Old GMC carburetors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old GMC carburetors?

Found these two old carbs in a shed at my grandmas. All I know is what I see on them and that she had a 77 GMC pickup.

What should I do with these? What are they worth? Any of you recognize something more specific than what I know already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rochester Quadrajet 4-barrel.
    I'd put them back or in the trash unless someone needs a paper weight.
    There's a reason they were on the shelf.

Comment

Those are great trouble free carbs. Not sure what to price them at, but someone somewhere is probably wanting them.

Comment

Top one in first pic is a Buick, bottom is Chevrolet or GMC. Chevy looks to be 1976-1980ish, Buick prior to 76. Should be a number on the aluminum base that would give a little more info as to exact year.

I would say both are almost worthless unless you find someone looking for an exact original to completely rebuild.

My family owned a carburetor remanufacturing business many years ago.

Comment

Brings back memories of my quadrajet breaking off a meeting rod, jamming the carb wide open when I was NOT prepared for wide open.

Comment

Started my mechanic career on those. They were actually pretty good carbs, the main problems being the vacuum plunger that operated the metering rods sticking, and there were two plugs in the bottom of the bowl that were prone to leaking and causing flooding at idle. Once they were repaired, and the metering rod piston freed up, they were good.

Comment

Good Ol Quadrajunk! Doubt there is much value

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Good Ol Quadrajunk! Doubt there is much value
                Agree! I loved turning the air cleaner top over to hear that beautiful sound [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd like to beat Mr Rochester over the beak with one of those PsOS.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                    Top one in first pic is a Buick, bottom is Chevrolet or GMC. Chevy looks to be 1976-1980ish, Buick prior to 76. Should be a number on the aluminum base that would give a little more info as to exact year.

I would say both are almost worthless unless you find someone looking for an exact original to completely rebuild.

My family owned a carburetor remanufacturing business many years ago.
                    Well there you go Thanks.

Comment

I can hear them now.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                        Started my mechanic career on those. They were actually pretty good carbs, the main problems being the vacuum plunger that operated the metering rods sticking, and there were two plugs in the bottom of the bowl that were prone to leaking and causing flooding at idle. Once they were repaired, and the metering rod piston freed up, they were good.
                        All QJ's we hammered the lead flat on the plugs and then coated them with JB Weld. I think the plunger you're talking about is the accelerator pump. It goes bad there's a super bad hesitation when you accelerate.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                          Me too, the biggest problem with those were people over tightening the front two bolts and that warps the airhorn. When that happens, it has an internal vacuum leak resulting in a number of drivability problems. I learned early on to file and press them back to straight so they would seal.
                          I can still rebuild them with my eyes closed…..lol
                          The good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                            Me too, the biggest problem with those were people over tightening the front two bolts and that warps the airhorn. When that happens, it has an internal vacuum leak resulting in a number of drivability problems. I learned early on to file and press them back to straight so they would seal.
                            I can still rebuild them with my eyes closed…..lol
                            The good old days.
                            That, and stripping out the fuel inlet. We usually put the top on a bench sander to flatten it.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              I can hear them now.
                              They sounded pretty neat with the breather turned over. Brings back memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X