No announcement yet.

2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts? Ive been corresponding with three of the largest, most popular rod companies in Texas. I’m looking for three new rods, each dedicated to its own style/lure setup and told them all of the rods they offer are in budget. Two of the three have gotten back to me and have recommended the same setup for all three and the entry level rod. I’m wondering if they are recommending that because margins are greater on those rods. Seems if a rod company makes 8-10 different rods they would recommend ATLEAST one of the other options.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
      Thoughts? Ive been corresponding with three of the largest, most popular rod companies in Texas. I’m looking for three new rods, each dedicated to its own style/lure setup and told them all of the rods they offer are in budget. Two of the three have gotten back to me and have recommended the same setup for all three and the entry level rod. I’m wondering if they are recommending that because margins are greater on those rods. Seems if a rod company makes 8-10 different rods they would recommend ATLEAST one of the other options.
      Some companies entry rods are pretty good. Why don't you share what you are looking for and what was recommended to you?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

All spinning rods:

Soft plastic, spoon exclusive rod.
        Mauler with a tail under it rod.
        Live bait/ballyhoo red rod.

Comment

Not sure what you’re looking for exactly, but I’ve been really happy with Castaway rods. Been exclusively fishing them now for 3 years or so. They had a great deal at the houston fishing show a while back with buy one get one, so I brought home 6 new rods. Lol. All my set ups are the exact same. Either spinner or casting, my spinning stuff is a little heavier for chunking popping corks and bait, and my baitcast stuff is light and short for wading. I hate spinning stuff for lures so I got no advice for that. Lol. Castaway rods, something in medium power would cover all your needs.
          Last edited by panhandlehunter; 04-23-2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Changed it up today and went Bowfishing. Buddy’s invited me to go with them.

We ended up sticking 15 Tilapia, 3 spotted gar, and 2 buffalo.

Wind was rocking and rolling. We found a few coves and were semi protected.

Had a side bet going for first, biggest, and most. I got lucky and stuck the first, most, and biggest!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fish4food; 04-23-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Saltwater talapia??

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Saltwater talapia??
                Vertical flounder

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You could get 3 different waterloo salinity’s all in different lengths and actions and accomplish that. It a great rod for the money.

You could do the same thing with the Laguna liquid series rods. IMO it’s the better rod between them and waterloo but neither are bad rods.

I don’t throw lures on spinning tackle and if it weren’t for my wife and kids I would even own a spinning rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Vertical flounder

vertical flounder! l have to remember that.

Comment

They probably figure if you don't know what rods you need that you are more likely to be looking at their entry level rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                        They probably figure if you don't know what rods you need that you are more likely to be looking at their entry level rods.
                        Maybe so. Their loss if that’s the case. I’d figure if I tell them budget isn’t an issue and gave them pretty specific needs/setups they would look a little harder at it.

Comment

All spinning rods:

Soft plastic, spoon exclusive rod.
                          Mauler with a tail under it rod.
                          Live bait/ballyhoo red rod.

Really the first two can be the same rod. Pick the length you like. A 7' Med Light would be about ideal. A mauler cork is pretty light, you can throw maulers with the same rod you throw spoons and soft plastics with. Of the different options if you are going to buy a higher end rod spend the money on your lure rod. Put a 2000 or 2500 size reel on it and fill it with 20# braid.

On a bait rod for throwing popping corks with shrimp, cut mullet and ballyhoo, etc A 7' or 7'6" Med to Med-Hvy is what you want. Every rod company is different on what a Med or Med Hvy is, one company's med is another's med hvy. You just need to feel of them and make sure they have the backbone you want and that they will throw the weight you want to throw. There really isn't any reason to buy a super high end rod for your bait rod unless you just want to. In fact, the slightly slower, softer actions of the lower end blanks are often preferable to a really fast action when it comes to fishing with bait. Put a 2500 or 3000 size reel on it and fill it with 30# braid.

There are plenty of good brands to choose from. It really is just personal preference as to what you like the feel of best.

Comment

Really the first two can be the same rod. Pick the length you like. A 7' Med Light would be about ideal. A mauler cork is pretty light, you can throw maulers with the same rod you throw spoons and soft plastics with. Of the different options if you are going to buy a higher end rod spend the money on your lure rod. Put a 2000 or 2500 size reel on it and fill it with 20# braid.

On a bait rod for throwing popping corks with shrimp, cut mullet and ballyhoo, etc A 7' or 7'6" Med to Med-Hvy is what you want. Every rod company is different on what a Med or Med Hvy is, one company's med is another's med hvy. You just need to feel of them and make sure they have the backbone you want and that they will throw the weight you want to throw. There really isn't any reason to buy a super high end rod for your bait rod unless you just want to. In fact, the slightly slower, softer actions of the lower end blanks are often preferable to a really fast action when it comes to fishing with bait. Put a 2500 or 3000 size reel on it and fill it with 30# braid.

There are plenty of good brands to choose from. It really is just personal preference as to what you like the feel of best.
                            Thanks Glenn. This is 10x the feedback from the rod cos.

Comment

This is exactly how I set-up our spinning rigs for my wife and guests.

Comment

Kid has a week left in Florida, he says he's ready to come home and then sends this

Comment

Working...
                                X