Thawing wild hog hams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thawing wild hog hams

I have some frozen wild hog hams and shoulders that I want to grind into hamburger. What do you recommend is the best way to thaw them. It will probably require a large cooler to get them all done. I was thinking using cold water with ice?

Also, it will be for everyday use so would you recommend putting some ground brisket in it or anything like that?

Just put em in the cooler without ice and let em thaw. After completely thawed you can add ice untill you are finished. As far as adding brisket a lot of folks do but I never use my pork for hamburger so I’m of no help on advice.

Comment

Just a cooler and let it ride. Can make pan sausage with it for breakfast as well

If you do the brisket route and make burgers would have to make them well done

Comment

Just curious. What are you going to make w the grind?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Just curious. What are you going to make w the grind?
          Everything you would make with regular ground beef.

Comment

just sit it out and let it thaw. Call your friendly HEB butcher and ask them to save you some fat trimmings to add some flavor and moisture. You won't need anything else unless you want to add hamburger.

Comment

I'm not a fan of freezing raw meat twice, especially wild pork.. I always grind and package the first time around.

Comment

It will grind best partially frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  It will grind best partially frozen.
                  this

Comment

Working...
                  X