CPAP 101 I wish I did or knew ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPAP 101 I wish I did or knew ????

So I am officially an old fat man now. I get my cpap tomorrow.

I have read through the search fields for tips and tricks but I would start a new thread that was just CPAP I do this and it helps or do not do this.

I will have the Resmed 11

Like others copay. then 10.00 for for 9 months with 4hrs a night and this baby is mine.

I have ordered a tube holder as that seemed like a must have.

What else?

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
    So I am officially an old fat man now. I get my cpap tomorrow.

I have read through the search fields for tips and tricks but I would start a new thread that was just CPAP I do this and it helps or do not do this.

I will have the Resmed 11

Like others copay. then 10.00 for for 9 months with 4hrs a night and this baby is mine.

I have ordered a tube holder as that seemed like a must have.

What else?

Go in with the right attitude that doing this, with your current diagnosis, will save your life. Don't be easily irritated or be a drama queen when it wakes you up occasionally early. It is an adjustment and a change but you will be better rested. Just keep that positive attitude and let your body get used to it. A little bit of inconvenience in the beginning due to change is much better than possibly dying...... I don't sleep or nap without it..

Comment

Don't give up on it when you are beginning. When I first started, I would pull mine off in the middle of the night, as it bothered me. I would also try going to bed without, but my wife always made me put it on. After a couple of months, I finally got used to it. I refuse to sleep without it now, as I feel 100 times better in the morning after sleeping with one.

Comment

I must be extra and super sensitive, because the silicone mask rubs up against my precious skin. I had to put anti-chaffe on my face. I also had to start moisturizing my face because it made my skin so raw that it was flaking off.

I'm still trying to figure it all out myself, but that was the biggest requirement for me. The headrest tube holder thing is not necessary for me. Also, I talked them into letting me keep the nasal and the facemask. I plan on switching them out so that I can get the benefits of giving my face a break from the fighter pilot mask.

Edit...100% agree with the above. Just gotta power through it. It took me about 3 weeks before I slept through the night with it on. 5 hours with a mask is better than 9 without.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Go in with the right attitude that doing this, with your current diagnosis, will save your life. Don't be easily irritated or be a drama queen when it wakes you up occasionally early. It is an adjustment and a change but you will be better rested. Just keep that positive attitude and let your body get used to it. A little bit of inconvenience in the beginning due to change is much better than possibly dying...... I don't sleep or nap without it..
          This ^^^^^. (durn, I'm agreeing with Smart again). And make sure you get a comfortable mask. I like the nasal pillow the best. Been on CPAP since 1992.

Comment

[ATTACH]1123851[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              I like the nasal pillow the best.
              [ATTACH]1123851[/ATTACH]

Same here. Same nasal pillow as well since 2006. LMAO at agreeing with Smart again...

Comment

Same. Pillow mask for over 12 years now.

Once you get use to it you will never sleep without it.

Comment

Run the hose up and over the headboard.

Comment

Switched from the full mask to the nasal pillows a couple years ago and I'm glad I did. Thanks Smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Originally posted by bobc View Post
                      Don't give up on it when you are beginning. When I first started, I would pull mine off in the middle of the night, as it bothered me. I would also try going to bed without, but my wife always made me put it on. After a couple of months, I finally got used to it. I refuse to sleep without it now, as I feel 100 times better in the morning after sleeping with one.
                      This ! Over thirty years with it.

Comment

This is what I do or I run it over my pillow .

After you have used it for a bit you will get used to having it on. I would suggest buying several different types of headgear , masks or nasal pillows to find the one that suits you. The first few nights you will be tempted to say the H#$% with it, but as others said you will get the best sleep of your life and it is much better for you. CLEAN your eq often !! Hose , mask and water tank if you have one , I had an infection in my nose and a cough from not cleaning mine often enough when I first started using it. I went through several masks and finally settled on a full face mask that does not bother me at all . I have a beard and it seals just fine. Amazon does carry a lot of CPAP masks and headgear , CPAP.com is another resource. Good luck

Comment

This exactly.

Comment

You shouldn’t Have to purchase different masks, they should fit you with as many as it takes to get the closest one! I toss and turn a lot throughout the night so I just place the hose at the top edge of my pillow or just over my head. The hose is made to roll with you. I had my best nights sleep in 20 yrs on my first night with it. If you have sinus problems you will probably want to go with the mask . I have No problems with the mask . Be positive and go into it knowing that it is saving your life ( mind over matter) as stated many times above. I would try the hose without a hanger because when you travel that is just one more thing to pack , unpack then pack again- you’ll understand the first time you travel

Comment

Working...
                            X