No announcement yet.

Recommend a Gun??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my vote goes to a tx22 taurus 22lr pistol. for pigs in a trap .. and you can carry it all day and not even notice it's there.

Comment

I got a 243 single shot that I paid about 200 used. I let all the newbies shot it.

Comment

22 mag would be my vote. He could reach out a little ways to hit a pig from his tractor if needed with that caliber.

He's not wanting to retrieve them with a DRT shot and if he hits one center mass it is going to just run off and die anyway, so mission accomplished.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Savage Axis or Ruger American in .223

Comment

Rifle of the Year, Mauser M18 has very good reviews as a bargain ranch utility rifle in 6.5 Creedmore, and many other calibers. I have not shot one. I would like to, but I already have a 35 year old beat up Smith & Wesson glass bedded 25-06, and I can only shoot one rifle at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
              i'll take it! since you just volunteered it for $300 !
              Hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                i'll take it! since you just volunteered it for $300 !
                “Could go up if necessary”. It’s necessary

Comment

Carbine, iron sights, and in a .30 cal.

Comment

I would go with a simple break open single shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i would suggest a lever action 44 magnum,,, more than enough slug to get the job done,,, not a long range round,, and light loaded mag or 44 specials would take care of a whole lot of business in a compact and useful round,,,

Comment

336 in 30-30

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          Savage Axis or Ruger American in .223
                          Yep, the Savage Axis in 6.5CM fit the purpose of what I was looking to spend on something cheap that would be carried in ranch trucks and tractors while out feeding lots of cattle and doing other ranch chores. Ammo costs more than the .223 but it’s no biggie. Can easily reach out and hit yotes & hogs. Good on deer as well. It’s been in all kinds of bad weather and dust. The kind of rifle you won’t get upset over when it gets scratched up. You still try to take care of it and avoid scratches but in that kind of environment it can’t be entirely avoided.

Comment

NEF 243 single shot with a good scope.

Comment

For $300, his choices are going to be very limited. Some of the cheap Wal-Mart bolt guns, in something like 7mm-08 or 308 would work. The NEF again in something like a 7mm-08 or 308 would get the job done.

If by some chance you can find a lever action in a 30-30, for $300 that would work great also. I think the NEF single shots you can get in 44 Mag and 30-30 also.

If I was just going to suggest a rifle for what he wants to do. I would suggest a AR 15 in 6.5 Grendel, maybe 6.8 SPC. He could leave the open sights on the gun, or put a red dot on it. I think a red dot would be the way to go, maybe with some flip up iron sights as back up. More than likely if he or someone else does not build the rifle, it's going to be up there a bit beyond $300 in either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. The cheapest ARs you will find with be 5.56. Not the best choice or pigs, but if you hit them in the right spot, it will drop them dead on the spot.

Military rifles, make the best utility rifles, general purpose bang around guns. But if you can find someone that will sell you a working Winchester or Marlin 30-30 lever gun, it would be a good choice also. Most likely you won't get a AR for $300 either. A cheap used 5.56 AR can be bought fairly cheaply.

Comment

Working...
                              X