Off Season Summer Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
    Got a new bow this year, so just being working on getting it dailed and trying new fletching combinations to see what flys best. Also got some new cell cams. Just need to find the time to slip away from the family and set those out where I think they will be in Oct.

Which Cell cams did you get? I have 4 spy points and don’t even use those pieces of junk anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
      Prepping for Aransas!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Haha that is NO JOKE! Oh man some times I want to go back to Aransas just to check it off my list and bring a deer out of there. Then I say to myself, “what the hell am I thinking!?”

Comment

I planted a bunch of trees in March. Now babysitting trees in this drought. This week I put down 2'x2' weed barriers around them. Hauling water for 70+ trees. Did a little management work in the mature woods. Opening up to let sunlight hit the ground. Deer are hammering a few mineral stumps. (See pics). Trying to clean/clear access routes to make getting to and from stands quieter.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

I work long days Monday thru Thursday. (12-14 hours with commute) Got an elk trip in October coming up. No time for much training those days, but I did manage to stack a series of four cinder blocks in a row in my back yard on level ground. Will do a few series of step up and step downs after dark with my pack on. Doesn’t take much time to feel some burn….isn’t much but it helps.

With gas prices sucking, no summer elk scout trip for me so it’s google earth viewing for me, but I’m familiar with the area already.

Comment

May is usually my reminder to kick my workouts up a notch.

The biggest one, ESPECIALLY after working in a bow shop is to check your bow and practice with it. And if you need to order strings, DO IT BEFORE THE FOURTH OF JULY. I can't stress that enough. From July 4th and on, most string manufacturers are gonna be at 6 weeks out on string orders. Its just the nature of the beast.

Scouting wise, I find that mineral blocks and cams can help some for finding target bucks. Corn helps too, but hauling a 40lb bag of corn seems to be inviting a heat stroke or hogs! Maybe I just suck at it, but the whole finding "buck beds" thing has been super hard for me to figure out in summer months, so I just try to find heavy sign in general and spiderweb out from there.

If gas wasn't so high, I'd be finding places to sit and glass corn fields on private coming out of public from a public road. Dan Infalt even talked about doing that the other day. But if we get at least a little rain, in a month or so deer will start hitting young ragweed fields and cockleburrs before it matures. Its a pretty small window but you can get a good idea of what kinda deer are there.

I had a mini-heatstroke a few years back that left me partially deaf in my right ear so I gotta remind myself to take it easy when the thermometer climbs. One thing I started doing with my scouting if I do go out in the heat is carry salt pills. My doctor told me that gatorade and most sports drinks in general just don't have enough sodium and electrolytes. He recommended pickle juice, but I hate it!
            Last edited by Kirby86; 06-18-2022, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
              Which Cell cams did you get? I have 4 spy points and don’t even use those pieces of junk anymore

I highly recommend Tactacam Reveals! I used Spypoints in the past and threw them out. I switched to Tactacam last year and had no issues whatsoever. They are easy to setup, function well and are cheaper than most cell cams! I think I have 5 now!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

The biggest one, ESPECIALLY after working in a bow shop is to check your bow and practice with it. And if you need to order strings, DO IT BEFORE THE FOURTH OF JULY. I can't stress that enough. From July 4th and on, most string manufacturers are gonna be at 6 weeks out on string orders. Its just the nature of the beast.

Scouting wise, I find that mineral blocks and cams can help some for finding target bucks. Corn helps too, but hauling a 40lb bag of corn seems to be inviting a heat stroke or hogs! Maybe I just suck at it, but the whole finding "buck beds" thing has been super hard for me to figure out in summer months, so I just try to find heavy sign in general and spiderweb out from there.

If gas wasn't so high, I'd be finding places to sit and glass corn fields on private coming out of public from a public road. Dan Infalt even talked about doing that the other day. But if we get at least a little rain, in a month or so deer will start hitting young ragweed fields and cockleburrs before it matures. Its a pretty small window but you can get a good idea of what kinda deer are there.

I had a mini-heatstroke a few years back that left me partially deaf in my right ear so I gotta remind myself to take it easy when the thermometer climbs. One thing I started doing with my scouting if I do go out in the heat is carry salt pills. My doctor told me that gatorade and most sports drinks in general just don't have enough sodium and electrolytes. He recommended pickle juice, but I hate it!

I like the idea of salt pills for sure! I've had two instances in the past few years I legitimately thought I was going to die while I was out scouting in the summer. I had water and food but it wasn't enough. Scared the heck out of me!

Comment

What, if anything, do you try to do during the summer months in preparations for the upcoming fall?

Do you make special trips?
                  Look for new ground?
                  Try out new things to experiment or tinker with?
                  Stick to your routine? If so , what?
                  What works for you?
                  Camera ideas?

Or just say, “It’s too **** hot. I only want to fish!”[emoji28]

Most of me falls between too **** and hot and going fishing, but I still catch myself wanting to do something in prep for the fall.

I always dread going out in the summer because it can be dangerously hot, but I'm a big believer in 'you get out what you put in'. So, I always end up getting out and putting up cameras. Plus I do a lot of online map scouting!

My plan this year is to put out cameras mid-July over year-round-scrapes, mock scrapes and water sources, just to see what's out there. Bucks will have pretty well-developed antlers by that time. I'll choose my camera locations based on past experiences, spots that typically have deer year over year and new spots I haven't tried yet. For the spots that give me good intel, I'll start picking out trees to hang in and track multiple entry/exit routes on OnX for different winds.

Two new things I'd like to try this year are vine scrapes and horizontal rubs. I've seen different people have success with these.

The public land I hunt for the majority of the time has a bunch of tracks I've never scouted. So I usually try and hit 2-3 new spots per year.

I've got a bunch of cell cams, so I shouldn't have to make too many trips out there and back checking cameras.

I did get a new stand and sticks after season, but I think I've got it all pretty well setup for how I'm going to hunt this year. I may practice the setup a few times before season but I think it'll work out well.

And I always have to force myself to shoot my bow. I love hunting and woodsmanship but I don't love archery, per say. However, I'm not a great shot. So I should be shooting my bow more.

Comment

As Kirby stated- The biggest one, ESPECIALLY after working in a bow shop is to check your bow and practice with it. And if you need to order strings, DO IT BEFORE THE FOURTH OF JULY. I can't stress that enough. From July 4th and on, most string manufacturers are gonna be at 6 weeks out on string orders. Its just the nature of the beast.

For the guys going to the mountains in the early fall- you are almost in that window, not to mention "shooting" the strings and cables in- and a tune.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                      I planted a bunch of trees in March. Now babysitting trees in this drought. This week I put down 2'x2' weed barriers around them. Hauling water for 70+ trees. Did a little management work in the mature woods. Opening up to let sunlight hit the ground. Deer are hammering a few mineral stumps. (See pics). Trying to clean/clear access routes to make getting to and from stands quieter.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

That all sounds like a tremendous amount of work. What type of mineral do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post

A solid reminder for me to get my new limbs installed.
                        I have done the whole hauling sacks of corn it, and agree it’s not worth it. Heat stroke or hogs or both!

What mineral do you use?

The whole buck beds thing isn’t something I personally believe is as prominent in many eco regions in Texas, as it is up in northern states. That could be my lack of familiarity or experience up north though.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                          I always dread going out in the summer because it can be dangerously hot, but I'm a big believer in 'you get out what you put in'. So, I always end up getting out and putting up cameras. Plus I do a lot of online map scouting!

My plan this year is to put out cameras mid-July over year-round-scrapes, mock scrapes and water sources, just to see what's out there. Bucks will have pretty well-developed antlers by that time. I'll choose my camera locations based on past experiences, spots that typically have deer year over year and new spots I haven't tried yet. For the spots that give me good intel, I'll start picking out trees to hang in and track multiple entry/exit routes on OnX for different winds.

Two new things I'd like to try this year are vine scrapes and horizontal rubs. I've seen different people have success with these.

The public land I hunt for the majority of the time has a bunch of tracks I've never scouted. So I usually try and hit 2-3 new spots per year.

I've got a bunch of cell cams, so I shouldn't have to make too many trips out there and back checking cameras.

I did get a new stand and sticks after season, but I think I've got it all pretty well setup for how I'm going to hunt this year. I may practice the setup a few times before season but I think it'll work out well.

And I always have to force myself to shoot my bow. I love hunting and woodsmanship but I don't love archery, per say. However, I'm not a great shot. So I should be shooting my bow more.

I have the same feelings, I dread it. It is miserable and I tend to get pretty disgusted with my “big plans” very quickly and usually cuss myself for trying to do too much.

I am going to make myself go do just the same as far as cameras, I have a few soaking but mainly just looking for a single buck if he still exist. The others are for new areas I’ve never been and some for recon on previous target bucks. Summer time is the hardest for me to capture mature bucks on camera, I’ve spent a lot of effort, fuel, time, and sweat and been highly disappointed numerous times. My chigger bites out numbered my buck photos 1,000 to 1. I also wanted to try horizontal rubs this year to see how and if bucks took to them like on some YouTube channels. What type of timber do you plan on using? I thought a pine limb, but would prefer a cedar limb. I like water sources but it ticks me off when some piece of shyt has the same idea, and steals my card or camera when I saw there’s and waved. That steers me away from water sources.

I’m very excited for this season. I’ve been preaching for a couple years to my hunting buddies and my dad that 2022 is going to be the year for alot of big mature TX public land bucks to be taken, this dry climate is stunting growth though.

I too want to get some more practice in, especially for Sept. I have some unfinished business in Colorado to do. I’d love to make a scouting trip up there but don’t think it’s necessary, my confidence level of finding elk there is greater than me finding another big buck In TX if that means anything.

I’d like new sticks, I have XOPs and have no complaints. But lighter ones would be better.

Comment

A solid reminder for me to get my new limbs installed.
                            I have done the whole hauling sacks of corn it, and agree it’s not worth it. Heat stroke or hogs or both!

What mineral do you use?

The whole buck beds thing isn’t something I personally believe is as prominent in many eco regions in Texas, as it is up in northern states. That could be my lack of familiarity or experience up north though.

I've been using trophy rocks which seem to work best. I just wish the price was a little better for what you get.

The feed store near me has mineral licks for cattle and the folks I've talked to that use them say that they don't get as many pics versus the trophy rocks, but they still get pictures. For all I know it could simply be the salt content What keeps me from trying it is the fact that the cattle blocks weigh a LOT more!

But then again the tiny flavored mineral block squares have been absolutely worthless for me.

And as to the bedding thing, I just flat out think summer bedding is a complete 180 from what it'll be in in the fall. But then again bedding from October to November is almost a complete 180 as well.

Comment

Got a new string on my old bow last month after having an issue right before season and not being able to get it replaced. Had to borrow dad's to hunt.

Been looking at some areas to access by water. Trying to determine if I should get a kayak for deer access and ducks.

As far as minerals go, I didn't know you could use those on public. When I had a lease the trophy rock was always popular. I would also use the granular cattleman salt. Dig the dirt up quite a bit then pour the salt and mix dirt back in. Deer would be digging at the ground for months.

Comment

Yeah they are spypoint, just getting the cheapest I can so it doesn't P*** me off when one is stolen and I can cover more areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X