Had ammo, found bullets. Swapped bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had ammo, found bullets. Swapped bullets

So had a bunch of Federal 556 ammo with the 55 grain FMJ bullets. Needed something for shooting hogs, and I found some 55 gr. Barnes copper TTSX on Midway. Swapped the bullets out with the same powder and they shoot right with the FMJs.
    The copper bullets are a little longer than the Full Metal Jacket bullets, so to get them to magazine length, I had to seat the bullets a little deeper end of the case. Doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet).jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	25255496

Name:	20210728_170108.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	25255497

Good deal.
    Those Barnes are bad bad medicine.

Comment

I would like to do this with 7.62x39 but I’m too dumb to figure out exactly what kind of equipment I would need

Comment

That’s a hell of an idea

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
          I would like to do this with 7.62x39 but I’m too dumb to figure out exactly what kind of equipment I would need
          A bullet puller, a seating die for your cartridge and a press.

Comment

If it works, it works !

Comment

That bullet really retains its mass. I’ve pulled several from deer carcasses that did an amazing job!

Comment

And then you can post up the FMJs on some reloading web site and sell them off quickly. You won't have to worry about those bullets blowing up on you, in larger calibers, it's hard to get them to expand at all.

Biggest pig I have ever killed, I used some of those out of my 30-30 Contender carbine. One shot to the head, that bullet zipped right through. Even going through the skull of that huge pig, I don't think the bullet expanded any at all. If you can get those well over 3000 fps, they should work a lot better than they worked for me. If not, they are going to be like FMJs. All the deer I shot with my 30-30, with 130 gr. versions of those bullets. They were leaving the barrel around 2450 fps, I got 30 caliber entrance and exit holes. Luckily for me they were all heart shots, or I probably would never have found them, there was close to no blood trail.

If you have a 20" or longer barrel AR, so it should spit those out the barrel, easily over 3000 fps. You should be doing pretty good. With my 16" barreled AR, the best I have gotten from a 52 gr. bullet has been lower to mid 2900 fps range. Turns out most of my loads from that 16" barreled gun were only leaving the barrel at 2400 fps to 2700 fps. Varmint bullets don't act like varmint bullets, when they leave the muzzle at 2400 fps. They act like sturdy big game bullets, they wind up penetrating very deep.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  Turns out most of my loads from that 16" barreled gun were only leaving the barrel at 2400 fps to 2700 fps. Varmint bullets don't act like varmint bullets, when they leave the muzzle at 2400 fps. They act like sturdy big game bullets, they wind up penetrating very deep.
                  I have a hand load that uses 73gr ELDMs, and it is an effective hog killer.
                  Maybe they are moving a little slower?
                  No chronograph.
                  Great blood trails!

Name:	20210331_192602.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	24657535

Comment

Working...
                  X