Trailer light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer light question

I have a new utility trailer I bought last summer. It came with LED lights. This morning while going to the lease I crossed a railroad track and immediately noticed my side marker lights and taillights went out. I’m pulled over when I could and checked connections and looked for anything obvious but didn’t see anything. Trailer turn signals work and brake lights work jus tree running lights are out. Any suggestions on what to check next?

My guess would be a ground wire

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a ground or the other lights wouldn't work. Check your trailer light fuse, that was what was wrong with mine, blown fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        Not a ground or the other lights wouldn't work. Check your trailer light fuse, that was what was wrong with mine, blown fuse.
        This is what happened to me also. Fuse on the truck was blown and still had brake and turn signals but no running lights.

Comment

Likely the trailer light fuse.

Comment

I’ll check the fuse. Hopefully it’s just that.

Comment

Could be a ground to the light itself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a tester and see if you are getting running light power to the truck plug

Comment

fuse #99 if it's a late model Ford F250 or F350. Had a direct short on a trailer I finally found, so got familiar with that fuse. IT IS A FORD mini-fuse (30amp), not just available anywhere.

Comment

Check grounds. Those side marker lights often have just a crappy thin metal tab that touches the metal. It doesn't take much to get corrosion between the trailer metal and that tab. I'd bet those marker lights weren't working before you hit the tracks, you just noticed it then.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      Check grounds. Those side marker lights often have just a crappy thin metal tab that touches the metal. It doesn't take much to get corrosion between the trailer metal and that tab. I'd bet those marker lights weren't working before you hit the tracks, you just noticed it then.
                      No sir they were working. I can see the side lights from my side mirrors.

Comment

is it a 4 wire plug? brake and stop light work off the yellow and green wires, Running lights and marker lights are powered by the brown wire. if it was a trailer ground issue all lights would not be working. If it was a grounding issue at each marker light, it is highly unlikely all would stop working at exactly the same time. do the tail lights on your truck work when you have running lights on? if not, it is probably a fuse, if they do you are going to need a meter to figure out what is going on. Do you know if your trailer is grounded thru the ball, or does the white wire on the trailer plug ground directly to the trailer frame?
                        Last edited by Rick; 12-31-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgOnIt View Post
                          fuse #99 if it's a late model Ford F250 or F350. Had a direct short on a trailer I finally found, so got familiar with that fuse. IT IS A FORD mini-fuse (30amp), not just available anywhere.
                          This, if this.

Comment

See if the vehicle tail lights work. If they do, it's not the vehicle fuse. It's not the trailer ground, or none of the lights, turn signal or otherwise would work. With the tail lights turned on, wiggle the connection at vehicle plug, see if they come on. Very good chance it's either that plug, or the trailer has a short that blew the vehicle tail light fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                              See if the vehicle tail lights work. If they do, it's not the vehicle fuse. It's not the trailer ground, or none of the lights, turn signal or otherwise would work. With the tail lights turned on, wiggle the connection at vehicle plug, see if they come on. Very good chance it's either that plug, or the trailer has a short that blew the vehicle tail light fuse.
                              Most modern vehicles have a separate fuse for trailers. Vehicle lights will all work.

Comment

Working...
                              X