Dried sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dried sausage

Looking for a venison dried sausage recipe.

Well, I guess I'm just gonna go ahead and tag this one now.

Comment

This is what east coast calls sopresatta. Sub venison for pork but add 30% fat. Hang in a curing chamber for 2weeks at 45-50degrees and humidity around 60%.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
        This is what east coast calls sopresatta. Sub venison for pork but add 30% fat. Hang in a curing chamber for 2weeks at 45-50degrees and humidity around 60%.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Kinda same recipe I just looked at

Ingredients
        3 pounds venison
        2 pounds fatty pork shoulder or pork belly
        51 grams (about 3 tablespoons) kosher salt
        15 grams (a scant 2 tablespoons) sugar or dextrose
        6 grams (about a teaspoon) Instacure No. 2
        1 teaspoon garlic powder
        1 teaspoon caraway seed
        1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
        2 tablespoons ground black pepper
        2 teaspoons ground allspice
        1/2 teaspoon celery seed
        5 grams (about 1 tablespoon) starter culture T-SPX
        2/3 cup distilled water
        Instructions
        Cut the fat and meat into chunks that will fit into your grinder. Trim as much sinew and silverskin as you can. Mix the salt and Instacure with the meat and fat and put it in the fridge overnight. If you have a grinder with a very large die, like 10 mm, grind it first and then set it in the fridge. If you only have the standard "coarse" die, which is normally 6 mm, just put the meat and fat as-is in the fridge Doing this helps develop myosin, which will give you a tighter bind when you stuff the links later.
        The next day, put the fat and your grinding equipment — blade, coarse and fine die, etc — in the freezer. Mix the spices into the meat. Put the meat mixture in the freezer, too. Let everything chill down until the meat hits about 28°F or so. It won’t freeze solid because of the salt. Normally this takes about 90 minutes. While you’re waiting, soak about 15 feet of hog casings in a bowl of warm water.
        When the meat and fat are cold, grind through the coarse die of the grinder, the 6 mm die. If the meat is 35°F or colder, go ahead and grind half of it one more time through the fine die, which is normally 4.5 mm. If it's too warm, freeze until it hits 35°F and then grind it.
        Regardless, once it has been ground, put the meat and fat back in the freezer while you clean up. Dissolve the starter culture in with the distilled water. Let this sit at least 15 minutes.
        When the meat mixture is back below 35°F, you can mix it. I put the mixture into a big plastic bin with the starter culture mixture and mix it by hand for about 2 minutes. If you do this, you’ll know the mixture’s cold enough if your hands ache from the chill. Or, you can put everything into a big stand mixer and mix on low for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. I prefer to mix by hand.
        Put the sausage in the fridge while you clean up. Run some clean water through your casings to flush them and to see if you have any leaks.
        Pack the sausage into your stuffer and get ready to make the salami. Leave 4 to 6 inches of casing hanging from the edge of the stuffer as a “tail;” you’ll use this to tie off the salami in a bit. Start working the meat into the casing, using your fingers to flush any air out of the casing and to regulate the flow. Do a whole coil before you make links.
        Tie off links of about 6 to 8 inches with kitchen twine. Now gently rotate the links to compress the meat within each casing, watching for air bubbles. Heat a needle or a sausage pricker in the flames of your stove to sterilize it, and ***** the links to let any trapped air out. Hang your sausages from “S” hooks or somesuch on a wooden rack. Let them hang at room temperature for an hour or two.
        Now you need to ferment the sausage. You will want to tent the hanging sausages with black plastic from some garbage bags, or some other plastic sheeting. If you have one, put a humidifier under the sausages. You really want them to stay moist. Let the sausages hang for at least 24 hours, and up to 48 hours. Every few hours, spritz them with a spray mister to keep them moist. This is the fermentation stage, the stage where the starter culture you are using defeats any bad bacteria in the sausage.
        When the sausages are ready, fire up the smoker. Put ice cubes in the water tray to keep the temperature as cool as possible. You are not cooking the links here, you are giving them a good smoking. Use oak, hickory, any fruit or nut wood. Avoid mesquite, as it is too distinctive. And no pine -- too much resin. Smoke the links for 2 to 3 hours, making sure the temperature stays cool. If the smoker got beyond 125°F, douse the links in an ice water bath to stop any cooking. Pat them dry.
        Now you need to hang them in your drying chamber. I use an old fridge with a temperature regulator and a humidifier in it. Hang the links at about 80 percent humidity for a week or two before eating. Store in the fridge, or vacuum sealed in the freezer.
        Notes
        Use narrow hog casings for this salami. Landjaeger is, in essence, a really, really good Slim Jim. A snack to be enjoyed outdoors, not sliced like a wider salami. Hog casings are available at any good supermarket (ask the butcher) or in a butcher's shop

Comment

Thats a good write up. May have to try it this year

Comment

We make a lot of dried sausage and jerky every year. Nothing cooked in a smoker or dehydrated. Just lightly smoked in the smokehouse and left hanging til dry like your Grandpa did. Any basic recipe(salt, pepper, garlic, sugar, heat and cure) will work. The process is what makes or breaks it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dang, that looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                We make a lot of dried sausage and jerky every year. Nothing cooked in a smoker or dehydrated. Just lightly smoked in the smokehouse and left hanging til dry like your Grandpa did. Any basic recipe(salt, pepper, garlic, sugar, heat and cure) will work. The process is what makes or breaks it.
                Still gonna need your recipe!? I’m very interested in being able to make this

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged, used to do my own 20 years ago, lost my recipe. Looking to get back into it.

Comment

Tagged! Man that looks good OBG !

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                        Still gonna need your recipe!? I’m very interested in being able to make this
                        Here is my basic recipe. As I said before any basic recipe will work but the key is in the process used.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is my basic recipe. As I said before any basic recipe will work but the key is in the process used.
                          What’s your process if you don’t mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                            What’s your process if you don’t mind?
                            If you are on Facebook I have a lot of videos on Texas Sausage Makers. Need to put them on youtube so I can post em here.

Comment

If you are on Facebook I have a lot of videos on Texas Sausage Makers. Need to put them on youtube so I can post em here.
                              I’ll look it up! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X