrade, and I decided to go with a whole house switch. My thought being that I could use the breaker panel to select circuits during different times of the day to keep the load on the generator within capacity. The switch cost $1040, then when it arrived, I realized that it did not come with a circuit breaker to protect the switch. That cost another $170. Somewhere along the way I ran across several used industrial generators that were priced substantially less than new comparable generators. I wanted diesel power. Propane meant having a big tank rented or purchased and I did not want that. Natural gas doesn't exist out here in the country. So, I ended up buying a 33KW Kohler, John Deere powered, single phase generator with only 412 hours on the clock, and installed it myself. It was quite the project. As you said, lots of Youtube videos and discussions on generator forum got me the knowledge to do the job. Now, when the power goes off, the generator turns on and I don't have to worry about overloading it. I've kept my back-up generator, and the back-up to the back-up just in case we get into a protracted power outage during a time of the year that the house doesn't require heat or a/c. I'll then drop the wires off the big generator and hook in one of the other generators and use the breaker panel as I originally planned.
                              Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 11-23-2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X