Sierra MatchKing Variances vs Berger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sierra MatchKing Variances vs Berger

My son has a slow twist 5.56 that shoots 52 grain Sierra MatchKing sub-MOA and simply won’t shoot 55’s. So I load up the 52 SMKs for him. They’re loaded to 1.901” CBTO. I was loading some last night and was shocked when I switched to a new box of the 52s. I’m the ridiculously OCD type and check the measurement after every round I load. Without touching the die, the first round out of the new box of 52s measured ten thou shorter! I wondered Wtheck I did. So I loaded two more…same exact measurement…1.891”. The 52 is a flat base and obviously a short projectile so I was shocked when I saw that much variance. Needless to say I adjusted the die and carried on. I’ve posted before about the variances I’ve seen over the years using Hornady ELD Match also but haven’t noticed it in Sierra because I haven’t used them much. I have never seen this issue using Bergers….period. I guess that’s why Erik Cortina and many others say just buy yellow box projectiles and be done with it. I shoot nearly exclusively Bergers so I haven’t had that particular issue before. Have y’all ever noticed that much variance in SMKs?
    Last edited by PVDT; 03-22-2023, 07:24 AM.

Same lot number? Ten thou is a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have tried and shot quite a few different brands, but Berger’s just shoot the best. Now I’m not saying they necessarily kill the best but in every rifle I’ve tried them in I see the best groups compared to hornady, nosler, sierra, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post

Not the same lot. I bought them several months apart. Ten thou might as well be 10 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
          Not the same lot. I bought them several months apart. Ten thou might as well be 10 feet.
          It shouldn’t matter which lot number! I’ve had bergers from different lot numbers that measured the same and weighed the same. If there is that big of a difference in lot numbers then their QC must be horrible.

Comment

I had the same result with 6mm TMKs

Comment

Working...
            X