Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone nixed protein and went cottonseed instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we feed protein heavy and added cottonseed around 7-8 years ago - we saw a pretty good jump in our body weights

Comment

I did but now cottonseed is **** near the same price as protein. What I do like about cottonseed is almost 0 waste. Doesn't matter if it rains and no coons eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
        Where do you buy your Fortified in large quantities?

Tractor supply actually. Have a couple that I buy from a lot and they will order it out for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On our place in Rocksprings, WT & Axis love it. They will empty a basket feeder in about 5 days. 30" diameter x 48" tall wire basket. In 7 days there won't be a trace of CS anywhere. We will put out 2 supersacks at a time (about 1 ton).

To us it just supplements the timed pellet feeders, & helps fatten them up. Solid work too shoveling that sheet outa bags. Not a fan. I'd just as well cut the bag and drive off, but my dad would have a aneurysm if we didn't fill the baskets. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

the change will cost the same or more. if you dont have water c lose to the protein, you wont see the change you are looking for in your herd

Comment

I feed both but go through the protein quickly at my place as opposed to the cottonseed. They will hit the cottonseed some in the dead heat of the summer when range conditions are exceptionally poor. That being said, if they hit the protein hard then that is what I will feed them.

Comment

All I know at my stand in Mexico I put 550# out last Thursday (9 days ago) and it’ll be empty in probably 2-3 more days. Hammering it
                Last edited by EastTexasMan; 01-21-2023, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Cottonseed lacks a TON of things other that protein vs. pellet. I’d quit cotton before pellets

Comment

Is this per ton. I just bought two 1000 lb totes for $240 each. If it’s per ton that’s cheap as heck. Please tell us where.[/QUOTE]

Where did you purchase? I'd like to get two totes this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Cottonseed lacks a TON of things other that protein vs. pellet. I’d quit cotton before pellets
                      The only thing cottonseed doesn't have that pellets do is minerals, Cotton seed is double the fat and fiber of most any protein pellet and more protein. You can add loose mineral yourself by just pouring some over the piles or add more mineral sites.
                      Now not saying its a no brainer now because of the cost but 5-10 yrs ago it def was. Cottonseed was half the price and varmints didn't eat it and easy to feed.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        The only thing cottonseed doesn't have that pellets do is minerals, Cotton seed is double the fat and fiber of most any protein pellet and more protein. You can add loose mineral yourself by just pouring some over the piles or add more mineral sites.
                        Now not saying its a no brainer now because of the cost but 5-10 yrs ago it def was. Cottonseed was half the price and varmints didn't eat it and easy to feed.
                        Correct. When I could get cotton seed for the price of a ham sandwich it was worth it…. Now that deer eat it, and the handling and labor with it it’s not useless, just not a value like it was. Calcium and minerals are just as important as protein and fat. If I was just feeding 1…. Pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Correct. When I could get cotton seed for the price of a ham sandwich it was worth it…. Now that deer eat it, and the handling and labor with it it’s not useless, just not a value like it was. Calcium and minerals are just as important as protein and fat. If I was just feeding 1…. Pellets.
                          Agreed, was just saying the calcium and minerals can easily be added, side by side cottonseed may be the best feed there is especially poor conditions like winter and drought summers. But now with cost being near equal it's almost too much of a pain unless you hunt near a gin.

Comment

We tried several years back and the issue was cotton seed was hard to get sometimes depending on time of year and crop. More people than ever are feeding it now. We feed both.

Comment

We are starting protein this year, mainly due to the high cost of cottonseed. I never thought I'd be supplementing cottonseed with protein pellets!

We fed cottonseed year around, mainly to keep the older deer in the area. I am hoping we can do the same with timed protein without allowing them to go 100% nocturnal on the cottonseed.

the last two truckloads I have bought were $490 a ton in super sacks. that's up from $230 a ton about 4-5 years ago.

I blame Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                                Got a price this week for $255 on bulk Cotton seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                That has to be for 1,000 totes. no way they can sell it for less than 1/2 of what everyone else is selling it for. It wasn't $255 3 years ago when I use to buy it. Back then it was 270-280 a ton.

Comment

Working...
                                X