Indian Mounds Wilderness ETX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Mounds Wilderness ETX

Have any of you hunted Indian Mounds Wilderness east of Hemphill? What are your opinions on deer hunting this area vs the rest of Sabine NF which is managed with cyclical burning?

Originally posted by DLoop View Post
    Have any of you hunted Indian Mounds Wilderness east of Hemphill? What are your opinions on deer hunting this area vs the rest of Sabine NF which is managed with cyclical burning?
    There are no deer in Sabine County

Comment

I have, back in about 1985 or so just after it became wilderness.
      Untrammeled by man my azz. That area had many roads and was fenced back then, before it became wilderness.

Comment

Tagged on this one.

Comment

It is definitely less accessible now than how you describe it in the 80s. Basically 2 man road running N/S from 83 towards Housen. Really no forest service roads within the boundaries to speak of. I’m really just curious because it is so much different than the surrounding forest. A quick look at satellite imagery and it stands out like a sore thumb. Younger timber, thicker understory (for now), and more hardwoods than managed forest. I’ll be checking it out this year.

Comment

Following. I didn't know you could hunt Indian Mounds itself. I do a fair bit of hunting in Sabine NF as my family owns ~25 acres surrounded by the forest right up the road from the mounds. There are plenty of deer, some very nice ones. It is just a pain in the *** to hunt lol, typical of east Texas though.

Comment

Maybe one of you scouting that area will run across that Mathew Edgar fellow……….what a cluster……

Back on track though, I know a few people that hunt that area and all say that access is far and few between. There has been some respectful animals taken the last few years also out of that government ground.

Rwc
              Last edited by Rwc; 06-15-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                Maybe one of you scouting that area will run across that Mathew Edgar fellow……….what a cluster……

Back on track though, I know a few people that hunt that area and all say that access is far and few between. There has been some respectful animals taken the last few years also out of that government ground.

Rwc
                What a cluster indeed!

I've taken quite a few good ones through the years. Last year was a tough one but I left some big ones running around my neck of the woods. Hopefully the local outlaws entertain themselves somewhere else lmao

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                  What a cluster indeed!

I've taken quite a few good ones through the years. Last year was a tough one but I left some big ones running around my neck of the woods. Hopefully the local outlaws entertain themselves somewhere else lmao
                  Understood; I have never hunted that area around the Wilderness area, our land is about 15 miles north, so I tend to focus on the NF around us.

Best of luck this season and watch out for Matthew.....ha

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                  X