Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a dealership ripoff

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    How much are your oil changes on that Cummins?

I buy a package deal for 4 oil changes and it runs right at $75 each with tax and stuff per oil change.

Rotella T4 and Mopar/Cummins filters.

Some things I will do myself but some things I’m just not interested in doing myself anymore; oil changes are one of them.

OP there’s a couple things on your list they got over on you like the cabin air filter cost. And unless you were noticing excessive tire wear or quirky driving issues, I would not have paid for an alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Mike D; 07-23-2021, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      When they where dropping the truck off @ dealership the service manager announced to the writers that a oil change is now “”$98.??
      No more $35 oil change “”

That cheap oil change is the “ loss leader “ to lure you into the bait I took on cabin filters, ect

And they now have a $125 fee for diagnostic, so if they say you “ need a service “ and turn it down you owe $125 if you turn everything beyond a TSB & Recall

So if they diagnose your vehicle and you elect not to do the repairs you feel that should be free?

Now if they are charging you the diagnostic fee on top of the repairs that doesn’t seem right.

Comment

I had a recall on the break system, free 0$

Rip off ?
        1 BG GDI fuel service $265
        2. BG A/C service $180
        3 4x4 wheel alignment $139.95
        4 key fob repair center/ computer can’t recognize key

Seems like a ripoff

y would u even need to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
          Can you enlighten us with your dealership?

Roger Williams CJD in Weatherford.

Comment

The GDI service is cheap, and worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              Just want to clear the air on a couple items. ...

1. $100+ diagnostic fees. Typically are waived if you approve the repair that is needed. The technician does more than just plug a computer in and bam they know the magic fix. They purchase all their own tools, go through countless hours of training monthly. You're paying for their knowledge. They strive for fixed right the first time. If it isn't fixed right the first time you usually don't pay if it comes back. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. No one works for free nor should they have to.

2. Wal Mart oil changes..... they use the same oil. Yes baby dead dinosaurs and synthetic dinosaurs from most places are about the same. Just about any dealership around has coupons online for oil changes. Look at job postings. Wal Mart, no experience required or training... I agree Oil/Filter changes are fairly simple. But, do I want the $8/hr no experience needed, using subpar filters on my $75K vehicle?? Not me... the dealership is using the manufacturer recommended filters and oil.

Now are there times when problems happen at the dealership? Sure. We have all experienced problems with a plumber, HVAC tech, electrician, dentist, doctor, teacher, women!!! Doesn't make everyone of those people a bad person, a rip off, a thief.

I find it crazy that when people purchase a vehicle they trust the sales person to be honest and develop a relationship with that sales person. Often times going back to that person over and over again. Why not develop a relationship with service department? Introduce yourself to the service advisor. Meet the techs. Find the 1-2 you like. And use them exclusively. I understand not one single person wakes up and says I hope my $75k suburban doesn't crank up today, or breaks down on my way to work. No one wants that. But it will at some point. I don't care what brand vehicle you buy. They ALL break at some point.

Back to build a relationship with a technician. It's just like having your go to HVAC guy/gal, plumber, electrician. You typically only need these folks when you are in a pinch. You're typically in not your best mood when calling these people. But, you invested time into them and feel safe they are not going to rip you off.

I've worked with a lot of technicians over the years. I am thankful I no longer work as a technician. But still directly related to service departments. I've worked with some of the most talented folks in the world. I've worked with bad ones. The bad ones get rooted out. It is a hard way to make a living. But, dishonest, liars, thief, those are not terms that describe the majority.

In closing. .... Go develop a relationship with a tech. After all they are the ones you need when your $800/month grocery getter breaks down. They are the ones you call and want it done for the cheapest amount possible. They are the ones who keep your $75K vehicle on the road. They are the ones who make sure your brakes work and keeps your family safe.

Next time you go into a service department, ask them to meet the tech who will be working on your car. Shake his/her hand. Thank them. When you pick your vehicle up, shake their hand again. I guarantee you, your vehicle will be at the front of the line and always taken care of. My last few years working as a tech, I had customers bringing me gifts for my daughter on her birthday, restaurants owners that would try to comp my meal (I always gave the money amount as a tip to the server if they did) customers who made sure to say thank you, chat for a minute. When I left my role as a tech I passed them onto the guys I trusted. I know I went on a bit of a rant. But, automotive techs are not bad people as a whole. Nothing irritates me more than reading on here how bad service departments are. Yes, they are in business to make money. But to take from you and your family. That is not something they are into. Trust the techs. Let them recommend and explain the importance of the services they are offering. You at the end of the day give the final yes or no to proceed.

Once upon a time at an oil change the plug on the pan was not tightened correctly and leaked oil out.

On another occasion the filter was not spun on all the way and it also leaked oil.

BOTH of those incidents happened at the dealer. One chevy and a ford.

Before the quick change place on main got so expensive I didnt have an issue in probably 10 years. I do my oil at home now, Im probably not saving any money but Im saving time and dont have to listen to some knucklehead up charger trying to sell me flux capacitor fluid

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Once upon a time at an oil change the plug on the pan was not tightened correctly and leaked oil out.

On another occasion the filter was not spun on all the way and it also leaked oil.

BOTH of those incidents happened at the dealer. One chevy and a ford.

Before the quick change place on main got so expensive I didnt have an issue in probably 10 years. I do my oil at home now, Im probably not saving any money but Im saving time and dont have to listen to some knucklehead up charger trying to sell me flux capacitor fluid
                Again, yes you can have bad experiences wherever you go. Including the dealership. Now that Flux capacitor fluid needs to be changed at 200k miles. No more. Mo less. Lol.

Comment

I have done service work for almost 30 years. You didn't have to come shake my hand or thank me to keep from getting ripped off. And the person that took the order didn't get a commission off of what work I did...

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                    how did you get it there???
                    In theft mode , what ever that is ? It take about 15- turns of the key to keep running

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      I have done service work for almost 30 years. You didn't have to come shake my hand or thank me to keep from getting ripped off. And the person that took the order didn't get a commission off of what work I did...
                      I agree with you totally.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                        I have hardly ever had a problem with a old seasoned veteran service writer, it’s the younger guys that typically push unnecessary service like $250 fuel injection cleaning & air freshener service $200
                        Maybe the service manager is to blame

Comment

I have hardly ever had a problem with a old seasoned veteran service writer, it’s the younger guys that typically push unnecessary service like $250 fuel injection cleaning & air freshener service $200
                          Maybe the service manager is to blame
                          Like I said earlier, if you have a GDI, you need that every 20k miles.

Comment

2014 Silverado

Original problem was theft deterrent would shut down truck
                            And computer problem with breaks recall

I approved the new key and 4x4 alignment
                            60,000 miles
                            Rest was weird and questionable
                            I was a service manager for some years. I always suggested my hunters have an alignment yearly. But back then is was a lot cheaper. The loss leader is something almost all dealerships practice. Those service writers are on commision and thats the way they make their extra money.
                            But it looks like you did a great job getting what was needed and what was not.

Comment

All of that extra stuff had nothing to do with the recall and is just their “recommended” services.

They always recommend to change the cabin air filter on my wife’s Expedition. Do it myself and save a bunch.

You just have to decline the crap you don’t want to pay for or want to do yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                                Like I said earlier, if you have a GDI, you need that every 20k miles.
                                Elaborate. You seem very adamant about it. I have a DI 2018 Silverado. 57k miles. I dump a bottle of Lucas in the tank every now and then. But you’re telling us $265 is cheap and to do so every 20k miles? Nobody, not even my dealer has said they. Genuinely curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X