No announcement yet.

Zero Turn - new or used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always lean towards commercial used. That being said depending on the amount of abuse it will be expected to handle, you may never see the benefits of a commercial unit. I’d still go commercial used lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man - thanks for the feedback but this thread has been like the two little voices in my head arguing with each other, which prompted me to post the question in the first place

I have a good friend who runs a shop that sells and services all sorts of heavy equipment, including zero turns. Unfortunately he isn’t close enough to buy through him but he said to go with the new and get the warranty. I’ve had good luck buying used vehicles and equipment but I can’t go against such an experienced opinion that I know and trust. Thanks again for the all of the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
        I do...

Some of you fellers pushing the new mower over the used have obviously not been on a better built mower.
        Some may not, but I have both. For commercial mowing and mowing day in and day out I would take the bigger one. But for home use few times a month, the new with warranty and peace of mind is what I would go for. My Husqvarna may not mow as well as fast. But for 5 times the price for my scag, I would go with the cheaper one all day lol... But the commercial mowers do mow awesome and make it quicker. Not arguing just making a case lol

OP if you are already contemplating and worried about them at that year mark messing up. Just go with the new one, your mind will be at ease lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
          Man - thanks for the feedback but this thread has been like the two little voices in my head arguing with each other, which prompted me to post the question in the first place

I have a good friend who runs a shop that sells and services all sorts of heavy equipment, including zero turns. Unfortunately he isn’t close enough to buy through him but he said to go with the new and get the warranty. I’ve had good luck buying used vehicles and equipment but I can’t go against such an experienced opinion that I know and trust. Thanks again for the all of the feedback.
          I went from a Hustler Raptor to a Scag Tiger Cat 2. The ride, the cut, the speed, and the build quality is a night and days difference between the 2. I have always bought new, but if my budget is where yours is, I would without a doubt buy the better built mower with low hours. Like any manufacturer, they know about when you may start having issues and base their warranty on that.
          My Hustler was out of warranty before I ever had any issues.
          I would bet if you buy the new mower in 6-7 years you will have spent more in repairs than you would have over the used mower.

I disagree with your friend on them both having the same issues at the same time. There is a reason one is 3k more when bought new. They aren’t using the same parts...
          Good luck in whatever you decide, but I would seriously do more research if I was you.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
            Some may not, but I have both. For commercial mowing and mowing day in and day out I would take the bigger one. But for home use few times a month, the new with warranty and peace of mind is what I would go for. My Husqvarna may not mow as well as fast. But for 5 times the price for my scag, I would go with the cheaper one all day lol... But the commercial mowers do mow awesome and make it quicker. Not arguing just making a case lol

OP if you are already contemplating and worried about them at that year mark messing up. Just go with the new one, your mind will be at ease lol....
            He’s not looking at mowers at “5 times the price”...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              He’s not looking at mowers at “5 times the price”...

I am talking about my scag being 5 times more than my other mower. I would take the cheaper one all day if minimal use. Made sense in my head... Just saying I would go newer with warranty. There isn’t going to be a huge difference in mowing between the 2 with minimal use unless you let it get 3’ every time.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                There isn’t going to be a huge difference in mowing between the 2 with minimal use unless you let it get 3’ every time.

I disagree. Used mower will be faster, have smoother hydraulics, and a suspension seat.

Comment

you're only mowing 1.5 acres, I would go with the new. I bought the exact mower (ZT HD) and they are built pretty close to the heavy commercial mowers (bearings instead of bushings, heavy duty frame and mower deck and suspension seat). I mow 2.5 acres with mine and have only put 26 hours on it since I bought it a little over a year ago (I mow once a week).

Comment

if the commercial was used privately I would probably offer less in cash and go used... If you want a warranty buy the new one... either one will suit your purpose for several years. My cousin sells Gravely in Temple and he stands behind em.

Comment

Working...
                    X