Weld up vs bolt up buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weld up vs bolt up buildings

I am planning to build a 30x30 shop with a 24 ft awning off the front in the near future. I have been seeing quite a few of the pre fabricated bolt up buildings going up in my area. Does anybody have any experience with the bolt up? Good or bad?

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
      Following

Not much difference once completed. In my experience weld ups ho faster if you count the wait time for bolt up to be manufactured. Easier to make changes on thw fly with the weld up.

Comment

Not sure if you've seen this thread:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=weld

Comment

There isn't much difference at all. The only difference is how you want to install it and price. It was maybe $1000 or so more for a bolt together for us. We ended up doing a weld-up and had someone else erect it.

What I was told at the time is typically a weld up is cheaper to buy, but more expensive to erect. And the opposite for a bolt together.

Both should be exact same in sturdyness and quality.

Comment

There's a big difference if you want to attach things to the walls, or build out space inside. Bolt ups are gonna have big intrusive posts in the walls that stick out into the space a lot more, and they are usually angled so they're difficult to work around.

Comment

We went bolt up in our garage. Started weld up on our Barndo today. As mentioned we waited two and a half months to get our bolt up garage whereas our weld up will be here in three weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                There's a big difference if you want to attach things to the walls, or build out space inside. Bolt ups are gonna have big intrusive posts in the walls that stick out into the space a lot more, and they are usually angled so they're difficult to work around.
                This should factor in your decision…..don’t overlook it.

Comment

First off, your dimensions are wrong for a metal building, bolt up or weld up. You need to stick with 20' or 25' in your length with the 25' span being slightly cheaper. All metal building makers have a 30'x40' bolt up. Spans would be 20' with 3 rafter arches. A 30'x50' would have 25' spans and still have only 3 rafter arches. Labor to frame the 50' would be the same as the 40'.

No matter which way you go, the awning will have to be weld up most likely.

You could do the 30' span with 10" purlins if that 30' is a must have by using 10" purlins but they are very pricey.

No

Comment

Ive welded for 15 years, and though i dont do structual welding alot . Give me a line up bar and a impact any day of the week. I dont see how welded could be better our cheaper. But i dunno. Welding depends so much on the... well welder. Bolting., not so much
                    Last edited by j.trevor123; 01-11-2022, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
                      Ive welded for 15 years, and though i dont do structual welding alot . Give me a line up bar and a impact any day of the week. I dont see how welded could be better our cheaper. But i dunno. Welding depends so much on the... well welder. Bolting., not so much
                      There is alot of overhead to manufacture bolt up buildings. Have to pay for alot of engineers, tooling, warehouse, etc. Also my Mueller had several things that I had to cut and re weld.

If I had it to do over I would had my 75x50 welded up. Mainly for what Dale explained plus my experience is they are cheaper.

Comment

I have a 15 year old bolted metal building.
                        It was the first structure on my property and I erected myself.
                        A factor in my decision was that I did not have electrical power at the site and I do not have a generator-powered welder, so bolt together wins in that scenario.

Comment

What type of steel member will a pre fab place like Mueller use for the columns on a weld up? Will any places use pipe or do they all use W beams?

Comment

Feel like I'm having DE Ja Vu between this thread and the worm farm one. I swear both have been done.

Maybe I'm a time traveler and don't know it yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              This is a big factor.

Also, if you are ag exempt you can buy weld up parts tax free but you cannot buy a bolt up kit without paying the taxes

Comment

Working...
                              X