Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperExotics View Post
    I would begin with a water quality test to see if the cause can be determined. Sounds like a high nutrient load, but thats just from the picture i have in my head.
    Thanks for the response. Is this something I can just put in a glass mason jar and take somewhere, or is there a kit for me to buy, like a swimming pool tester?

Comment

Originally posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
      Thanks for the response. Is this something I can just put in a glass mason jar and take somewhere, or is there a kit for me to buy, like a swimming pool tester?
      Sending you a PM.

Comment

Sending you a PM.
        Pics I told you about....(Dont know why they rotated)
        Attached Files

Comment

Following this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
            Pretty broad question here but we’re starting a roughly 1 acre dig in SE Oklahoma this week. My hands are pretty full with our barn buildout but I don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to get some structure and habitat in before we start taking on water. Is there a bare minimum/half a’d approach I can take given my limited time to commit to it? I drew out a rough idea of the area, need to look back on the depth we agreed on.

Your goal over time should be 20-30% habit (natural or artificial). Natural will breakdown over time, but is cheap and available in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
              Pics I told you about....(Dont know why they rotated)
              Sending you another pm.

In short, looks like cyanobacteria.

Comment

Id like to welcome "FreedomFish20" to TBH.

Dane is the Co-Founder and fisheries manager for Freedom Environmental Solutions. You will see he and myself both posting.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                  Watching this. I’m wanting to make crappie structures for a few of my spots. What are you fellas getting the best results from?
                  i recommend using cedar if it is present on the property...bundling 3-4 small cedars (1-3inch diameter) wrapping them tight with Romex cable with a cement block. it provides good cover stays in place and helps clean up cedar around property.

Comment

we have a little place in the panhandle (Wheeler TX) with a 10ish acre pond on it. Most of it is covered in cattails with little access to bank fishing. Our dream is to open it up, dig out a few deeper holes and get some bigger fish roaming the waters- any guesttimate on cost on just the digging out- clearing process?

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                      we have a little place in the panhandle (Wheeler TX) with a 10ish acre pond on it. Most of it is covered in cattails with little access to bank fishing. Our dream is to open it up, dig out a few deeper holes and get some bigger fish roaming the waters- any guesttimate on cost on just the digging out- clearing process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

I have a roughly 1 acre pond that developed both an algae and aquatic like plant-growth problem last year. A local pond company suggested I spray with Reward aquatic herbicide. I also installed both an aerator and surface water fountain and the water cleared up nice.
                        I turned off the fountain about a month ago prior to the cold temps here in north Texas. I noticed there is a moss like algae starting to form again in the shallow end of the pond. Do I need to start the fountain back up again and hit with another dose of Reward? I’m new at this pond stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                          Following

I have a roughly 1 acre pond that developed both an algae and aquatic like plant-growth problem last year. A local pond company suggested I spray with Reward aquatic herbicide. I also installed both an aerator and surface water fountain and the water cleared up nice.
                          I turned off the fountain about a month ago prior to the cold temps here in north Texas. I noticed there is a moss like algae starting to form again in the shallow end of the pond. Do I need to start the fountain back up again and hit with another dose of Reward? I’m new at this pond stuff.
                          any type of aeration is great for ponds and i highly recommend it but it wont fix the problem once it gets to the point in your picture. you'll need to do a treatment to get that algae knocked down so that the aeration will benefit the pond.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            We dont give estimates without seeing it in person, just to be fair to us and the client.

Comment

We dont give estimates without seeing it in person, just to be fair to us and the client.
                              not even a wild guess- it will likely be years before we can do anything anyway due to funds be used elsewhere. I just have no idea where to start or any idea....

Comment

not even a wild guess- it will likely be years before we can do anything anyway due to funds be used elsewhere. I just have no idea where to start or any idea....
                                Wild guess for draining, dredging, removing the trees.

50k plus

A local HOA here was requesting bids to dredge their ~10 acre pond. I saw bids from 35-65k. They went with a $55k bid.

Comment

Working...
                                X