Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
    I've complained about these units every year for the last three years. And I've complained about how they're maintained by the park management in the survey. If you want to locally hunt Sam Houston is a far better option. With the new preference point system it sucks to put in for these hunts when there is great NWR lands to win instead. It's just a waste of preference points.

How many times have you hunted these units? Or ever hunted Hirsch unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Abrooks118 View Post
      How many times have you hunted these units? Or ever hunted Hirsch unit?

Every year for the last three years. I meant to imply that when I said I’ve complained for three years. I still put in for the squirrel hunts at Brierwood and boars den as there are a lot of squirrels out there. But they won’t let you hunt hogs on the squirrel hunts.

Comment

Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit???

Now you got me second guessing myself.

Comment

Now you got me second guessing myself.

Just don't go expecting a deer and you will be fine. It's legit a hog hunters paradise most of the time. I already have a place covered up in hogs, so I don't want to lose points and pay $100+ to hunt out there anymore. There are some way better NWR hunts I would rather save those points for. I've seen far more deer hunting Sam Houston than I have seen out there.

Comment

I went squirrel hunting on the Butler tract yesterday and it was a nice day to be outside. Saw a couple of squirrels and got one but mostly was scouting around trying to get my bearings. There is a good squirrel population and signs suggest a good hog population too. I did not see any deer sign. It was a pleasent surprise to see that the mosquitos were not bad at all. Someone mentioned spiders and yes they were heavy out there and some nasty ones hanging in the middle of the path at face height. I will go back but with little expectations. It will be more about getting outdoors then hunting hard because I don't think these are the places for it. Going out there yesterday still beat a day at the office or sitting in my recliner at home.

Comment

Wonder why there’s no deer. Looks like decent habitat, at least hitch unit. Tons of cover, tons of acorns, plenty of water.

Guess there’s just too many pigs out there driving the deer out?

Comment

When I've talked to some of the locals their stance is the hogs have out competed them. It's not isolated to the refuge it seems local private properties are having the same issues in the area. Along with the fact it's mentioned a lot of poaching has happened out there over the years.

Comment

Wonder why there’s no deer. Looks like decent habitat, at least hitch unit. Tons of cover, tons of acorns, plenty of water.

Guess there’s just too many pigs out there driving the deer out?

Have you gone out there hunting yet??? Please update this post if you do. I drew the rifle hunt 11/6-14 and like I said, I did some scouting. I only had a few raccoons and a lone coyote show up on my cameras. I had put 2 cameras out on opposite ends of the place. I did see deer signs, lots of hog sign, but did not see either on either of my cameras.

Regardless, I plan to hunt it hard for at least 7 of the 9 days I have. It's the only thing I've drawn this year so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                    Have you gone out there hunting yet??? Please update this post if you do. I drew the rifle hunt 11/6-14 and like I said, I did some scouting. I only had a few raccoons and a lone coyote show up on my cameras. I had put 2 cameras out on opposite ends of the place. I did see deer signs, lots of hog sign, but did not see either on either of my cameras.

Regardless, I plan to hunt it hard for at least 7 of the 9 days I have. It's the only thing I've drawn this year so far.
                    Get'r done man. Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post

I haven’t gone to hunt yet, just scouted one time. I plan to go sit in the next couple weeks, hoping for a cold front to roll through. I’ll be sure to update on my experience.

Comment

I haven’t gone to hunt yet, just scouted one time. I plan to go sit in the next couple weeks, hoping for a cold front to roll through. I’ll be sure to update on my experience.

I'm sure you're fully aware but you do know the archery permit is basically the whole month of October, right? 2nd-24th...

Comment

Yes sir. Wish I could take full advantage of it but got too much going on preventing me from being out there.

Comment

Ever get out there yet?

Comment

Just haven’t had the time to get out there. Of course I have the busiest October of my
                              Life when I finally draw something. May just stick to my private ground that is a lot closer due to time restrictions. If I make it out there to hunt I will for sure post my experience here.

Comment

Well, I'm out here now and was here all day yesterday. Only seen 1 squirrel so far. Honestly I'd be happy with a pig. But sitting all day and seeing nothing is brutal.

Comment

Working...
                                X