Not Bow Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Bow Related

I messed with AR's for many years but I've never taken the front sight post off so I can install a flip up sight. How would one go about doing this and I think the gas tube would need to be swapped out right? Just want to go with a more sleek look. Any and all advice/information is welcomed.

Anyone?

Comment

?

Comment

Pictures of sight will help. Some have set screws on the bottom of the sight base that holds it on the barrel. While others have two metal pins that tap into the sight base through a grove cut in the barrel.

Comment

Does this help
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BlessedVeteran0305; 02-11-2023, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Looks like a pin right below the barrel.

Comment

There is an inexpensive jig that is made just for this. It holds the part steady so you can drive the pins out. Many YouTube videos on it.

Comment

Some have taper pins so you have to make sure you drive it out from the correct side.

Comment

So is it just a pop and swap, or do I need to replace the gas tube? If that's the case I'm going to hold off for now.

Comment

Gas tube will be the same, but your foregrip is most likely held in place by the back end of that sight pillar.
                    So you usually free float the barrel when swapping out the gas block, meaning you will need a new handguard.

Quick easy free solution= hack that sucker flush, file and sand down rough edges and hit with some spray paint..... but now you have nowhere to mount a flip up sight.

go with a red dot or scope I guess....

BTW, I'm pretty sure those pins are directional.
                    They drive out one way, but not so much the other.

I performed this swap many moons ago on an AR-10.

The handguard will will come with a barrel nut.

You would need a new gas block, handguard and armors wrench to torque it down.
                    Last edited by DaveC; 02-11-2023, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Your new gas block will have a pin that goes through to hold the existing gas tube. It does need to be aligned correctly so your gas system cycles correctly. It’s not terribly difficult. Just take your time. A vise is needed though.

Comment

Thank you fellas I appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                        X