Time to start over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to start over

Where to begin? We don't live in Houston. We don't live in Rockport. We don't live in Corpus.

We live in a small community that, unless you live in Beaumont or have family there, you've probably never heard of it. We have about 565 households in our little incorporated township, 1300+ citizens.

We're a community that still lives with by-gone traditions. Our kids still ride their bikes and play outside until the street lights come on, we still know everyone else in the neighborhood, and we still wave at everyone walking or driving by.

We have an Easter Egg Hunt, a July 4th celebration with fireworks and a parade, a pet clinic available to everybody, Christmas In The Park, etc. Over the past year, we have raised nearly $30k dollars for a school district legal battle, and 95% of those funds have come from people in this neighborhood.

Got a tree down? A neighbor will gladly help. Lawnmower broke? A neighbor will gladly help. Tractor work? Car broke down? Home repairs? Yep, a neighbor will gladly help.

We have our own gas station, cajun restaurant, fire station (with the most amazing, selfless volunteers ever), Dollar General, crawfish restaurant, and we even had a feed store at one time.

Unfortunately, we also have a bayou. A mean, vengeful body of water that pulls no punches and has no mercy. She showed her strength in 1994 when she created at 37.5'. Nearly every home out here had water damage in some way. Experts said it was essentially a "Perfect Storm", a 1000 year flood due to circumstances that could never happen again. A travel trailer got caught in the flood and dammed the waterway, causing it to back up.

Fast forward to Harvey. 23 years later. Our little area got nearly 40" of rain. Once again, she pulled no punches. After 4 days, she has finally crested a little over 39.5'. Every. Single. Home is under water. Some had flood insurance, some did not. 95% of the homes are likely a total loss. It probably will be next Friday before we can even get in to see the destruction. We are all in contact with each other through group texts, Facebook groups, and GroupMe. The common theme is support. Love. Togetherness. We will rebuild. We will rebuild stronger and with determination. Because we are Texas Strong. We are Bevil Oaks Strong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A few more.

Comment

wow, prayers sent

Comment

Prayers for all

Comment

So sorry....prayers sent.

Comment

Heartbreaking.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I'm in Beaumont so I know how bad you guys got suckerpunched. Prayers for you and everyone affected around South and Southeast Texas. It will all be ok we've made it through 2 major Hurricanes and we will make it through this one.

Comment

Wow! Sorry for your loss!

Comment

Man, never could I have imagined the destruction this storm brought to so many people. I'm sorry to see this.

Comment

So sorry to see this. Prayers sent for yall

Comment

Prayers for you man and all in your neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No words - just prayers for you and your community.

Comment

Thanks for the words, guys. I just had time to sit and think, so I put some words down.
                          It's hard looking at the pictures, but I know it's all material things that can be replaced.

All my family is safe, and that's what matters.

Comment

I can't imagine the feeling in my gut going through that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's terrible but its clear from your narrative that you're a fighter and will win. Keep your options open. Love those around you.

Comment

Working...
                              X