Fly control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly control

Flies are bad on cows this year. I cannot keep up with spraying, dusting, and pour on. Anyone else having any luck controlling flies?
    Anyone using a pass through mineral or rabon lick?

My flies come and go. Ive got a small herd and small farm. Ive been free ramging my chickens and they like to go scratch through the cow poop pretty good. Seems to help.

Comment

Thanks Briar. I do not have a flock of chickens to trail behind the herd. The hawks would make quick work of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
        Flies are bad on cows this year. I cannot keep up with spraying, dusting, and pour on. Anyone else having any luck controlling flies?
        Anyone using a pass through mineral or rabon lick?
        This fly block with 20% protein may be a good option if you have a West Feeds dealer in your area that carries them: https://westfeeds.com/product/cattle-horse-fly-block/

The block has a 26+ year history of being an easy and helpful way to control flies. If you have a dealer in your area that has them in stock and are interested, please let us know, and we would be more than happy to help you with the price to give them a try.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I cannot read the label, but will look at it online.

Comment

Where Or what is the price on block please

Comment

I tried the Rabon block from tractor supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/rabon%20block? Two cows each with a 1 month old calf went through the block in 8 days. Not cost effective. Cows had a good mineral block out before the rabon block so i know they were not mineral deficient.

I then bought a JustiFly 44lb Salt Block - https://championanimalhealth.us/coll...y-a-salt-block On the champion website click on Find a dealer and call a dealer. Dealers in my area had it for $30-34.00. Ive had the salt block out for about 3 weeks and the cows are licking it at the same rate they do a salt block so I should get 3 months out of it. As far a fly control, I'm not sure. Some days there are fewer flys and others days there are considerably more. Pass through fly control should be started in early spring before the fly population gets bad. I know I didn't get started early enough because flys were really bad when I started the pass through . I've had to spray a couple of times so far. Hopefully, the pass through will decrease the fly population. Time will tell.

If you feed loose minerals, JustiFly makes a 360gram pouch that you add to a 50lb bag of minerals. Tractor supply has the small pouches https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...4?cm_vc=-10005

Comment

What is best way to control flies in your camp area

Lease has cattle

Comment

Quickstrike..... Tractor Supply sells it. put it on carboard add a piece of fruit or what ever you like they will come to it like crack once they land on it they do not leave.. they will quiver and fall over dead right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                    Where Or what is the price on block please
                    They are $14.00 a block at our headquarters in West.

To purchase through a feed store that sells our products, it's best to call in advance to ensure that they'll have the blocks in stock and get their pricing.
                    Last edited by West Feeds; 05-25-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Doesn’t Golden Malrin work on flies.?

Comment

Crystal Lix with clarifly
                        It’s mineral tub with fly control.

Comment

no luck either

Comment

I've had good luck with the back rubbers treated with diesel and fly control concentrate of choice and change it up whenever flies get immune to it. Important to keep it treated on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                            X